Speed camera rant!!!!

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's deceleration that kills not speed. 90%ish of us now have to drive by numbers; we are being herded like cattle and no one is allowed to drive according to the circumstances. 30mph in dense fog is too fast; 40mph in the centre lane of a motorway is too slow. We should all know that but those who do will never get caught 'speeding'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Now that's just another silly idea.

The current limit is fine. You just need to stick to it and not cry like a girl when you get caught.

Not crying like a girl, merely annoyed that there was (a) a sign for a queue when there was no queue (b) no sign to reduce to 60 prior to the one for 50 (c) more danger reducing speed than driving safely to the road.

I could have been crashed into 3 times on an empty road as I was forced to drive slower than the traffic around me.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Near where I live there is a little village with a 30 mph limit.
On many occasions I get frustrated following 'trilby hat' drivers along the good 60 mph road who are driving at 40 mph,
When they reach the village they just carry on at the same speed, 40 mph. They only seem capable of driving at one speed.
I have been caught once in 40 years. I was driving on a strange road that I thought was 40mph but was 30 mph. I don't think I was the first to be nabbed on that stretch of open road.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not crying like a girl, merely annoyed that there was (a) a sign for a queue when there was no queue (b) no sign to reduce to 60 prior to the one for 50 (c) more danger reducing speed than driving safely to the road.

I could have been crashed into 3 times on an empty road as I was forced to drive slower than the traffic around me.

Deal with it and move on!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The bottom line is James is not so much moaning about being caught speeding, he admits he was. It is more wondering why the hell in the middle of the night, when the road is clear and visibility is fine, the speed on that stretch of motorway was being limited to 50.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The bottom line is James is not so much moaning about being caught speeding, he admits he was. It is more wondering why the hell in the middle of the night, when the road is clear and visibility is fine, the speed on that stretch of motorway was being limited to 50.

Computers go wrong from time to time do they not?

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your still sniffling Justine.

If you think it's ok to break the law when it suits you then don't complain when you are caught. Forget about trying to make excuses and accept it. You sped...you got caught. Cant see anything that changes the law to make you and others to think it is ok to speed at any time that suits you. I just thought speed limits were for everyone.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You ever worked on a motorway with cars driving past at 70mph?

Yes I have actually. My father was the regional manager at the AA traffic management so I had a bit of job working for them when an extra pair of hands was needed while I was at college. Yes that involved getting a big stack of motorway cones on my shoulder and crossing lanes of the motorway while traffic was on it. Also those great big class 1 signs where no fun either.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your still sniffling Justine.

If you think it's ok to break the law when it suits you then don't complain when you are caught. Forget about trying to make excuses and accept it. You sped...you got caught. Cant see anything that changes the law to make you and others to think it is ok to speed at any time that suits you. I just thought speed limits were for everyone.

This is what screaming mad attention seekers do.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is the brand new section of the 3 to 4 lane M74 through Glasgow set at max of 50/60 mph. when the old section is 70.

All new roads in Scotland have lower than the NSL for the first while. Between Dundee and Carnoustie the new dual carriageway is limited to 40 mph.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Indeed,... I like that idea.

50mph for England of course ;)

..and I'd rather EVERY speed camera was active at ALL times.... I'd be more than happy to just trundle along knowing the guy behind me isn't going to hit me at 75 mph when I'm doing 40 or 50.

(makes me wonder if the UK want it to be 80mph so they can catch out MORE PEOPLE when they put up 50mph 'queue ahead' signs in the middle of the night!!!!) Night-time stealth tax at it's best!

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Near where I live there is a little village with a 30 mph limit.
On many occasions I get frustrated following 'trilby hat' drivers along the good 60 mph road who are driving at 40 mph,
When they reach the village they just carry on at the same speed, 40 mph. They only seem capable of driving at one speed.
I have been caught once in 40 years. I was driving on a strange road that I thought was 40mph but was 30 mph. I don't think I was the first to be nabbed on that stretch of open road.

The one speed wonders. Most annoying drivers on the road. Lots around here and the roads don't have a lot of safe passing areas so usually find myself stuck.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No just ban speeding, not cars that would be just silly... You haven't really thought about that response.

Ok, so why shouldn't we lower the limit in built up areas to 10mph? That'd be safer for children right? Or how about 5mph? That'd be safer still wouldn't it?

Anyway, I think we've both missed the point of the OP, which is what can and should a person do when everyone else around is ignoring the speed limits to the point that it actually endangers the driver to obey them? If the speed limits are meant to make the roads safer but are, because they are set inappropriately low, making it more dangerous, what should an individual driver do, remembering that the only driving he has any influence over is his own?

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, so why shouldn't we lower the limit in built up areas to 10mph? That'd be safer for children right? Or how about 5mph? That'd be safer still wouldn't it?

Anyway, I think we've both missed the point of the OP, which is what can and should a person do when everyone else around is ignoring the speed limits to the point that it actually endangers the driver to obey them? If the speed limits are meant to make the roads safer but are, because they are set inappropriately low, making it more dangerous, what should an individual driver do, remembering that the only driving he has any influence over is his own?

What ever the speed limit is just simply stick to it. Simples