Sock it to me

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This type of thread has been done a death so many times, so what's the point really, but for what its worth.....I hope this ends as the old duds die of. Dictating such stupidity as sock colour is a waste of my life and energy. It will end as generations move forward.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I wouldn't turn up like a scruff obviously, in fact I dress quite smartly.

It seems to me that if a club is going to be so pedantic about socks its likely to be the sort of place full of stuffed shirts full of their own self importance.

Not the sort of place i'm bothered about playing at.

In fairness I don't travel far to play these days, family life dictates golf is not top of my priorities so I don't expect to rock up somewhere and find myself in this situation.

A lot of assumptions and judgments there based on a dress code - some of the best courses in the country still have rules about long socks with shorts or no trainer socks etc - shouldn’t ever be judged by a dress code. Some course for example do it to help protect golfers with lots of gorse and heather so long socks saves the legs being ripped apart

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This type of thread has been done a death so many times, so what's the point really, but for what its worth.....I hope this ends as the old duds die of. Dictating such stupidity as sock colour is a waste of my life and energy. It will end as generations move forward.
Do you really think so? I get what you're saying and agree 100% but I fear a lot of clubs will continue to enforce the rule as "tradition". How can one item (or two if you're being pedantic and want a sock on each foot) of clothing cause so much consternation

D

Deleted member 1418

The real issue here is respect.

When you play at any club/course other than your own you follow their rules and regulations, that have been agreed upon by their members and Committee.

If you turn up without checking these, and are then politely asked to change, then in my opinion you do it without any fuss whatsoever. If that means you end up shelling out for an over-priced pair of FJ socks, then so be it - it's only your own fault for not checking first. After all, the fact that you've turned up their in the first place indicates that you had a desire to play the course! If you get the arse and flounce off then you should probably go back to crayon crunching rather than play golf!!! ;):D:D

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Telling you right now, only time I'm wearing knee length socks is with my kilt.

Shorts and knee length socks! Never seen anything that comes even close to being so stupid looking. Probably warmer than wearing trousers and totally defeats the purpose.

I couldn't care what the course was and how desperate I was to play it - it just isn't happening. I'd be back in the car.

Black socks, couldn't care less, ankle/sports socks again I couldn't care less. Knee length no way Jose!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The real issue here is respect.

When you play at any club/course other than your own you follow their rules and regulations, that have been agreed upon by their members and Committee.

If you turn up without checking these, and are then politely asked to change, then in my opinion you do it without any fuss whatsoever. If that means you end up shelling out for an over-priced pair of FJ socks, then so be it - it's only your own fault for not checking first. After all, the fact that you've turned up their in the first place indicates that you had a desire to play the course! If you get the arse and flounce off then you should probably go back to crayon crunching rather than play golf!!! ;):D:D
Perfectly put sir

D

Deleted member 3432

A lot of assumptions and judgments there based on a dress code - some of the best courses in the country still have rules about long socks with shorts or no trainer socks etc - shouldn’t ever be judged by a dress code. Some course for example do it to help protect golfers with lots of gorse and heather so long socks saves the legs being ripped apart

I have no problem if these courses want golfers to dress like pillocks, you just won't see me on that course.

I play on a course with plenty of gorse and heather so know what happens when you get in that stuff but maybe they should consider trousers only if they are that concerned about golfers welfare.

Some of these silly dress codes arn't exactly helping attracting the younger generation to this great game and those people are the future of the game.

D

Deleted Member 1156

This really does make me laugh. If you don't want to wear white socks or ankle socks or even knee length socks have you maybe considered just wearing trousers?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some of these silly dress codes arn't exactly helping attracting the younger generation to this great game and those people are the future of the game.
I can honestly say that knowing literally 100's of youngsters who play or have played NONE of them have been put off by dress code. Sure there's a balance between what teenagers want to wear and what the older generations think is appropriate but 'most' places I've been to have found a happy medium. (Be that white ankle socks, caps worn the right way round, latest Nike/Puma gear etc)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
This really does make me laugh. If you don't want to wear white socks or ankle socks or even knee length socks have you maybe considered just wearing trousers?

Well when one where’s shorts, one would assume it’d be more comfortable to wear shorts than trousers.

How about if you don’t want to wear white socks, don’t wear white socks and play golf at a backwards club.

I can go to a club looking like a prize prat dressed in what could only be described as a royal and awesome technicolour dream-coat polo , garish trousers and clown shoes with spikes on... but can’t wear black socks...

The consistency, lack of thought, class, and blindly following a rule dreamt up by a generation that played with wooden clubs, balls comprising of a sheep’s knacker, Plus fours and inclusive only to the rich is just well... backwards.

I’m done, I’ll not sleep I’m that wound up. 😂

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I havent time to read all of the responses yet, but may take is:-

1. They should be called Hose and not socks - peasants.
2. I think LA Lakers baseball socks (sorry hose) should only be apt for men.
3. Womens should be black with that line running up the back of them and should have them nice little bows on them, as well.

(y)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I havent time to read all of the responses yet, but may take is:-

1. They should be called Hose and not socks - peasants.
2. I think LA Lakers baseball socks (sorry hose) should only be apt for men.
3. Womens should be black with that line running up the back of them and should have them nice little bows on them, as well.

(y)
😂😂 you on a right roll tonight 😂😂

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am not one of these people who will even try to disrespect the older course and traditions. I will abide by the rules if I choose to play the course, but does not mean I agree with them.

I for one will respect as long as they are around, but will work towards change. It smacks of a fashion that was many decades ago the norm. Today it is antiquated at best and in my opinion looks ridiculous. Others clearly disagree - that's OK with me.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i wonder if the cricketers have the same rebellion against white - i am sure some nice pink numbers could look just as smart?

Or the footballers that move clubs and have to change from blue to red (well who would want to be blue anyway! :eek:) just to play at the new club!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I said in an earlier post, that anyone with a tendency to want to wear black socks - anywhere - should be strangled at birth. I've read all the arguments and have relented. It was a bit harsh, & l no longer think like that.

You'll still get pointed at in the street, and children will get warned about you if they don't eat their greens - but your only true penalty will be to make a donation to Comic Relief every time you go out in public wearing them.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i wonder if the cricketers have the same rebellion against white - i am sure some nice pink numbers could look just as smart?

Or the footballers that move clubs and have to change from blue to red (well who would want to be blue anyway! :eek:) just to play at the new club!

👍 I wonder how many would turn down an invite to play Augusta because the dress code etc might be a bit 'traditional' :rolleyes:

I am not one of these people who will even try to disrespect the older course and traditions. I will abide by the rules if I choose to play the course, but does not mean I agree with them.

I for one will respect as long as they are around, but will work towards change. It smacks of a fashion that was many decades ago the norm. Today it is antiquated at best and in my opinion looks ridiculous. Others clearly disagree - that's OK with me.

This for me is one of the best posts on the issue - regarding our home clubs it's guaranteed much easier to effect change from within than from the outside 👍

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wonder if (like a great many things) this ‘tradition’ of not wearing black socks could have its origins in the military

Would I be correct in assuming the military would not have accepted/allowed soldiers to wear black socks when wearing uniform or pt shorts?