Sock it to me

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whoa, people are wearing shorts and black shoes!!!!! Well, you're wrong'uns as well. Shorts should only be worn with either white, silver or brightly coloured trainer type golf shoes.

If you wear black shoes or traditional golf shoes with shorts you should be removed from polite society and thrashed with the branch of a nearby silver birch.....

D

Deleted member 21258

Whoa, people are wearing shorts and black shoes!!!!! Well, you're wrong'uns as well. Shorts should only be worn with either white, silver or brightly coloured trainer type golf shoes.

If you wear black shoes or traditional golf shoes with shorts you should be removed from polite society and thrashed with the branch of a nearby silver birch.....

I play in shorts and white socks/whitish golf shoes. Then have to change into black work shoes for the clubhouse for a quick drink.

Please forgive me, I'm off to rip a branch off the silver birch:ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you know what the best part of this "sock gate" is?

This thread will still be frequently updated in a hundred years time.

The sad thing is it is true, although hopefully not for 100 years. Today it is socks, tomorrow it could be caps in the bar, shirts untucked, shirts without collars, clubs that insist on J & T, the list goes on.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I see lots of people wearing black socks with white trainers these days. What makes them think it's a good look?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is rather funny and indicative of a forum that posts like this gets so much attention. You would think on first reading ...are you serious....but its really more to do with trend/style/antiquated dress sense from some clubs in general. It's a good talking point as 7 pages in a few days shows

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well, I’m playing tomorrow and I’ve decided that come what may, I am wearing black socks to play. Even if I have to do some last minute laundry.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When I’m playing golf I’m more interested in having blooming good time whilst out in the fresh air with my friends.
I don’t even take note of the colour of anyone’s socks tbh 😂.

Don’t let sock Colour ruin the good things in life people 😘

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There must be a reason why clubs request this. I too need to know why. And I refuse the answer of “it’s the rules”.
I won’t accept it. There must be a functional, logical reason for this.
I cannot follow arbitrary, pointless random rules in golf or life.

These topics really make me want to just kick someone. Ideally a miserable dinosaur committee member who has a fetish for long white socks.
Still waiting for an answer on this...

Pretty much every rule that exists in golf and life tends to have a purpose behind it, but not this sock nonsense it seems.

Visit site
I’m glad I don’t wear shorts to play golf in so I’ll wear whatever colour socks I like. But I did have an argument with a manager of the club I used to be at about why is it women can wear any colour but you insist it being just white for men?
The standard reply was rules of the club. So I said the clubs summer ball is coming up, what is the dress attire for that, dinner suits came his reply, and you’ll be wearing black I guess, Yes he said, will you be wearing white socks with your dinner suit, No! So if I turn up to play tomorrow in a black hat, black shirt, black shorts and black shoes, you expect me to wear white socks?
His face was a picture when he saw the irony in it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Still waiting for an answer on this...

Pretty much every rule that exists in golf and life tends to have a purpose behind it, but not this sock nonsense it seems.
I suspect the clubs are just following a long standing dress code and no one has challenged them to change it - I also suspect 99% of golfers who wear shorts wear white socks with them anyway so don’t really care about the rule

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I suspect the clubs are just following a long standing dress code and no one has challenged them to change it - I also suspect 99% of golfers who wear shorts wear white socks with them anyway so don’t really care about the rule
But again, why did the rule originally come about? What was the reason?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A friend that showed me a photo he had taken on holiday in Spain this year. If was with Miguel Angel Jimenez. Waist down was white shorts, black socks, black and white spats golf shoes.

Jimmy Ness is a God and can rock any look he likes.

Love the man and he's another who looks like he's going to be overlooked for a Ryder Cup captains berth.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not bothered what socks someone wears. Not bothered if they're in a Man Utd top or not. If a club rules states xx, I'll wear xx. If there's a discussion to be had about it I might join in but, to be honest, why raise your blood pressure over a pair of socks.

All I want to do is play golf. If someone wants me in a tutu, and its a club rule, I'll wear the tutu - it won't be a pretty sight.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A lot of assumptions and judgments there based on a dress code - some of the best courses in the country still have rules about long socks with shorts or no trainer socks etc - shouldn’t ever be judged by a dress code. Some course for example do it to help protect golfers with lots of gorse and heather so long socks saves the legs being ripped apart

Gorse proof socks; that's a new one Phil, do tell me where you can get them... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I suspect that the local rule for socks was brought in to ensure folk looked half decent when playing (even if their game was woeful). I tend to play in shorts where possible and have about 20 pairs of white sports/ankle socks which I use almost exclusively for golf. Really don't see a problem with the rule on this one.