Are We Being Conned

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest I think driver technology has not really moved a great deal since between 05-10 so it doesn't surprise me you find this. A guy I play with used an r7 tp until a couple of years back when he broke the shaft and he still cant find anything as good. The ball I think has improved a great deal more in this period

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Maybe take the Epic out for a couple of rounds and see if it's not due to conditions. Surely you epic stats are diminished due to winter?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
R7 Quad was/is right there as one of TM's best! It was produced at a time when the primary focus (at least in the R7 range) was on distance (The R5 was the 'more forgiving range) . Subsequent (460cc) heads have compromised outright distance somewhat in order to improve consistency for less than optimum strikes.

If you are already accurate, then modern Drivers may not be helping you.

Oh...And the (65gm from memory) shaft may be 'right for you' too!

As for being conned...Of course we are!

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe take the Epic out for a couple of rounds and see if it's not due to conditions. Surely you epic stats are diminished due to winter?
Your deluded mate if you think there would be a noticeable difference for a decent ball striker. The only thing would be the rogue will spin less but that itself may be bad as you need enough spin to keep the ball in the air. Modern drivers/some of them really arnt for your average joe

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Your deluded mate if you think there would be a noticeable difference for a decent ball striker. The only thing would be the rogue will spin less but that itself may be bad as you need enough spin to keep the ball in the air. Modern drivers/some of them really arnt for your average joe

Easy tiger. I simply said have a look.......
Game golf does total distance. Not carry. Pretty sure technology and spin have little effect when a ball lands on a fairway up north in winter......

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Easy tiger. I simply said have a look.......
Game golf does total distance. Not carry. Pretty sure technology and spin have little effect when a ball lands on a fairway up north in winter......
Modern drivers are very low spin and some people dont spin a driver much so the ball tends to dive out of the air and cost distance. Most modern drivers are designed for guys who swing 110 + because these guys review clubs or play with them so as long as these guys see good results they will always sell. Everyone wants to play the driver that's the longest on tour, it's just a fact . Taylormade had the greatest marketing ploy in golf history painting the driver heads white, everybody see whenever a tour player was using a tm driver

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Modern drivers are very low spin and some people dont spin a driver much so the ball tends to dive out of the air and cost distance. Most modern drivers are designed for guys who swing 110 + because these guys review clubs or play with them so as long as these guys see good results they will always sell. Everyone wants to play the driver that's the longest on tour, it's just a fact . Taylormade had the greatest marketing ploy in golf history painting the driver heads white, everybody see whenever a tour player was using a tm driver

I'm not disputing any of that. My only point or suggestion was to give it a summer outing too.

D

Deleted member 16999

UK spec R7 quads were non conforming, with the trampoline effect face.
Mine was American spec, and was conforming.

Just saying.
2 types of R7 Quad on the R & A website, R7 Quad with small R7 stamped on top left of Club face is conforming, R7 with Max stamped on top left of Club face is non-conforming, doesn’t say anything about UK or US spec. (y)

D

Deleted member 16999

Absolutely mate, not losing sleep over this and happy with either Driver, just surprised how well the R7 is going.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My fitted 910 won't be going anywhere until the head breaks or I wear it out. . It's been in my bag since they were first released and goes far enough for me. My oppo's with similar swing speeds and the latest tech only hit the ball the same distance as I do. To hit it farther you need to hit it harder, it's simple science.

sunshine

Visit site
My fitted 910 won't be going anywhere until the head breaks or I wear it out. . It's been in my bag since they were first released and goes far enough for me. My oppo's with similar swing speeds and the latest tech only hit the ball the same distance as I do. To hit it farther you need to hit it harder, it's simple science.

I see no reason to replace my 910 either. Especially after my mate hit a few balls with it at the range which all went further than his longest drive with his 917.

And Adam Scott seems to agree. He went back to his 910 for a while last year.

Heavy-grebo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a R9 Supertri last year, it was a similar price as that R7.
It's very forgiving for an older model and maybe just a few yards shorter than my fitted G30, (I've set it up like my current driver) but not many.
Today's drivers are way over priced for the gains you make IMO. There are bargains to be had out there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolutely mate, not losing sleep over this and happy with either Driver, just surprised how well the R7 is going.
I hit my old G25 at the range on Wednesday as the G driver was in my bag in my locker at the club and despite that being a couple of incarnations older I had forgotten how easy it was to swing and how forgiving it was and I was getting as much if not more distance than I'd expect with my current model. I don't think per se the tech has changed too much other than manufacturers have got better at getting the most out of off centre hits. I do share the opinion of others though and think the winter conditions would be skewing the Epic numbers