Sock it to me

D

Deleted member 16999

I wonder if (like a great many things) this ‘tradition’ of not wearing black socks could have its origins in the military

Would I be correct in assuming the military would not have accepted/allowed soldiers to wear black socks when wearing uniform or pt shorts?
Not quite mate, over the years been issued, Olive green, Tan, Black and sort of off white Arctic socks, never issued white, maybe the Gym Queens were?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not quite mate, over the years been issued, Olive green, Tan, Black and sort of off white Arctic socks, never issued white, maybe the Gym Queens were?

Yeah I see its more 'open' now but was thinking more like 70, 80 even 100 years back and at a time when its easy to imagine 'professionals' & military personnel were likely the rule-makers in clubs up & down the Uk

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simples for me

White golf shoes = White socks
Black golf shoes = Black socks

This is obvious isn't it? I haven't read all the thread but the same coloured sock to shoe should be the standard and should be either trainer/invisible or ankle no higher. Simples.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Never in my life have i once thought to coordinate my socks to the colour of my golf shoes... or any shoes I'm wearing for that matter..

What! how do you manage that

I not only have to coordinate the colour of sock to shoe but I need to factor in the belt and cap too (its probably me that has the bigger issue to be honest :eek:)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Socks.

6 pages of socks, brilliant. 😂

I think my next post will be on golf belts and why it needs to must match/coordinate with your golf shoes

Sadly I don't believe enough clubs have included this item sufficiently in the dress-codes and I urge you all to bring it up at the next AGM !

Wolf

Visit site
What! how do you manage that

I not only have to coordinate the colour of sock to shoe but I need to factor in the belt and cap too (its probably me that has the bigger issue to be honest :eek:)
Well I go through this really difficult process of putting my socks on then not caring if they match my shoes.

However totally with you on belts matching shoes, and hats matching outfits. I actually am well in double figures for hats and trainers owned much to my Mrs disgust :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to bother me but no longer. All summer I have been wearing 'trainer' socks - or slightly longer 'sports' socks - but usually the former. It's how younger folk generally wear trainers / sports shoes these days and so that's fine by me. Colour? If you have the physique of Nadal then anything - even black or dark socks - will look good. If you are normal then chances are they won't look that great - but on many, if not most, blokes wearing shorts don't look too cool. So if someone wants to wear dark socks then in this I have no real problem.

I have more problem with 'loudmouth' shirts and trousers as they are a visual distraction to anyone within 100yds :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
White socks = Michael Jackson.

That reminds me of an old joke…

A pallbearer, a butler and a chauffeur went to Neverland… ach I won’t bore you, you’ve probably all heard it before, suffice to say they found it in the sock drawer! :ROFLMAO: