Sock it to me

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club bought in a very long winded dress code including what was acceptable in the lounge.

They then were reminded that our catering and bar are franchised so we have no say in what is acceptable in those areas.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Incidentally I wonder if Rory, Phil et al dropped into a local ‘snobs are us’ golf club dressed as they are in the earlier picture, whether the rules would get swiftly relaxed.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
hmmm.

I pop to the supermarket before or after a round usually. So ideally despite being in golf clothes would like to look not a complete idiot. So I will wear trainer socks. Black. Black are preferable as they don’t look mingin on the sole when you remove your shoes too.

Anybody who wears any colour socks Pulled up above the ankle with shorts looks ridiculous mind. Keep em low, keep it cool.

D

Deleted member 1418

Are brown, grey or navy socks ok instead of black?

D

Deleted member 15344

WTF have I just read 😲

Trainer socks for casual wear when wearing shorts and the same for when playing golf - and in white , why on earth would you wear any other colour 😲

And would people seriously walk away from a golf course because you have been asked to change your socks ?

And I have no idea why clubs deem certain socks acceptable or not but it’s their rules and they are to be followed - if it’s at a club you are a member then look to change it using the correct manner

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
WTF have I just read 😲

Trainer socks for casual wear when wearing shorts and the same for when playing golf - and in white , why on earth would you wear any other colour 😲

And would people seriously walk away from a golf course because you have been asked to change your socks ?

And I have no idea why clubs deem certain socks acceptable or not but it’s their rules and they are to be followed - if it’s at a club you are a member then look to change it using the correct manner
When my mate Lee played at Cinque Ports, he was wearing ankle socks. They told him he had to wear socks below the knee which obviously he didn’t have. They then sold him a pair of knee socks from the pro shop for £17.:eek:

Playing with Swinger and dingdong, but we didn’t laugh, or rib him about it.:whistle:

Nice bit of business for the pro shop. (y)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Incidentally I wonder if Rory, Phil et al dropped into a local ‘snobs are us’ golf club dressed as they are in the earlier picture, whether the rules would get swiftly relaxed.

Not at L.Aston where I have it on good authority Woosnam (at his peak) and 3 fellow pros once got turned away after turning up on spec as they hadn't booked in advance! (the course they were originally due to play was closed/waterlogged).

Doubt much has changed

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club bought in a very long winded dress code including what was acceptable in the lounge.

They then were reminded that our catering and bar are franchised so we have no say in what is acceptable in those areas.

Surprised at that, would have though the club would have overall say but can see why

D

Deleted member 3432

WTF have I just read 😲

I would have no problem walking away if I were deemed to be "wearing the wrong socks".

Tradition has its place in golf clubs but not in the socks you choose to wear o_O

D

Deleted member 15344

I would have no problem walking away if I were deemed to be "wearing the wrong socks".

Tradition has its place in golf clubs but not in the socks you choose to wear o_O

Do you always check the dress code before going to an new course ?

Wolf

Visit site
My take is...

If I'm wearing socks with shorts it's either white trainer socks or invisible socks but that's merely personal preference.

But I couldn't careless what socks other people choose to wear and I fail to see how that makes them inappropriately dressed for golf.. I've seen guys wear horrendous trousers from places like Royal and Awesome combined with wearing polo shirts that look like a peacock has puked on it.. but because they are classed as trousers and polo top this is acceptable golf attire but yet we have a meltdown over non white socks.. Why?

Yes clubs have rules and if we want to play have to abide by them, but if your a member of that club you have a right to question that authority using the correct channels and seek change..

However clubs that still insist on "knee length hose" need to realise what century we are in and make a change to their archaic policy

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Why can you people still not differentiate what we're talking about here? I will always check a club's dress code, and if I didn't agree with it I most likely won't play there. There is no problem here for me. This discussion however is about why, in this day and age, do some people still think it's normal to mandate the colour of someone's socks but not any other item of their attire. It's just weird, quite frankly. We are analysing the merit or validity of clubs doing that, not our own action in response to it.

Flip that around though.

You won't play a course simply because you do't agree with a dress code. It's not like these clubs are forcing you to go and purchase £££ worth of kit - it's 99% likely that as a golfer you already have attire that would comply with the rules. I personally find that funnier then a club having a dress code that is outdated.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
There must be a reason why clubs request this. I too need to know why. And I refuse the answer of “it’s the rules”.
I won’t accept it. There must be a functional, logical reason for this.
I cannot follow arbitrary, pointless random rules in golf or life.

These topics really make me want to just kick someone. Ideally a miserable dinosaur committee member who has a fetish for long white socks.

D

Deleted member 3432

So you expect to turn up and to be able to wear what you deem to be acceptable and if the club have a different opinion you walk away ? Seems a bit daft

Well I wouldn't turn up like a scruff obviously, in fact I dress quite smartly.

It seems to me that if a club is going to be so pedantic about socks its likely to be the sort of place full of stuffed shirts full of their own self importance.

Not the sort of place i'm bothered about playing at.

In fairness I don't travel far to play these days, family life dictates golf is not top of my priorities so I don't expect to rock up somewhere and find myself in this situation.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The bottom line is if you're playing an away club then you're agreeing to abide to their club rules. If that includes white socks and socks of a certain length then abide by the request if you want to play there. If you don't like the dress code at your home club, then campaign to get it changed