Sock it to me

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fail to see how this looks better in white socks

Rafael-Nadal-1556118.jpg
But l fear one has to question anyone (male, that is) who chooses to wear an alice band .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Looks cannot enter the equation.
Yes, it might look crap wearing black socks with shorts but the courses that will turn away money from black socks wearers are the same ones that accept Loudmouth trousers, Galvin Green bright Lime, Pink and Orange shirts and shoes that look more at home on the running track.
I'd love to have been in the meeting that decided club rules....
"Oh, just one more thing...Black socks...can we ban them with shorts? Makes one look so...well, common..."
If you, as a Human, are being judged by the colour of your socks then we're doomed to burn in the fires of Hell for all eternity.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Looks cannot enter the equation.
Yes, it might look crap wearing black socks with shorts but the courses that will turn away money from black socks wearers are the same ones that accept Loudmouth trousers, Galvin Green bright Lime, Pink and Orange shirts and shoes that look more at home on the running track.
I'd love to have been in the meeting that decided club rules....
"Oh, just one more thing...Black socks...can we ban them with shorts? Makes one look so...well, common..."
If you, as a Human, are being judged by the colour of your socks then we're doomed to burn in the fires of Hell for all eternity.

Easy big fella, its just some forum banter :devilish:

Oh and for OOB, how would this look be improved with some snazzy black shin socks?
saynotoblacksocks.jpg

Come to think of it some snazzy white shin socks would look dreadful too! :cry:

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Or this?

(Lots of irrelevant other sports available)

Actually I'd state that tennis is relevant, it has an old stuffy image of "all white dress." Clubs are working hard to attract members, but still has a fairly distinct dress code that's not dissimilar to golf. No club I've played at (50-60 in the leagues at a guess) would ask you to wear any shade of sock. To me white socks scream loudly, "Where are my leather sandals? and while you're at it, bring me a hanky to tie round my head!!"

The point is kind of moot for me anyway as I don't wear shorts to play golf, but I'd simply turn away, and keep my money in my pocket rather than pander to someone's outmoded and out dated idea of what colour my underwear should be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seriously though...I want to know why black socks with shorts are banned. The fact that there is a rule is beside the point.
I just want to know what was so offensive about black socks back in the day when these clubs made these rules.. with all the other problems there are in the world, the colour of your socks should be pretty low on the list

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously though...I want to know why black socks with shorts are banned. The fact that there is a rule is beside the point.
I just want to know what was so offensive about black socks back in the day when these clubs made these rules.. with all the other problems there are in the world, the colour of your socks should be pretty low on the list
Same with the trainer socks. What is the issue?

Interesting that the pro's in the picture, different ages and Major winners, are all wearing socks that would be banned at a number of UK courses.

D

Deleted member 25172

And at the same time some people are wondering why, for example, the Brexit negotiations isn't just a straight forward road. People can't even agree on matters relating to the colour of socks which is ok to wear. :D

For the record: I don't understand the rule wherever it's applied, but if it's the rule, I go with it.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The point is kind of moot for me anyway as I don't wear shorts to play golf, but I'd simply turn away, and keep my money in my pocket rather than pander to someone's outmoded and out dated idea of what colour my underwear should be

Even if it was at say an Open rota venue and it was politely requested they sell you suitable socks for a couple quid?

I understand as I've turned down a few freebies over the years where J&T has been needed for post round dinner in the middle of a heatwave and I couldn't be arsed. Also turned down a visit to a very stuffy local club where J&T is required in the clubhouse at all times (even for a pre-round coffee). My choice not to play, no problem.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

You have to flip it round, how much worse would the world be if more people wore black socks with shorts! (i refer you to your fiery hell for a clue :p)

I too would be interested on the origin because I can only think of the 'look' being a reason, but not why a golf club would care about it so much as to write a rule to protect us

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Same with the trainer socks. What is the issue?

Interesting that the pro's in the picture, different ages and Major winners, are all wearing socks that would be banned at a number of UK courses.
TBF most places (including my own fairrly traditional club) now allow white ankle socks. Seems sensible compromise. Course dress code as well as bar/lounge dress code constantly under review as I'm sure it is at a lot of places...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Seriously though do we have any forum member who's been on a committee when the basis for this rule has been discussed?
(maybe one of the really really old fellas like Smiffy or Bob or Hogan!)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have a colleague who was in the Bermuda Coastguard... shorts and knee length socks were the order of the day... tradition, but still funny.

The diagram above is a bit out of date... but there is an inference of "dont be a scruffy sod!" :)
Of course, scruffy is a subjective word

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

Just found this little picture,

I've got a beard so I'm banned before I even get as far as my wardrobe

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-13.44.10.jpg
God help us with the the "acceptable" colour coordination, that look is as bad as the "not acceptable"

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to stop derailing Bob’s thread in OOB, I’m bringing golf socks into the lounge

I commented that wearing black socks with golf shorts was a no no (saw a couple of fellas sporting this look at the range this morning which drove me to post) So I guess there’s two things here, colour and length (remember we’re talking about when wearing shorts so we can forget about the more formal/classic golf shoes because you just wouldn’t would you!)

Length – ankle, that’s it really, none of this ‘invisible’ socks or socks half-way up your shin
Colour – it’s going to be predominantly white of course but can have a grey trim if wearing darker shoes

These are not the clubs rules, just mine

Tell me I’m wrong :rolleyes:
(gawd I wish I was on the course instead of the office... but at least its something to talk about :LOL:)

Your appraisal of socks is accurate.