Sock it to me

D

Deleted Member 1156

You can respect the rules and question them at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive. If there were such a rule at my club, I would comply with it but I would also seek an explanation as to why such a rule was in place and if it seemed to simply be there for the sake of it then I would endeavour to get it changed.
Yes you can and I would suggest that the vast majority of clubs do move with the times and regularly review their rules.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Because any colour other than white looks honking for short socks!!!

Also I reckon 99% of short/ankle socks are white so getting hold of them is easy.

If the rule is white socks then wear white socks.

And even if it wasn't the rule then your first point gives the reason why, it just looks wrong

I have no idea what the sock rule is where I play (or even if they have a rule at all) but its just the same way I know not to wear a certain colour golf cap with a certain colour of polo, it just doesn't go together

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The whole concept of sock rules is laughable to me. Do I think black socks look good with shorts? No, but I would not enforce a rule about it. That is questionable fashion not a hanging offence.

No trainer socks, often see that. Why? Really, why?

I played a club this year that did not allow trainer socks, pictures on the starters hut on the 1st tee confirming this and preferred knee length socks, although did not have it as a pure rule. I saw two old guys halfway around wearing knee length rugby socks. They looked ridiculous. Clubs that enforce a knee length rule really do need to look at themselves. It is 2018 not 1958.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wasnt sure if the OP was about "club rules" or "looking a right wally!":LOL:

Black socks with shorts looks ok with black shorts and black shoes! (if you must!)

It is a funny one where adults are repremanded for having the wrong colour socks.... never happened to me thankfully...

Definitely the latter ;)

As just posted I have no idea what/if there's a sock rule, but I do know I just couldn't do it (the black sock thing) Andy Murray barely gets away with black shorts/socks/trainers thing but he's a big fella to chance laughing at!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found it hilarious that you refused to buy a red polo when picked to represent your club in a match such is your desire not to conform.
I was never asked to buy one so you've either misunderstood, or worse, completely invented a scenario in your head.

I think what makes me laugh the most is why the socks specifically are such a burning issue. You want to wear a bright pink polo shirt? Fine. Want to wear Poulter-style trousers that are bright orange with a geometric pattern all over them? Fine. Bubba turning up with a bright green gloves and shoes? Fine. But grey socks?? Get out! :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 21258

I love these threads, they kill me.:ROFLMAO:

Played RSG when it was roasting hot, and seeing a number of guys having to buy knee length socks with shorts, made us chuckle. We were having a great laugh with a guy from USA on the 1st tee about it, as he had to buy a pair.

Wife overheard one guy saying on the patio that he had to take a pair of knee length white socks from his daughters draw in the morning. I hope he was joking but it did make us laugh.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Doesn't really bother me, thankfully in the days of the internet it is very easy to check before going to the club now and just comply, as I wish to play the course.:cool:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the day ever comes that I'm turned away because of the colour of my socks, I just might! Not before laughing my head off obviously.
Thing is (judging from posting history) I can't see you wanting to shell out enough to play somewhere that had such rules? (No problem with that).

I don't see what's wrong with seeing what the club's rules are and then respecting them or don't play.

If it's your home club then request a change of code via the proper channels.

If visiting then I'm not for people getting turned away or treated poorly (as sometimes happens). What should happen is the Pro Shop (usually) should have a small stock of (cheap!) suitable ones to sell.

BUT it's all down to how it's handled - politely and respectfully. Same way if you tried to enter a clubhouse in jeans, there's ways and means of handling the situation...

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was never asked to buy one so you've either misunderstood, or worse, completely invented a scenario in your head.

I think what makes me laugh the most is why the socks specifically are such a burning issue. You want to wear a bright pink polo shirt? Fine. Want to wear Poulter-style trousers that are bright orange with a geometric pattern all over them? Fine. Bubba turning up with a bright green gloves and shoes? Fine. But grey socks?? Get out! :ROFLMAO:
Golf is a game based heavily on rules and traditions. Question them all you like but club rules have evolved into what the members want and are happy with.

As always, accept them or play/join somewhere else.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with this 100%. All you ever get back from the 'old guard' shall we say is "they are the rules and the rules must be obeyed". How have they gone through 40, 50, 60 years of golf without questioning why a golf club would mandate the colour of their socks?? I find the concept hilarious.
Who is saying it can't be changed? Every club will have a process where changes can be requested no?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing is (judging from posting history) I can't see you wanting to shell out enough to play somewhere that had such rules? (No problem with that).

I don't see what's wrong with seeing what the club's rules are and then respecting them or don't play.
You're not wrong.

Golf is a game based heavily on rules and traditions. Question them all you like but club rules have evolved into what the members want and are happy with.

As always, accept them or play/join somewhere else.
Why can you people still not differentiate what we're talking about here? I will always check a club's dress code, and if I didn't agree with it I most likely won't play there. There is no problem here for me. This discussion however is about why, in this day and age, do some people still think it's normal to mandate the colour of someone's socks but not any other item of their attire. It's just weird, quite frankly. We are analysing the merit or validity of clubs doing that, not our own action in response to it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You're not wrong.

Why can you people still not differentiate what we're talking about here? I will always check a club's dress code, and if I didn't agree with it I most likely won't play there. There is no problem here for me. This discussion however is about why, in this day and age, do some people still think it's normal to mandate the colour of someone's socks but not any other item of their attire. It's just weird, quite frankly. We are analysing the merit or validity of clubs doing that, not our own action in response to it.

Despite being anti black-sock with shorts I have to agree that its weird that clubs mandate this item but not say the colour of golf cap for example

I can only imagine that using the scale of 'crime against colour coordination' it is deemed a greater crime with respect to socks than with caps :D

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Black sock with shorts? Simply, no.

On the golf course, no. Elsewhere, no. Anywhere in the known universe, no. Nothing to do with with golf, or stuffy old rules &/or stuffy old committee members. Just NOooooooo!!!! (There should be a gene test at birth for the propensity to do so, and anyone with a positive result should be quietly strangled in the natal unit).

I think l have put my point ... !

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Fail to see how this looks better in white socks

Rafael-Nadal-1556118.jpg

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
In all honesty. If you're wearing shorts and I can see your socks. Be in no doubt that you're a wrong'un. You probably wear Crocs cos they're comfy and gloves for driving.......