Sock gate (again)

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Yes back In the good old days , being a golf club member was quite the status symbol.
That's not really the case these days, although clearly for some they want it to be.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
View attachment 27872

Hmm someone mentioned social status before hmmmm....

And once again the Twitterati come to the rescue of those who can't be bothered to follow the rules or who think the rules shouldn't apply to them. It's on Twitter, it must be true... :rolleyes:

They're private members clubs, they are free to do what the majority of the members want them to do. If you're not a member, it's none of your business; if you are a member then you'll know what you signed up to and the channels to change it if there enough like minded members.

Did I miss your response to which club you're a member at, or is this another case of a non-member trying to impose their will on private members' clubs because they seem to think it's their God given right to do so?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Intrigued here, What other courses are on your avoid list? 😉

Elie and Luffness. Wouldn't play either again in any sort of summer conditions. I actually didn't even know Luffness insisted on long socks till yesterday but the principal remains the same, have stupid rules re dress and you won't get my custom.

The more people that vote with their feet the more they're "likely" to revisit said rules.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And once again the Twitterati come to the rescue of those who can't be bothered to follow the rules or who think the rules shouldn't apply to them. It's on Twitter, it must be true... :rolleyes:

They're private members clubs, they are free to do what the majority of the members want them to do. If you're not a member, it's none of your business; if you are a member then you'll know what you signed up to and the channels to change it if there enough like minded members.

Did I miss your response to which club you're a member at, or is this another case of a non-member trying to impose their will on private members' clubs because they seem to think it's their God given right to do so?

Once again you have completely and utterly missed the entire point.

The question raised since point one was why these dress codes were first brought in.. this has been answered by this tweet (I’m sorry if the modern world scares you, but that’s not my problem)

I may not agree with the sock rule but whatever club I play I wear golf gear with black socks with trousers and white socks with shorts. Normally have a spare black pair in the bag if their are any problems in shorts weather.

Doesn’t matter if I’m in a club or not I’m replying to the reason the dress codes were even a thing...

Just look who are on committees .. older generation with more time on their hands because they have worked hard to earn the right.. they have completely different standards of outfits. It’s fine. They maintain the standards they believe are correct and what suit their members. For example my uncle has never owned a pair of trainers in his life, or jeans. Just his generation way of doing things.

Now I respect any clubs dress code I go to.

So how about you respect everyone else who has an opinion on any matter rather than trying to be clever about everything when it actually doesn’t suit you.
👌

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
An analogy, if you will permit

The oozlum bird, also spelled ouzelum, is a legendary creature found in Australian and British folk tales and legends. Some versions have it that, when startled, the bird will take off and fly around in ever-decreasing circles until it manages to fly up its own backside, disappearing completely, which adds to its rarity.[1] Other sources state that the bird flies backwards so that it can admire its own beautiful tail feathers, or because while it does not know where it is going, it likes to know where it has been.[2]

Sums up this thread ( and others) perfectly

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just had a look on Prestwick GC website since I'm visiting there next month. Thankfully I don't see and crazy sock rules and tailored shorts are permitted.

Great to see a club with such history and "tradition" embracing golfers of "today's era".

Also playing an open at Royal Aberdeen in September, again thankfully no stupid rules re socks.
no shorts though;) so you can wear what ever socks you like dear boy;)

Wolf

Visit site
Oh I thought if you knew that “many” simply roll with it I thought you might know if the same happened at Gillingham 😉😆
Gillingham did ask for it years ago, the out riding answer was "No change will be made" Committee didn't even take it to the membership at the time.

Hopefully with this they may take it to them this time, however the comment I've seen through social media of committee members there I wouldn't hold much hope.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Think Royal Aberdeen is only "cargo" style shorts are banned. I think tailored shorts are acceptable.

That will be an easy 0.1 that day. Front 9 is tremendously difficult.
when i played there last year it was no shorts of any kind, and you know me shorts all the time it was very uncomfortable playing in big boy trousers.

just checked the website, they must have changed it for this year, it was pretty silly all that good weather last year

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Most of the dress code issues are mainly see at Members clubs - the thing about a Members club is if the members don’t like them or agree with them they can get them changed through their normal channels - it has happened at our place. And most of the dress codes are just passed down from each committee to each committee and nothing will change unless someone wants it too. And it only needs one member to put the request in

In other clubs they are normally from the owner or from the pro or secretary etc and even then it just needs someone to ask the question why

So I think most of the dress code issues can be solved by just asking the question and if you want put in a proposal to get them changed - if you go to a Members club and you don’t like the dress code it’s better to remember that the dress code is there because the members want it

I get what you're saying but I just think that if a dress code has been handed down for years (maybe decades) from committee to committee and maybe fiddled with through that time, why must a committee wait until a member raises a question at an AGM before reviewing its suitability/application?

Why can't a committee be proactive instead of merely reactive? What if the members don't raise it because of apathy or maybe they have reservations about upsetting an establishment. Silence does not necessarily equal agreement

There's a good reason why we're not still using Windows 95 with 50 updates to it. At some point it would seem practical to start again with a blank sheet of paper and actually do some work & not just blindly take what the last committee was given, or nick a picture/text from the internet while waiting to see if anyone has an question at the end of the year. What might that dress-code look like?

D

Deleted member 15344

I get what you're saying but I just think that if a dress code has been handed down for years (maybe decades) from committee to committee and maybe fiddled with through that time, why must a committee wait until a member raises a question at an AGM before reviewing its suitability/application?

Why can't a committee be proactive instead of merely reactive? What if the members don't raise it because of apathy or maybe they have reservations about upsetting an establishment. Silence does not necessarily equal agreement

There's a good reason why we're not still using Windows 95 with 50 updates to it. At some point it would seem practical to start again with a blank sheet of paper and actually do some work & not just blindly take what the last committee was given, or nick a picture/text from the internet while waiting to see if anyone has an question at the end of the year. What might that dress-code look like?

All depends on the make up of the committee and the constitution in regards what changes the committee can and can’t do.

There will be committees that establish and control the dress code without needing to go to the members but even then that sort of control will need to confirmed by the members

That’s the point of Members clubs - it’s their club and they all have a voice and it’s heard when spoken in an AGM - if people don’t speak up then how does anyone know if there are any issues ? You can only judge silence one way.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
All depends on the make up of the committee and the constitution in regards what changes the committee can and can’t do.

There will be committees that establish and control the dress code without needing to go to the members but even then that sort of control will need to confirmed by the members

That’s the point of Members clubs - it’s their club and they all have a voice and it’s heard when spoken in an AGM - if people don’t speak up then how does anyone know if there are any issues ? You can only judge silence one way.

I would counter that only by saying that the committees at my club who make decisions on, for example, whether jeans are acceptable are, in the main, manned by people who have never even owned a pair. Any ban on aging corduroy trousers would be soon overturned. Fully appreciate that clubs are, in theory, run for the majority but when a large number of meetings are planned to take place at times that anyone who works fully time cannot easily attend, then you tend to have a committee system run by the older generation. Again, more generalisation but creating a system that takes into account changing times is not always that easy.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was watching a bit of the tennis earlier and it struck me that visually the ‘playing kit’ worn by many tennis players is near identical to what would be worn (during the summer) by a great many golfers, why should that be?
The sports are hardly comparable in their athleticism but for many tennis players it’s a ‘polo’ style shirt, tailored shorts, cap and appropriate footwear. Maybe golf really is a sport after all.

Or maybe it’s just that during the summer both activities are usually played outdoors in warm conditions and can last several hours and its these things that drive the similarity in clothing, it’s simply been found by players to be the most practical clothing kit for the conditions and body movements

It would seem sensible for golf clubs that have the players interests at heart to have a dress code based on what is practical for the conditions and body movements?

And so begs the question is it even appropriate that some clubs continue to concern themselves with whether a shirt has a collar or not & whether its tucked in, and what colour/length the socks are?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
An analogy, if you will permit

The Liverbird, also spelled liverbird, is a legendary creature found in Liverpool and British folk tales and legends. Some versions have it that, when startled, the bird will take off and fly around in ever-decreasing circles until it manages to fly up its own backside, disappearing completely, which adds to its rarity.[1] Other sources state that the bird flies backwards so that it can admire its own beautiful tail feathers, or because while it does not know where it is going, it likes to know where it has been.[2]

Sums up this thread perfectly.

Flippin eck phil i dont know how you got away with that

dronfield

Visit site
It’s a genuine question?

Pros wear T shirts , Finau rocked a hood at the open. We can’t wear them at our club.

If you can’t answer a genuine question without spitting your dummy out it’s probably best not to goad folks on threads?

The Finau hood was on a waterproof jacket - like a standard walking style jacket. Seemed perfectly acceptable - not seen any "golf" manufacturers making these but dont see why any club should object to them?

I had always assumed that the no hoodies rule was aimed at track suit, training style tops?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

What proof do you have that committees are not being proactive in respect of the dress code; how do we know that the committees have not offered to change this and the members have said no thanks, we're happy as we are?

D

Deleted member 21258

JG, you may wish to add 4 more to your banned list :LOL: Ganton, Aldeburgh, Rye and Royal Cinque Ports IIRC

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Finau hood was on a waterproof jacket - like a standard walking style jacket. Seemed perfectly acceptable - not seen any "golf" manufacturers making these but dont see why any club should object to them?

I had always assumed that the no hoodies rule was aimed at track suit, training style tops?
I figured that as well. If I'm trying to play golf in the pouring rain and someone tells me I can't wear a hood, they can jog on in all honesty. :LOL: