Sock gate (again)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He said "easy, polo shirt....job done"
I was highlighting that actually it isn't that easy....

Caps......only a woman should wear a cap or hat indoors.
It isn't easy but it doesn't need to be difficult either.

I don't get the hat indoors thing? Why it bothers people? I don't wear one but I don't see why others should be stopped from doing so if they want to.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It isn't easy but it doesn't need to be difficult either.

I don't get the hat indoors thing? Why it bothers people?
I don't wear one but I don't see why others should be stopped from doing so if they want to.

Because it is considered rude under etiquette rules, simple as that. Most golfers would like to consider themselves well mannered so the tradition under etiquette rules is followed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because it is considered rude under etiquette rules, simple as that. Most golfers would like to consider themselves well mannered so the tradition under etiquette rules is followed.
Etiquette rules? What rules and taken from what era? It's a rule that people follow without really knowing why. Its Downton Abbey stuff. Why would anyone in 2019 be offended by a male wearing a hat indoors?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some people take delight in shouting at indoor hat wearers.

Had this at south herts golf club. Society day. Incredibly warm. Walked into the club house from outside. Was reaching to take my hat off when some guy informed me that I must remove my hat in here..

Oh I’m sorry I was just reaching to adjust my eyebrows you cretin

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Etiquette rules? What rules and taken from what era? It's a rule that people follow without really knowing why. Its Downton Abbey stuff. Why would anyone in 2019 be offended by a male wearing a hat indoors?

Since Medieval Times, it has been a sign of respect to take off your hat. It started when people removed their hat when entering a church to show their respect for God. Men then started to take their hats off when they went indoors, when they passed or spoke to a woman or when something or someone deserved respect or honour (e.g. a war hero or a flag). These days, people still literally take their hat off when they admire someone or something but it is also used as an expression – if someone respects something you have done, they might say “I take my hat off to you”, even if they are not even wearing a hat!

So as it’s come from original Christian views I think it’s time to upgrade

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No one is claiming that golf clubs are the last bastion of all that is correct and proper, but equally why shouldn't golf clubs, and their members, be proud to maintain what are recognised as decent standards of behaviour?

We are a country whose standards are based in Christian values; why should we change something just because they are so based?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No one is claiming that golf clubs are the last bastion of all that is correct and proper, but equally why shouldn't golf clubs, and their members, be proud to maintain what are recognised as decent standards of behaviour?

We are a country whose standards are based in Christian values; why should we change something just because they are so based?
Because if it was the other way around and men could wear them and women could not it would soon be changed.

I heard it was a sign that you didn’t have a weapon concealed under a hat.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is there anything in the Bible about white socks?
Adverbs 2:3
And Lo it was sayeth that he who weareth socks of the colour of the Devil shall burn in the fires of Hell and Damnation should he weareth them with half-trousers and that sock doth not reach the knee of a normal man. But if he weareth socks of the colour of Angels he will be reprieved should they cover only the ankle.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And Lo it was sayeth that he who weareth socks of the colour of the Devil shall burn in the fires of Hell and Damnation should he weareth them with half-trousers and that sock doth not reach the knee of a normal man. But if he weareth socks of the colour of Angels he will be reprieved should they cover only the ankle.

That's me converted :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not having that!
They all wore sandals in them days and you can’t wear white socks and sandals everyone knows that!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

You missed out the Smiting and gnashing of teeth bit 👍😎

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This was the old testament version , like so many other things it was somewhat updated in the New.
From Pauls' letters to the Fifers

And Jesus spake concerning gowf: When man and woman come and pay homage on the turf that is the links thou shalt be modest in the covering of the ankles so as not to offend those of nervous disposition. However all the angles in heaven rejoice when one has seen the error of ones ways and the covering is near to the knees.