Sock gate (again)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He said "easy, polo shirt....job done"
I was highlighting that actually it isn't that easy....

Caps......only a woman should wear a cap or hat indoors.
I think you were just being pedantic. The usual terminology is simply 'collared' so that would be fine. I just said polo because, Phil Mick's sponsorship aside, I don't know why you would want to wear a button down shirt to play golf. Unless you'd come straight from work I guess.

It certainly is easy if the golf clubs want it to be.

D

Deleted member 15344

I thought the whole hat off inside was just all about respect , etiquette and plain old good manners in the same way as holding a door open for someone etc etc. And why would someone also want to wear a hat inside anyway ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the whole hat off inside was just all about respect , etiquette and plain old good manners in the same way as holding a door open for someone etc etc. And why would someone also want to wear a hat inside anyway ?
The last sentence is irrelevant really, it's their choice. Stops you losing it for one. :LOL:

I think the point is why would someone be upset at someone else wearing a hat indoors, other than being conditioned to that response by being told for years that it's 'good manners' or 'etiquette' to remove it? Really it's meaningless. One of my group always leaves his hat on in the clubhouse unless he gets told (and he has been told off a few times). I can assure 100% he does not do this to disrespect the establishment he's in, it's simply laziness/not thinking about it/saves carrying it or putting it down somewhere. Why would anyone be upset about that?

Be like someone coming in from outside and wearing their coat indoors. You'd also think 'they don't need to do that', but there's no tradition of being offended by it so probably no one would say anything.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There is absolutely no correlation between holding a door open for someone, and taking your hat off when inside.

When holding a door open for someone, you are doing them a tiny little favour, that makes their day a tiny little bit easier. When taking your hat off, you are not impacting on anyone's day for good or bad.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The last sentence is irrelevant really, it's their choice. Stops you losing it for one. :LOL:

I think the point is why would someone be upset at someone else wearing a hat indoors, other than being conditioned to that response by being told for years that it's 'good manners' or 'etiquette' to remove it? Really it's meaningless. One of my group always leaves his hat on in the clubhouse unless he gets told (and he has been told off a few times). I can assure 100% he does not do this to disrespect the establishment he's in, it's simply laziness/not thinking about it/saves carrying it or putting it down somewhere. Why would anyone be upset about that?

Be like someone coming in from outside and wearing their coat indoors. You'd also think 'they don't need to do that', but there's no tradition of being offended by it so probably no one would say anything.

Do you shake hands at the end of a round?
Be quiet when someone is playing their shot?
If so, why is it that some signs of showing respect are ok, and yet others aren’t?

If you do neither, then fair play to you.
For me, not every rule needs to be modernised. Socks, yes a silly rule but suck it up is my thoughts. Hats indoors is as you say, simply manners we’ve been told to do so for years. But lots of other forms of respect are just that. If you choose to disregard one, then imo you can’t complain if someone else doesn’t show a sign of respect you’d expect.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If so, why is it that some signs of showing respect are ok, and yet others aren’t?

For me, not every rule needs to be modernised. Socks, yes a silly rule but suck it up is my thoughts. Hats indoors is as you say, simply manners we’ve been told to do so for years. But lots of other forms of respect are just that. If you choose to disregard one, then imo you can’t complain if someone else doesn’t show a sign of respect you’d expect.
They're not really similar. Shaking hands is a gesture that represents fair play and saying thanks for a good game, not talking during someone's shot is obviously just not being a knob and putting them off! As Howbow said above though, wearing a hat affects nobody.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
They're not really similar. Shaking hands is a gesture that represents fair play and saying thanks for a good game, not talking during someone's shot is obviously just not being a knob and putting them off! As Howbow said above though, wearing a hat affects nobody.

But they have all over time been deemed as manners.

How does someone shaking your hand actually affect you in any way? Other than you feeling that they’ve shown you respect. Very much like the removing of a hat is meant to. The door opening analogy may well work against the wearing of a hat but it equally makes the handshake as redundant.

Like I say, by all means do whatever you feel is courteous, but imo if you ignore any well known act of manner simply because you think it’s pointless, then you can’t object if someone else deems one you value highly as pointless also.

Wolf

Visit site
Sounds like we need a new thread Hat Gate😂

Got to admit I wouldn't say someone wearing a hat inside is anything like shaking of a hand to thank someone for their time and enjoyable game, nor is it like being quiet when someone takes a shot. But I also wouldn't in the slightest be bothered with someone leaving a hat on indoors either.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Holding a door open is actually helping someone.
Taking your hat off is helping no one.
I’d wouldn’t wear a hat in a restaurant.
But if I was wearing a hat & went in a shop I wouldn’t take it off,why would you??
Makes no sense,unless you can explain otherwise?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Life has evolved aswell.. I’m sure half of the coffin dodgers that enforce the sock rule wouldn’t dream of a fist pump after a good shot or sinking a birdie

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Being quiet when someone is taking a shot isn’t just about showing respect tho is it?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think some people just love rules (no matter how silly) because it stops them having to think for themselves.

And if they follow the rules it somehow makes them a better person.

Some people are just sheep 🤷‍♂️

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Being quiet when someone is taking a shot isn’t just about showing respect tho is it?

If someone is making noise, I’d say they’re being a knob, disrespectful etc.

For the record. I fully agree that both the hat wearing and sock rules are old fashioned and outdated. I wouldn’t consider myself for simply be willing to respect a clubs rules though.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I think some people just love rules (no matter how silly) because it stops them having to think for themselves.

And if they follow the rules it somehow makes them a better person.

Some people are just sheep 🤷‍♂️

And some people are just anarchists, who want to join an organisation then question everything that governs it and insist on doing their own thing. God knows what sights will be seen on the golf course if this thinking is taken to it logical conclusion.
" why should I wear a shirt if I don't want to? "
" I like flip flops, what's it to you?"

If you want your no rules golf course, go and buy and run your own.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
And some people are just anarchists, who want to join an organisation then question everything that governs it and insist on doing their own thing. God knows what sights will be seen on the golf course if this thinking is taken to it logical conclusion.
" why should I wear a shirt if I don't want to? "
" I like flip flops, what's it to you?"

If you want your no rules golf course, go and buy and run your own.
Can’t afford one 🤷‍♂️

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I wore my hat inside today, my hairs a mess as I don’t do it for golf as I’m up at 5.30 hence the cap to hide the mop.
We can wear what we like at our club in the clubhouse and wore it during breakfast. I did take it off to reserve a table with though as it was busy.

Plenty wear hats inside but..

Why would anyone want to wear long socks?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most courses around here are fairly robust on enforcing the no hat rule. What I hate though, and have seen it at my place and it raises my hackles is when a junior wanders in, totally oblivious to the rules and gets told off by the steward (who is usually very good at doing it as he has kids himself) or worse still by some of the senior members or women who merely treat them as a naughty child

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most courses around here are fairly robust on enforcing the no hat rule. What I hate though, and have seen it at my place and it raises my hackles is when a junior wanders in, totally oblivious to the rules and gets told off by the steward (who is usually very good at doing it as he has kids himself) or worse still by some of the senior members or women who merely treat them as a naughty child

How will they learn if no-one tells them?