Sock gate (again)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Do you shake hands at the end of a round?
Be quiet when someone is playing their shot?
1) A handshake is the same as a thank you, a thumbs up, a head nod, etc. These are all done to acknowledge someone. So yes, the handshake does have a logical meaning and purpose.

2) Yes I keep quiet as if not, I risk putting someone off playing their shot. Again, this has logic behind it.

Neither of your examples, like so much else in this thread, are comparable to what colour socks are on your feet and the wearing of a hat indoors. Neither of those 'rules'have logic behind them.

Except of course 'but that's the way it has always been' :D

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
1) A handshake is the same as a thank you, a thumbs up, a head nod, etc. These are all done to acknowledge someone. So yes, the handshake does have a logical meaning and purpose.

2) Yes I keep quiet as if not, I risk putting someone off playing their shot. Again, this has logic behind it.

Neither of your examples, like so much else in this thread, are comparable to what colour socks are on your feet and the wearing of a hat indoors. Neither of those 'rules'have logic behind them.

Except of course 'but that's the way it has always been' :D
Both examples are of being polite.

You can use words like purpose, meaning and logic of you wish. But they are simply examples of manners. Why do you need to acknowledge someone with a head nod other than to be polite?

I haven't said I agree with needing to take a hat off. I also don't know why we started doing it, but it has become accepted as a sign of manners.

***edit

Having googled. The two reasons seem to be for being courteous to women and/or a sign of respect to a higher power (god). So it quite clearly started because of manners. It may now be outdated, but it has a valid reason nonetheless.

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Sure, it's manners but based around acknowledgement. Taking your hat doesn't acknowledge anything at all.

Acknowledging someone is more than just manners though. I don't thank someone for doing me a favour because it's good manners - I do it so they're aware that I am thankful they have helped me out.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why don't we just do away with manners and standards altogether ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do those backing the hats off rule, the manners and standards police, still stand every time a woman enters the room? That used to be standard, good etiquette, a sign of manners. Then we moved on..................This is no different.
Equality put a stop to all that.
Etiquette is dying especially in the pro game they don’t even shout “ fore ” anymore. some anyway.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Equality put a stop to all that.
Etiquette is dying especially in the pro game they don’t even shout “ fore ” anymore. some anyway.
Some a-holes don't bother to shout Fore, because they know they can't/wont be sued /claimed for millions.
Even if they do injure or even kill someone, seemingly :confused: there's liability waiver clause condition on tickets.
Is there ?????????

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Do those backing the hats off rule, the manners and standards police, still stand every time a woman enters the room? That used to be standard, good etiquette, a sign of manners. Then we moved on..................This is no different.
Guess depends on the context , will do when the person is being introduced to me , yet are loads just stay sitting down - there is a list a mile long of good manners and just good etiquette- some evolve over time and some stay valid. Being military background we took our hats off as soon as we went instead unless you were going to a naughty boy hearing , Army left theirs on etc. I don’t wear hats but think people sitting in company eating etc with a hat on , especially one they have used when playing a sport is imo a bit poor etiquette

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I'm introduced to anyone whilst I'm sat down I'll stand up to shake hands. I wouldn't stand up purely because someone, male or female, came into a room though.

Another ingrained one, why do men stand to shake hands, women tend not to? Historical I suppose.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If I'm introduced to anyone whilst I'm sat down I'll stand up to shake hands. I wouldn't stand up purely because someone, male or female, came into a room though.

Another ingrained one, why do men stand to shake hands, women tend not to? Historical I suppose.

I think women stay seated because they’re usually drunk.

Hats off: I saw a club steward quietly ask a member to remove his hat. The guy did so, only to reveal the side effects of chemo. I’ve never given it a second glance since that day. Mine always comes off, even to shake hands at the end of a round. What others do is up to them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm a 'cap off' when seated in the clubhouse. If I'm passing straight through to get to the practice green etc it'll stay on but comes off if I stop to say hello to someone. Cap and sunglasses off on the 18th to hug it out with the PP's
Cap also off when I go into the pro shop to pay etc

I think its just that I see it as an item of outdoor clothing and not needed if I'm indoors (same as a coat/jacket) I'd leave it on if walking through a building but take it off if I were to sit down
Like a jacket, the purpose of a golf cap is to offer protection from some kind of weather and means its completely unnecessary indoors, so I remove it

What others choose to do doesn't bother me (except when I see people driving with a baseball/golf cap on, for some reason I do think they're a bit weird)