Sock gate (again)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What proof do you have that committees are not being proactive in respect of the dress code; how do we know that the committees have not offered to change this and the members have said no thanks, we're happy as we are?

Because comments up to now have been about members raising items as issues and being the ones required to drive change etc, that's not a committee being proactive

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What proof do you have that committees are not being proactive in respect of the dress code; how do we know that the committees have not offered to change this and the members have said no thanks, we're happy as we are?

I think some committees will be proactive and some not so. Some clubs will have it enshrined it in their constitution and some clubs will have taken it out of their constitution and put it into their rules, which they can amend without the need of an AGM. There'll be any number of combinations thereof.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Because comments up to now have been about members raising items as issues and being the ones required to drive change etc, that's not a committee being proactive

So no actual proof that committees cannot be proactive, just an assumption based on comments in the thread that if the members aren't happy they can raise the issue.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So no actual proof that committees cannot be proactive, just an assumption based on comments in the thread that if the members aren't happy they can raise the issue.

Whats that now :unsure: I'm suggesting committees should be proactive not that they cannot be proactive, more they have not been proactive. I'm sure the could be proactive but not so sure they would be proactive

Proof is for puddings (y)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Whats that now :unsure: I'm suggesting committees should be proactive not that they cannot be proactive, more they have not been proactive. I'm sure the could be proactive but not so sure they would be proactive

Proof is for puddings (y)

And I'm asking how you know they aren't proactive? The fact that there is a route available for members to suggest change on matters they are not happy with doesn't prevent committees from being proactive.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
And I'm asking how you know they aren't proactive? The fact that there is a route available for members to suggest change on matters they are not happy with doesn't prevent committees from being proactive.

Sorry we might be at cross purposes, a page or two back I mentioned what I thought could be the three primary origins for current dress codes and LP replied with his thoughts too that some dress codes are just handed down from one committee to the next etc & nothing would change without someone wanting it too etc (not proactive) so I just wondered why a committee couldn't/shouldn't be proactive instead

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry we might be at cross purposes, a page or two back I mentioned what I thought could be the three primary origins for current dress codes and LP replied with his thoughts too that some dress codes are just handed down from one committee to the next etc & nothing would change without someone wanting it too etc (not proactive) so I just wondered why a committee couldn't/shouldn't be proactive instead

You're correct and also nobody is correct, because both scenarios occur as all clubs are slightly different. What is proactive for one club may not be for another. I think many stand offs could be avoided on this forum if people didn't equate their own club's behaviour as the only way to do things. I posted much earlier in the thread that, for example, I know that one of my club's committees regularly consults though membership surveys and has a constant agenda of evaluating and moving towards relaxation of the dress and gender codes. It's all pro-active attempts to modernise, but it moves slowly, because there's still enough of a hard line membership voting against recommendations of the committee and until the hard liners leave or die off in numbers it's going to take time. For what it's worth I consider this to be the correct process, but others disagree, and that's fine.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've currently undertaken the task of modernising the dress code at our club

As with everything else at a members club balance is the key word

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Do you mind sharing what steps you'll use? i.e amending the existing or starting with a blank sheet of paper and no preconceptions or are you required to take into account any traditions or legacy aspects (or even that weird one where everybody has to wear red etc)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

What was it like before? Not to belittle your task but it sounds easy enough to me. Polo shirt, tailored trousers/shorts and golf shoes. Job done!

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you mind sharing what steps you'll use? i.e amending the existing or starting with a blank sheet of paper and no preconceptions or are you required to take into account any traditions or legacy aspects (or even that weird one where everybody has to wear red etc)

Looking at it, there doesn't seem to be much that needs amending, we see ourselves as a fairly relaxed sociable club, we even allow socks of all colours and lengths :eek:

Just looking to update it to allow for the modern golf shoe which has no spikes, and the wearing of flip flops

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What was it like before? Not to belittle your task but it sounds easy enough to me. Polo shirt, tailored trousers/shorts and golf shoes. Job done!
Why polo shirt only.
What’s wrong with a short sleeve collared shirt?
Perhaps it isn’t as easy as you think, because there’s always some who the rules don’t apply to or think the rules are and don’t want to respect them

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Communication is the key, IMO. Talk to the members before making the change. A beer in the club or when you're out on the course. Getting people onside before a change makes life so much easier.

Good luck.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're correct and also nobody is correct, because both scenarios occur as all clubs are slightly different. What is proactive for one club may not be for another. I think many stand offs could be avoided on this forum if people didn't equate their own club's behaviour as the only way to do things. I posted much earlier in the thread that, for example, I know that one of my club's committees regularly consults though membership surveys and has a constant agenda of evaluating and moving towards relaxation of the dress and gender codes. It's all pro-active attempts to modernise, but it moves slowly, because there's still enough of a hard line membership voting against recommendations of the committee and until the hard liners leave or die off in numbers it's going to take time. For what it's worth I consider this to be the correct process, but others disagree, and that's fine.

My club has done this !
Surveyed members to ask what they would like seen change.
Nice jeans ok
Casual dress at all times except some functions.
Any socks you like. Etc.

The only real dissenter was sitting in a pair of trousers so shiny you could have a shave in them.!
Visitors have commented that it’s more enjoyable not to have to wear jacket and ties in restaurant.
Nothing much has changed except some of the younger lads wear jeans in the evening to have a pint before they go to town.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why polo shirt only.
What’s wrong with a short sleeve collared shirt?
Perhaps it isn’t as easy as you think, because there’s always some who the rules don’t apply to or think the rules are and don’t want to respect them
Why does a collar matter? Not being funny, I was thinking about this earlier in the thread.

Another one, can of worms I know, caps. Why can't people wear caps indoors? The idea of it being bad manners is out of the 1950's.

D

Deleted member 1418

To be brutally honest, why any clothes at all? We were all born naked; the earliest homo sapiens walked around without any clothes on so why don't we just all go back to as nature intended, both on the golf course and off it!! :eek:

Oh hold on, need to wear shoes to help with stability.......and they would be uncomfortable without socks :unsure:

So ok, white golf shoes and white ankle socks only then!!! ;):D

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why does a collar matter? Not being funny, I was thinking about this earlier in the thread.

Another one, can of worms I know, caps. Why can't people wear caps indoors? The idea of it being bad manners is out of the 1950's.
He said "easy, polo shirt....job done"
I was highlighting that actually it isn't that easy....

Caps......only a woman should wear a cap or hat indoors.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be brutally honest, why any clothes at all? We were all born naked; the earliest homo sapiens walked around without any clothes on so why don't we just all go back to as nature intended, both on the golf course and off it!! :eek:

Oh hold on, need to wear shoes to help with stability.......and they would be uncomfortable without socks :unsure:

So ok, white golf shoes and white ankle socks only then!!! ;):D
That’s put a bad picture in my head I can’t unsee now.