Sock gate (again)

Wolf

Visit site
I just noticed the post count on this thread

250 plus replies in one dAy? People really don’t like being questioned

No wonder people hate crossfield he challenges every single aspect of the norm for golf (rightly and wrongly at times) the sock police can’t handle it
Should see the uproar it's caused with some of their members getting ripped on social media 😂
Plus the fact the guy concerned has now been invited onto KM radio to discuss the flaws in golf at clubs like this. To think people on here saying nobody outside golf will care or be put off the game. I think last time I saw the listening figures their breakfast show alone got 116k listeners daily. Even my Mrs now we live in Lincoln still tunes in to it.

Whether people agree or not sock gate is going viral and locally will now damage the clubs reputation for being welcoming. That's going to affect revenue in some way or other. Plus the welcoming part doesn't extend to the pro shop anyway the pro and the guy who works for him are both bloody rude & arrogant, and that's coming from me someone that's known them 20 years not based on a one off instance

Wolf

Visit site
A quick question for you all, should a clubs dress code be relaxed during extremes of weather ?
Yes..

I don't care if someone plays in shorts and t-shirt in summer or Hoody in winter. Doesn't bother me what they wear in the clubhouse flip flops or whatever they choose. It's the ridiculousness of some rules for the sake of it that wind me up.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Except that's wrong. It was changed over time due to process within the club over many years of internal manoeuvring and numerous attempts to allow women from its members.

It was actually internal opinion that made them change.
You surely don't believe that?

Of course the media pressure swung the outcome.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A quick question for you all, should a clubs dress code be relaxed during extremes of weather ?
Even Sunningdale were letting us off wearing jacket and trousers in the dining room this week. They let us in wearing whatever we were wearing.

Now, where are my lime green ankle sock....:sick:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should see the uproar it's caused with some of their members getting ripped on social media 😂
Plus the fact the guy concerned has now been invited onto KM radio to discuss the flaws in golf at clubs like this. To think people on here saying nobody outside golf will care or be put off the game. I think last time I saw the listening figures their breakfast show alone got 116k listeners daily. Even my Mrs now we live in Lincoln still tunes in to it.

Whether people agree or not sock gate is going viral and locally will now damage the clubs reputation for being welcoming. That's going to affect revenue in some way or other. Plus the welcoming part doesn't extend to the pro shop anyway the pro and the guy who works for him are both bloody rude & arrogant, and that's coming from me someone that's known them 20 years not based on a one off instance
Here's a thought.....perhpas it was a deliberate act of someone looking to create a story? The guy in question is news editor at KM and we all know how local news publications go.
For the record, I don't buy into his "emabaressed" about his socks. To me I would suggest he may have had other issues with the pro at GGC and has used this to seek some sort of revenge for something thats gone on in the past.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Even Sunningdale were letting us off wearing jacket and trousers in the dining room this week. They let us in wearing whatever we were wearing.

If you wore lime green socks with white shoes that would look quite funky.

But black socks with white shoes......

:ROFLMAO:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always thought the rule about having to wear white socks was a very sensible one. Anyone one wearing other colour socks with shorts looks a nob.

Wolf

Visit site
Here's a thought.....perhpas it was a deliberate act of someone looking to create a story? The guy in question is news editor at KM and we all know how local news publications go.
For the record, I don't buy into his "emabaressed" about his socks. To me I would suggest he may have had other issues with the pro at GGC and has used this to seek some sort of revenge for something thats gone on in the past.
Completely agree with you that it seems to be creating news because of his position, especially as had he been in pro shop he would be told there and not on first tee where he decided to make the scene of removing them as I'm sure you know the layout like I do it's not remotely in view of the clubhouse.

Unfortunately for GGC though this guys actions are gaining traction.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Completely agree with you that it seems to be creating news because of his position, especially as had he been in pro shop he would be told there and not on first tee where he decided to make the scene of removing them as I'm sure you know the layout like I do it's not remotely in view of the clubhouse.

It's their own fault
Sockism of the highest order...:LOL:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

In the drawer next to your lime green mankini 😂😎🤢🤢

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

Unfortunate but probably not undeserved though.

Either way, we are a lot of pages in and no one can explain why the rule exists, why it came about, and why it shouldn't be scrapped. Other of course than 'standards' :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunate but probably not undeserved though.

Either way, we are a lot of pages in and no one can explain why the rule exists, why it came about, and why it shouldn't be scrapped. Other of course than 'standards' :D

As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to “class”. Jeans not allowed in the club house is a prime example (in some clubhouses before people jump on the example).. these were originally brought in when jeans weren’t what they are today.. jeans are now opening worn as smart casual to many events, fashionable. Where as in years gone by they were worn as working mans clothes. So can’t possible have them allowed at the golf club. Stops tradesmen popping into the clubhouse on way home from work for a pint rather than going to the pub. Us and them. Pure and simple.

As the video touched on black socks are mainly seen as office socks.. ie you have worn them to the office you can’t possible now wear them for golf. You must wear a sports sock (because you can’t wear white to the office)

Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to “class”. Jeans not allowed in the club house is a prime example (in some clubhouses before people jump on the example).. these were originally brought in when jeans weren’t what they are today.. jeans are now opening worn as smart casual to many events, fashionable. Where as in years gone by they were worn as working mans clothes. So can’t possible have them allowed at the golf club. Stops tradesmen popping into the clubhouse on way home from work for a pint rather than going to the pub. Us and them. Pure and simple.

As the video touched on black socks are mainly seen as office socks.. ie you have worn them to the office you can’t possible now wear them for golf. You must wear a sports sock (because you can’t wear white to the office)

Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.
I think you are probably, and sadly, correct.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you are probably, and sadly, correct.

It’s like the whole tucked in untucked debate.. some people actually look smarter with their polo shirts untucked. (Not saying I’m one and for the record mines always tucked in)

However clubs insist on telling grown ups how to wear the shirt they have to wear to play the game...

My football club (West Ham) posted a video of them all playing golf on pre season tour of China in West Ham polo training tops

Now these are people with more money than most golf club goers can only dream of yet in England you would never see a club let them on in football branded polos

Another class control system