Sock gate (again)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I love a good dress code rule though. The more bizarre, the better.
As said on here before, my club used to have a rule where you could wear shorts in the dining room up til 11, but you could not sit down. You could stand, and eat a full English, but you could not sit.
Bizarre? Yes. Pointlessly stupid? Yes. But I loved it.
Eccentricity is wonderful. It seperates the mundane from the truly extraordinary.
😂😂 that is actually so stupid it is funny.

Imagine having to enforce this rule 🤣

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Except that's wrong. It was changed over time due to process within the club over many years of internal manoeuvring and numerous attempts to allow women from its members.

It was actually internal opinion that made them change.
So the furore in the media did nothing. The fact that it took a couple of votes to make the change confirms that nothing would have happened without the withdrawal of Open status and the number of years this went unchallenged confirms that nothing would have happened without media pressure

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually it is not, the bigger debate is the outdated opinions of clubs as a whole of which this is a small but salient example especially as to how it supports stereotypical opinions of golf as a whole of which this is a classic example. Willing to debate on whatever level you see fit but Muirfield is I st a classic example of how it takes outside pressure to change outdated views. And the R&A were quite happy to stock by Muirfield until the press, and most significantly, social media got involved
So what’s your opinion on the women only clubs (of which there are more)?

But seriously. It’s about a clubs sock colour. In their own rules!

If you don’t like it, don’t go. Open your own course and make sure you post on there that any clothing is allowed. But don’t whinge if somewhere else has a rule that’s (normally) been voted on by the membership. As I’ve said before, if you don’t like that then join the club and change the rule

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The colour of socks worn at a private members club versus if a course that holds the Open not allowing women members. Aye, that’s solid comparison.
Except that's wrong. It was changed over time due to process within the club over many years of internal manoeuvring and numerous attempts to allow women from its members.

It was actually internal opinion that made them change.
Where's Fairwaydodger [Karen ] gone these days:confused:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It is a ridiculous rule that members saw as reasonable but the public at large saw as outdated an antiquated and was changed by external opinion not by any desire of the membership. Seems pretty much a spot on comparison to me

But not so outdated and antiquated that any women only clubs have been bullied into taking male members. Let’s at least be honest, this wasn’t a gender issue, it was an Open Championship issue.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what’s your opinion on the women only clubs (of which there are more)?

But seriously. It’s about a clubs sock colour. In their own rules!

If you don’t like it, don’t go. Open your own course and make sure you post on there that any clothing is allowed. But don’t whinge if somewhere else has a rule that’s (normally) been voted on by the membership. As I’ve said before, if you don’t like that then join the club and change the rule
Actually disagree with any segregational rules and am happy to discuss any such issues. What I feel is that it is important to voice an opinion on anything that seems idiotic and this is no exception. If any person came up with any valid reason that this is a sensible law then I would happily accept that opinion but, as in life, the bury your head in the sand, like it or lump it approach as that is how it as always been winds me up. Why is it so alien to people to look at a rule or regulation and ask why and expect a salient response or to look at the bigger picture beyond one incident.

Wolf

Visit site
One thing I've got from reading this thread and the social media fallout from some of the members at the club, it amazes me how many people that play golf without the ability to understand that it's OK to question things like dress codes instead tell us we should just accept things and if we don't like it tough. That's the sort of argument my parents gave me as a toddler "that's the way it is because I say so" 😂

My personal fave so far was where someone asked why do the military wear the same uniform 😂 I'll remember next time I'm on Ops in desert camo that it doesn't help and wear my bright pink disco outfit because blending into the environment doesn't matter 😂

Wolf

Visit site
Actually disagree with any segregational rules and am happy to discuss any such issues. What I feel is that it is important to voice an opinion on anything that seems idiotic and this is no exception. If any person came up with any valid reason that this is a sensible law then I would happily accept that opinion but, as in life, the bury your head in the sand, like it or lump it approach as that is how it as always been winds me up. Why is it so alien to people to look at a rule or regulation and ask why and expect a salient response or to look at the bigger picture beyond one incident.
I think what's been hugely missed here as well is the club in question state in their dress code women can wear what colour they want... So clearly the issue isn't about sock colour at all, but instead just doing what your told and not being able to be an adult and dress accordingly, if it's OK for the women to wear coloured socks that should be universally acceptable for the men to.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I've got from reading this thread and the social media fallout from some of the members at the club, it amazes me how many people that play golf without the ability to understand that it's OK to question things like dress codes instead tell us we should just accept things and if we don't like it tough. That's the sort of argument my parents gave me as a toddler "that's the way it is because I say so" 😂

My personal fave so far was where someone asked why do the military wear the same uniform 😂 I'll remember next time I'm on Ops in desert camo that it doesn't help and wear my bright pink disco outfit because blending into the environment doesn't matter 😂

Is it because a lot of people who set these rules came from national service days and questioning the rules is forbidden

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love how this blows out of all reality and into something it’s not

Its socks! Socks. You wear them to cover your feet

More important things to worry about ..

Just wear whatever colour you pick out first
Again, another missed point. The bigger picture is being discussed and how such adverse media comment bolsters stereotypical views and can impact on the spread of the game.

And the argument works both ways, it's socks, why does it matter. Still not heard a reason why it should

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, another missed point. The bigger picture is being discussed and how such adverse media comment bolsters stereotypical views and can impact on the spread of the game.

And the argument works both ways, it's socks, why does it matter. Still not heard a reason why it should

Because it’s the rules apparently

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact that it took a couple of votes to make the change confirms that nothing would have happened without the withdrawal of Open status and the number of years this went unchallenged confirms that nothing would have happened without media pressure

I think this is an incorrect extrapolation from an end result. Muirfield care about the Open, I don't think they care about external media pressure at all, they've only ever cared about what their members want.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The irony of that is that they themselves are the actual parody of what people perceive golf to be and they can't see it themselves 🤷‍♂️

I just noticed the post count on this thread

250 plus replies in one dAy? People really don’t like being questioned

No wonder people hate crossfield he challenges every single aspect of the norm for golf (rightly and wrongly at times) the sock police can’t handle it

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think this is an incorrect extrapolation from an end result. Muirfield care about the Open, I don't think they care about external media pressure at all, they've only ever cared about what their members want.

And, their members decided to embrace the change and allow women members. Muirfield, like all the clubs on the rota don't actually need the Open.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but I think it was the media pressure that brought the situation to light and that resulted in a decision between female members or the open. I do not think that the R&A would ever have played that hand if it was not for the media furore both social and regular.