Sock gate (again)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the early 80s, 2 of us played a posh course not too far from Blackpool , something like Formby i think.
A non golfing friend walked along just spectating, but he was wearing football type shorts.
After a few holes some official appeared and told him they weren't suitable attire and either cover up or leave.
His only option was a pair of my waterproof trousers, the temp must have been at least 25c, the sweat was running down his legs lol.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I think we've done socks to death.

I'm looking forward to the next problem on the horizon.

242ffc2ddd20e8e93c986a180e66ed14--the-teenagers-baggy-pants.jpg

Pin-seeker

Visit site
But the discussion was about whether it’s a daft rule or not - rather than if the rules should be obeyed - which kinda makes your post superfluous , no?
Seriously is this still going on? If you don’t like a dress code then there are a few avenues open to you. You could either:
1. Follow the rules the club has in place. Let’s be honest, you are the one who wants to play there.
2. Be so offended at the colour of sock rule that you take your money else where.
3. Be so offended at the colour of sock rule that you decide to join the club, get on the board/committee and change the rule

Or simply just have a discussion on a golf forum about it 🤷‍♂️

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Imo the facts are clear cut. A club evokes a dress code policy of white socks. Whether that is an antiquated and outdated rule or not, it is a pre-requisite of visitors (and presumably members) to abide to. Failure to do so may result in an embarrassing request to leave the course or purchase suitable attire. You can argue the semantics about whether it is a daft rule, out of date, stereotypical etc, etc, but the core fact remains that you have to adhere to their request

Just imagine if the countries formally behind the iron curtain had adopted this way of thinking.

Thankfully their were some free thinking individuals.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously is this still going on? If you don’t like a dress code then there are a few avenues open to you. You could either:
1. Follow the rules the club has in place. Let’s be honest, you are the one who wants to play there.
2. Be so offended at the colour of sock rule that you take your money else where.
3. Be so offended at the colour of sock rule that you decide to join the club, get on the board/committee and change the rule
It is going on because there is a wider argument being made. Bigger issue but Without social media and and public comment do you think Muirfield would have female members. Hold on, that was just a rule that you either take or leave.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imo the facts are clear cut. A club evokes a dress code policy of white socks. Whether that is an antiquated and outdated rule or not, it is a pre-requisite of visitors (and presumably members) to abide to. Failure to do so may result in an embarrassing request to leave the course or purchase suitable attire. You can argue the semantics about whether it is a daft rule, out of date, stereotypical etc, etc, but the core fact remains that you have to adhere to their request
But the argument is way beyond that but hey, supporting the established position is always better than advocating change. It is this mentality and inability to look at the bigger picture that holds back the spread of the game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well I think we've done socks to death.

I'm looking forward to the next problem on the horizon.

242ffc2ddd20e8e93c986a180e66ed14--the-teenagers-baggy-pants.jpg
This is a look that baffles me. Do trousers really need to come with instructions?

A few years ago, a couple of 16 year olds at my club played in the scratch team. The fashion amongst the younger members at the time was to wear waterproofs, exactly as per the photo, what ever the weather.
So come the match, the two kids were on the first tee, waterproofs on, trailing two feet of trouser leg along the ground behind them.
Caught up with them 3 hours ish later. How did you get on,? Yeah, won on 13.
So the scratch pair they were up against lost against guys that are struggling to walk in their trousers, in 25 degree heat, wearing waterproofs.

They must have had some conversation going home.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is going on because there is a wider argument being made. Bigger issue but Without social media and and public comment do you think Muirfield would have female members. Hold on, that was just a rule that you either take or leave.
The colour of socks worn at a private members club versus if a course that holds the Open not allowing women members. Aye, that’s solid comparison.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The colour of socks worn at a private members club versus if a course that holds the Open not allowing women members. Aye, that’s solid comparison.
It is a ridiculous rule that members saw as reasonable but the public at large saw as outdated an antiquated and was changed by external opinion not by any desire of the membership. Seems pretty much a spot on comparison to me

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is a ridiculous rule that members saw as reasonable but the public at large saw as outdated an antiquated and was changed by external opinion not by any desire of the membership. Seems pretty much a spot on comparison to me
No. It was a ridiculous rule that the R&A saw would make them look bad and there fore put pressure on the club to change it. But if you think that sock colour against allowing women is in the same league then it’s pointless even thinking about debating the point with you

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Race and gender exclusion aren't the same issue as dress code. Good grief, it so obviously isn't the same issue I'm not even going to reply.
Why, different levels of gravity but still clubs changing rules based on external influence and maintaining a tradition because members saw it as acceptable. Nothing changes is debate is limited to accept the rule or go away.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love a good dress code rule though. The more bizarre, the better.
As said on here before, my club used to have a rule where you could wear shorts in the dining room up til 11, but you could not sit down. You could stand, and eat a full English, but you could not sit.
Bizarre? Yes. Pointlessly stupid? Yes. But I loved it.
Eccentricity is wonderful. It seperates the mundane from the truly extraordinary.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
was changed by external opinion not by any desire of the membership. Seems pretty much a spot on comparison to me

Except that's wrong. It was changed over time due to process within the club over many years of internal manoeuvring and numerous attempts to allow women from its members.

It was actually internal opinion that made them change.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. It was a ridiculous rule that the R&A saw would make them look bad and there fore put pressure on the club to change it. But if you think that sock colour against allowing women is in the same league then it’s pointless even thinking about debating the point with you
Actually it is not, the bigger debate is the outdated opinions of clubs as a whole of which this is a small but salient example especially as to how it supports stereotypical opinions of golf as a whole of which this is a classic example. Willing to debate on whatever level you see fit but Muirfield is I st a classic example of how it takes outside pressure to change outdated views. And the R&A were quite happy to stock by Muirfield until the press, and most significantly, social media got involved