Sock gate (again)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What it will do is get people to actually check what is acceptable attire at the club you are playing at before you turn up.
A voice of sanity in an oasis of pompous self righteousness. 99% of clubs publish dress codes online, or will have them on display. If you are still in doubt call them. It is very simple to ensure you comply with requirements and not suffer any sort of embarrassing discussions as per the OP. If you don't agree with white socks or even white socks and black shoes, then the decision is yours as to how badly you want to play the course. Stick to the rules, whether you think they are right. If you really feel strongly about dress codes at your own club, bring it up at an AGM and see what happens

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can't understand why people are so worried about having to wear white socks. Does it affect their putting or something? :unsure:

And for the record, I actually don't care what colour socks people wear just don't wear black socks with white shoes if you're playing with me because I won't be able to stop laughing at how much of a knob you'll look :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Trainer socks is the way foward.
If you wear white socks you just look like you should be on some kind register 🙈

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Give it a rest. It is because it sets a standard, a limit.
A club without a dress code finished up with a player on the third green wearing wellies! I know, I saw it.
Taking your way of thinking , that's the sort of crap standard we'll start seeing on golf courses.
But Maybe they were wearing white socks under the wellies 🤷‍♂️

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At my own course, I wear trainer socks. At others I abide by the dress code.

I have no idea why my ankles are so offensive that they need to be covered up, but I guess they are.

It is very Victorian. The sight of a well turned ankle can drive the other sex to hysteria, requiring a bit of electric shock therapy.

Hitdaball

Visit site
I had assumed that dress code allgiences would fall along age lines but when we recently voted on a relaxed dress policy for the clubhouse at ours I was suprised by how many youngsters also wanted to keep it Rees-Mogg.

Much like this thread there were also plenty of straw man arguments - you can’t allow jeans in the clubhouse , what next makinis on the tee!???

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A voice of sanity in an oasis of pompous self righteousness. 99% of clubs publish dress codes online, or will have them on display. If you are still in doubt call them. It is very simple to ensure you comply with requirements and not suffer any sort of embarrassing discussions as per the OP. If you don't agree with white socks or even white socks and black shoes, then the decision is yours as to how badly you want to play the course. Stick to the rules, whether you think they are right. If you really feel strongly about dress codes at your own club, bring it up at an AGM and see what happens
Actually not the voice of sanity. Ignores all of the well put comments before as to the bigger picture and supports the like it or lump it opinion. Takes one side of the debate and claims it as the fair and reasonable opinion. A well made, sensible argument looks at all opinions, produces reasonable comment on both sides and reaches a conclusion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Actually not the voice of sanity. Ignores all of the well put comments before as to the bigger picture and supports the like it or lump it opinion. Takes one side of the debate and claims it as the fair and reasonable opinion. A well made, sensible argument looks at all opinions, produces reasonable comment on both sides and reaches a conclusion.
Imo the facts are clear cut. A club evokes a dress code policy of white socks. Whether that is an antiquated and outdated rule or not, it is a pre-requisite of visitors (and presumably members) to abide to. Failure to do so may result in an embarrassing request to leave the course or purchase suitable attire. You can argue the semantics about whether it is a daft rule, out of date, stereotypical etc, etc, but the core fact remains that you have to adhere to their request

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really? I think if you are taking up the game then chances are you'll go down the pay and play/municipal route as a lot of us did. A lot of these (not all of course) seem to be more relaxed. I can think of a host of reasons why the game may struggle to attract new participants but white socks isn't one of them
Nope, been a member of a private club pretty much since I started. The suggestion is then that this should then indoctrinate you in how to properly behave at a private club. So private member's clubs trying to attract juniors and bring them through to full members are waisting their time as they need to be broken in at a municipal course first to change their sock wearing habits. Can you not see that people, me included, have issues with being told what to wear and that certain aspects of the media or interested parties let me to paint golf in a certain way and this just provides fuel to the fire.

Hitdaball

Visit site
Imo the facts are clear. You can argue the semantics about whether it is a daft rule, out of date, stereotypical etc, etc, but the core fact remains that you have to adhere to their request

But the discussion was about whether it’s a daft rule or not - rather than if the rules should be obeyed - which kinda makes your post superfluous , no?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imo the facts are clear cut. A club evokes a dress code policy of white socks. Whether that is an antiquated and outdated rule or not, it is a pre-requisite of visitors (and presumably members) to abide to. Failure to do so may result in an embarrassing request to leave the course or purchase suitable attire. You can argue the semantics about whether it is a daft rule, out of date, stereotypical etc, etc, but the core fact remains that you have to adhere to their request
But that is not the full argument being made. People are actually looking at the bigger picture and attention this brings and are debating this point. By your opinion women should not vote etc. The fact is that modernisation only comes about by having an opinion but if you are happy with a game caught up in a bygon era then stick with it or produce an opinion better than just follow the rules and ignore the idiocy of it. After all, if people had not spoken up certain clubs would not even treat women equally

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seriously is this still going on? If you don’t like a dress code then there are a few avenues open to you. You could either:
1. Follow the rules the club has in place. Let’s be honest, you are the one who wants to play there.
2. Be so offended at the colour of sock rule that you take your money else where.
3. Be so offended at the colour of sock rule that you decide to join the club, get on the board/committee and change the rule