Sock gate (again)

D

Deleted member 3432

Perhaps clubs need to bring in some fashion designers to 'refresh' the dress code to bring it more online with modern dress sense.

Some hilarious stuff on this thread, most fun reading this I've had in ages.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
im not confusing anythng, i find it funny the lengths some will go to defend socks ;)

So do I but still think you're missing my point. It's not about just socks, I'm siding with the principals of right and wrong as defined in a broad philosophy and the freedoms of a club to define and defend their own identity and culture. It's an argument of fundamental morality and can be applied as much to religion as it is to law, politics, sport, games and many other things in life. Humans are tribalistic creatures and we organise ourselves around rules and principals whether we're aware of it or not, for good and bad.

The fundamental paradox is that freedom of choice includes the right to have no choice.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The question of "why" is the rule there was asked on page 1, and 150 posts later, still not answered. Well, it's simple...

If you wear black socks with shorts, you will look a complete and utter tit. You will, quite rightly, be laughed at, and pointed at. You may suffer verbal, even possibly physical, abuse. The golf club, because you are their guest, would not wish you to suffer that. So they maintain a simple little rule to safeguard you. The rule is there to protect you from yourself.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If people didn't feel they couldn't whinge, it would likely stop them trying to do something positive to change things. Imagine if the world was full of people happy to settle for the status quo, with no questioning or change? We'd be in the dark ages...

Luckily, there is a forum for change, and if that all starts with a little whinge on a social media platform, which is golf specific, then I'm all for it.

I'm for the future, not the past. Embrace the change, and don't live in the past, you might find you like it... ;-)

The only way change comes about is to actively get involved... Pointing the gun hoping another will pull the trigger achieves zip...

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The question of "why" is the rule there was asked on page 1, and 150 posts later, still not answered. Well, it's simple...

If you wear black socks with shorts, you will look a complete and utter tit. You will, quite rightly, be laughed at, and pointed at. You may suffer verbal, even possibly physical, abuse. The golf club, because you are their guest, would not wish you to suffer that. So they maintain a simple little rule to safeguard you. The rule is there to protect you from yourself.

White socks with black golf shoes!!! Bigger tit.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
If people can't see the damage stories like this do to golf then they need to speak to more non golfers. It just adds to the stereotype, the Midsomer Murder example that we discussed recently with a deep sigh.
What it will do is get people to actually check what is acceptable attire at the club you are playing at before you turn up.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wear whatever socks I pull out of the drawer in the morning. Guess I would get kicked out of a lot of golf clubs.

You’re not going to get kicked out though are you , i have no doubt you conform to your clubs own dress code whatever that be and if you were going to an away club I have no doubt you would have the common sense to check what the clubs dress code is - because you are a golfer and you know that each club sets it’s out standards and rules

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
So do I but still think you're missing my point. It's not about just socks, I'm siding with the principals of right and wrong as defined in a broad philosophy and the freedoms of a club to define and defend their own identity and culture. It's an argument of fundamental morality and can be applied as much to religion as it is to law, politics, sport, games and many other things in life. Humans are tribalistic creatures and we organise ourselves around rules and principals whether we're aware of it or not, for good and bad.

The fundamental paradox is that freedom of choice includes the right to have no choice.
I know why and so should Every one understand the very good reason for speed limits.
The same is not true of white socks.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

I’m guessing you’re quite old?
Or a bit of a geek?
Or both?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Now I'm deeply troubled......
I've just looked at GGC's website and found their dress code.
You can wear ANY colour knee length socks - even black, multicoloured, red, purple, lime green.......
But as soon as the length of the sock reduces to ankle height they must be white........
I can understand and accept it if ALL socks had to be white with shorts but now the length of sock is determining the colour....
Sweet Jesus, I think my brain has just exploded.....
Somebody please tell me I'm reading this incorrectly....
This is completely bonkers......

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
You can wear ANY colour knee length socks - even black, multicoloured, red, purple, lime green.......
But as soon as the length of the sock reduces to ankle height they must be white........
I can understand and accept it if ALL socks had to be white with shorts but now the length of sock is determining the colour....

And no doubt trainer socks are allowed too, essentially no socks . 😂

D

Deleted member 3432

Do keep up. It's quite simple, it's the club rules :ROFLMAO: