Sock gate (again)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to “class”. Jeans not allowed in the club house is a prime example (in some clubhouses before people jump on the example).. these were originally brought in when jeans weren’t what they are today.. jeans are now opening worn as smart casual to many events, fashionable. Where as in years gone by they were worn as working mans clothes. So can’t possible have them allowed at the golf club. Stops tradesmen popping into the clubhouse on way home from work for a pint rather than going to the pub. Us and them. Pure and simple.

As the video touched on black socks are mainly seen as office socks.. ie you have worn them to the office you can’t possible now wear them for golf. You must wear a sports sock (because you can’t wear white to the office)

Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.

Deluded

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.
Twaddle!

Captainron

Visit site
Unfortunate but probably not undeserved though.

Either way, we are a lot of pages in and no one can explain why the rule exists, why it came about, and why it shouldn't be scrapped. Other of course than 'standards' :D
Why it exists is flipping irrelevant.

The fact that it actually exists means that it has to be adhered to or you don’t get to play.

If a club ever changes the rule then whatever they change it to will need to be adhered to.

If you don’t like the rule then don’t play those courses that require white socks.

Captainron

Visit site
And my thoughts are that sports socks are generally white and easily obtainable by “all classes:rolleyes:” and that having one colour makes everyone the same. Plus it’s easy to see when someone has broken the rule.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Getting told you can't wear a certain colour of socks, is that against my human rights?

😝😝😝😝

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I k
As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to “class”. Jeans not allowed in the club house is a prime example (in some clubhouses before people jump on the example).. these were originally brought in when jeans weren’t what they are today.. jeans are now opening worn as smart casual to many events, fashionable. Where as in years gone by they were worn as working mans clothes. So can’t possible have them allowed at the golf club. Stops tradesmen popping into the clubhouse on way home from work for a pint rather than going to the pub. Us and them. Pure and simple.

As the video touched on black socks are mainly seen as office socks.. ie you have worn them to the office you can’t possible now wear them for golf. You must wear a sports sock (because you can’t wear white to the office)

I know my place ...

Class distinction is so 1970’s , don’t think it’s a relevant argument in this day and age.

I don’t agree with these stringent dress codes, they are a throwback to a distant time, but if Sunningdale says to wear white socks with shorts, then white socks is what I shall and indeed did, wear.

It’s their trainset, if you want to play those courses then you follow their rules even if you think they are archaic.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To prove a point some years ago my mate dressed the same as his wife ( cue jokes).
He wore a white tee shirt with no sleeves ,black shorts and black socks.
His wife was dressed exactly the same.
He was refused on the course and clubhouse because he had improperly dressed for golf.
But his wife was fine.

One of the main things in our club is equality.
That black socks were ok is fine.
We have a white sock rule but any other colour worn will not be asked to leave just advised if coming back again.
Although I don’t know anyone who has been pulled up and most wear what they want.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ambient outside temperature 16 and over.....on with the shorts. Workday, black trainer socks with the safety trainers. Not going to work.....white trainer socks and whatever footwear is needed:)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To prove a point some years ago my mate dressed the same as his wife ( cue jokes).
He wore a white tee shirt with no sleeves ,black shorts and black socks.
His wife was dressed exactly the same.
He was refused on the course and clubhouse because he had improperly dressed for golf.
But his wife was fine.

One of the main things in our club is equality.
That black socks were ok is fine.
A similar 'challenge' was suggested at a previous club!

The result was 2 changes to the dress code - both involving socks! Black socks with shorts were 'discouraged' rather than banned. Men were allowed to wear 'bobble' socks (the 'foot only' ones that are prevented from falling into shoes by a 'bobble'). The continuation of the 'sleeved' shirt requirement (Men only) was explained as required to be 'normal/reasonably tidy' clothing over-riding the 'equality' aspects.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I k

I know my place ...

Class distinction is so 1970’s , don’t think it’s a relevant argument in this day and age.

I don’t agree with these stringent dress codes, they are a throwback to a distant time, but if Sunningdale says to wear white socks with shorts, then white socks is what I shall and indeed did, wear.

It’s their trainset, if you want to play those courses then you follow their rules even if you think they are archaic.

To which I do if I choose to play them

But the reason why they were put in place is what I posted. Pure and simple.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A similar 'challenge' was suggested at a previous club!

The result was 2 changes to the dress code - both involving socks! Black socks with shorts were 'discouraged' rather than banned. Men were allowed to wear 'bobble' socks (the 'foot only' ones that are prevented from falling into shoes by a 'bobble'). The continuation of the 'sleeved' shirt requirement (Men only) was explained as required to be 'normal/reasonably tidy' clothing over-riding the 'equality' aspects.
So women wearing sleeveless blouse is untidy using that logic.?

The whole point of equality is you don’t override aspects surely.

It all all started at ours because women could wear trainer socks and we could not.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So women wearing sleeveless blouse is untidy using that logic.?
No!

Though, from my limited experience of ladies clothing a sleveless 'blouse' might be! 'Top' was the description that sprang to my mind.

And likewise, it was the boblle/trainer sock issue that was the main 'controversy' at that review.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow. What a cracking read!! Jim summed it up earlier in that there are dress codes in many areas - school, work, nightclubs, playing bowls, Army, football etc. Why they are there is often historic and sometimes safety. You don't like the rules at your club, campaign to change - chances are if the majority agree, they will be changed - democracy, evolution - bless the Lord! You go to another club, where the rules have been made or evolved in a similar way, you play by their rules or you go and sit in the corner! You play for your local sunday league team and they have red tops and yellow socks, you do it or do you mean that the yellow socks are part of a working-class conspiracy!!

This forum has been taken over by a few real cockwambles that just post or argue for the sake of it - time for a cull, but that is for another time

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Wow. What a cracking read!! Jim summed it up earlier in that there are dress codes in many areas - school, work, nightclubs, playing bowls, Army, football etc. Why they are there is often historic and sometimes safety. You don't like the rules at your club, campaign to change - chances are if the majority agree, they will be changed - democracy, evolution - bless the Lord! You go to another club, where the rules have been made or evolved in a similar way, you play by their rules or you go and sit in the corner! You play for your local sunday league team and they have red tops and yellow socks, you do it or do you mean that the yellow socks are part of a working-class conspiracy!!

This forum has been taken over by a few real cockwambles that just post or argue for the sake of it - time for a cull, but that is for another time
Oof, perfect example of the attitude that stinks through out the game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I hear you Slasher...
But have you never wondered why knee length black socks are ok but ankle length black socks aren't...?