Sock gate (again)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow. What a cracking read!! Jim summed it up earlier in that there are dress codes in many areas - school, work, nightclubs, playing bowls, Army, football etc. Why they are there is often historic and sometimes safety. You don't like the rules at your club, campaign to change - chances are if the majority agree, they will be changed - democracy, evolution - bless the Lord! You go to another club, where the rules have been made or evolved in a similar way, you play by their rules or you go and sit in the corner! You play for your local sunday league team and they have red tops and yellow socks, you do it or do you mean that the yellow socks are part of a working-class conspiracy!!

This forum has been taken over by a few real cockwambles that just post or argue for the sake of it - time for a cull, but that is for another time

Schools uniforms have changed. Lots can wear polos instead of shirts and ties, blazers etc

Police some forces wear polos on duty

Work we have a no tie policy now , and official uniform has shorts!

Times change

You move with them

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hear you Slasher...
But have you never wondered why knee length black socks are ok but ankle length black socks aren't...?

I personally don't like or understand long sock policy but another example of something that is dying out as many clubs have dropped it. As to why black ok here and for short socks, no idea!!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Schools uniforms have changed. Lots can wear polos instead of shirts and ties, blazers etc

Times change

You move with them

Exactly what I said - things change and evolve and they are doing that in golf as in other areas. But a club will change rules when it members (the ones who fund it part own it) decide to do so.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Times change

You move with them
Times may have changed, and yes mostly for the better but they are still dress codes. Smart casual for the office I bet for a starters.

D

Deleted member 15344

Times change

You move with them
And plenty golf clubs move forward as well - all driven by the members if they so wish

Clubs go at different speeds and some are happy with the way they are

Ultimately it’s all down to the club and it’s members - there are other clubs around that people are welcome to play if they don’t like what’s on offer

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Sock rules grind my gears, I’ve only been pulled up at one place Surprisingly at a club in the ghetto in Birmingham.

It was a hot day. And was asked to purchase some thick white socks. My feet felt like they were on fire.
If I’d of not left my socks in the boot I’d of swapped them round. I like thin trainer socks. I prefer black socks too. The way white socks stain within 1 minute of being in stale footwear is enough to make me wretch.

Rules are not be followed but to be constantly questioned. Progress will never be made if you don’t question pointless rules and barricades.
People in authority like to think you should just put up and shut up, always take a stand and speak out. And if all else fails rebel.

You’ll always feel better that way.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh dear, perhaps we should make the forum into an exclusive private members club? I get the impression there are a few of you who'd like that.
Then you can have secret meetings and vet all new posters. 🤣

You are a prize plumb. Where in anything I said was there anything to do with class or private members clubs. An idiot is an idiot no matter what they earn or if they play at the local municipal or Queenwood! Go stroll elsewhere!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I personally don't like or understand long sock policy but another example of something that is dying out as many clubs have dropped it. As to why black ok here and for short socks, no idea!!
Same here
But that's the crux and starting point of the whole thread.
Guy can't play because his ankle socks aren't white yet if the socks were knee length he'd be ok.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
You are a prize plumb. Where in anything I said was there anything to do with class or private members clubs. An idiot is an idiot no matter what they earn or if they play at the local municipal or Queenwood! Go stroll elsewhere!

Handbags away chaps please, let’s play nice
Thank you

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here
But that's the crux and starting point of the whole thread.
Guy can't play because his ankle socks aren't white yet if the socks were knee length he'd be ok.

I have no problem with having a colour for socks but am almost ambient - the least cost of anything to do with golf

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm watching a bit of the Women's Open, yup it's chucking it down here, and caroline hedwall is wearing a t shirt, no disputing it unlike Tiger's t shirt which is a t shirt to everyone bar 1 person and the Nike marketing team. Anyway, rather like the jogging trousers worn last week by the S.African fella, it wouldn't be allowed at most clubs yet it's fine for a pro. Dress codes are a funny thing.

The course in France looks lovely incidentally.

Hitdaball

Visit site
As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to class.

Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.
A996FBC8-14D4-45B4-952A-2458C34B4673.jpeg

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Nope. Long way off hitting anything other than upon the fact that the attitude from the “working class” on here is mired in the early 1900’s.

The so called upper/middle class clubs are loads more inclusive these days and even let us lot on there nowadays

Hitdaball

Visit site
Nope. Long way off hitting anything other than upon the fact that the attitude from the “working class” on here is mired in the early 1900’s.

The so called upper/middle class clubs are loads more inclusive these days and even let us lot on there nowadays

Agree to a large extent , but it does explain where the nonsense came from in the first place.

D

Deleted member 1740

Having seen how some of the scruffy old fellas at certain top end clubs dress, no wonder they have a silly sock rule.