Sock gate (again)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If a club said you could wear whatever you liked, there would be the usual moaners complaining they can not play naked.:eek:

Perhaps take a club to the European Court of Justice, for the dreadful discrimination against black sock wearers ?

Life is too short. Pull down your troos and slide on the ice.(y)

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No wonder golf gets a bad press at times. I would comply if required but the sock code is a sad and pathetic little rule upheld by sad and pathetic little men. Rules may be rules but I find it quite pitiful that someone can be denied access or thrown off a course for the sake of a couple of inches of fabric above their shoes. Perhaps some people don’t have much of a life.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to “class”. Jeans not allowed in the club house is a prime example (in some clubhouses before people jump on the example).. these were originally brought in when jeans weren’t what they are today.. jeans are now opening worn as smart casual to many events, fashionable. Where as in years gone by they were worn as working mans clothes. So can’t possible have them allowed at the golf club. Stops tradesmen popping into the clubhouse on way home from work for a pint rather than going to the pub. Us and them. Pure and simple.

As the video touched on black socks are mainly seen as office socks.. ie you have worn them to the office you can’t possible now wear them for golf. You must wear a sports sock (because you can’t wear white to the office)

Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.

No, it boils down to standards. Years ago, the working class tradesmen that you claim are the cause would go to work in a collar & tie. Some were still doing it at the time I first started work. So nothing about keeping the "working class riff riff" in their place whatsoever.

Your bitterness is as palpable as your comment is laughable.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Schools uniforms have changed. Lots can wear polos instead of shirts and ties, blazers etc

Police some forces wear polos on duty

Work we have a no tie policy now , and official uniform has shorts!

Times change

You move with them

Just out of interest, what's the policy on this at the club where you are a member?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a club said you could wear whatever you liked, there would be the usual moaners complaining they can not play naked.:eek:

Perhaps take a club to the European Court of Justice, for the dreadful discrimination against black sock wearers ?

Life is too short. Pull down your troos and slide on the ice.(y)
Now that first part has put a horrible picture in my head.

Boris will take care of the ECJ,

That last part sounds fun though. What happens if they stick to the ice?

What’s french for “black socks “ we could start a movement like the yellow vests in France.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Loudmouth trousers tend to be conforming, what ever they look like. However, a friend of mine was refused access wearing a pair at a nice course. They just flat out said, you can't wear those trousers here. Fair play to the course. He is an idiot, and they weren't even ironed.

That said, he could make a £3000 suit look like it came from Lidl.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Or perhaps objected to by people that have the common sense to see wearing coloured socks being against the rules is more ridiculous than allowing things like Loudmouth trousers within those same rules
I expect there were plenty of Loudmouth trews on display at Sunningdale a few days ago. And likely to be plenty at any/every GM outing! Not to my taste, but if it doesn't break the club rules....

Btw Common sense is a pretty/extremely rare attribute!

D

Deleted member 1740

Loudmouth trousers tend to be conforming, what ever they look like. However, a friend of mine was refused access wearing a pair at a nice course. They just flat out said, you can't wear those trousers here. Fair play to the course. He is an idiot, and they weren't even ironed.

That said, he could make a £3000 suit look like it came from Lidl.

Is he a upper class or working class fella this friend?

Wolf

Visit site
No, it’s people who don’t have the common sense to check what the rules are before deciding to wear the wrong things
In the case of the GGC incident yes.

What about the likes of us that do check abide by the Rules whatsever they are but still don't agree with it.

Just because something is a rule we abide by doesn't mean the validity shouldn't be questioned.

Wolf

Visit site
I expect there were plenty of Loudmouth trews on display at Sunningdale a few days ago. And likely to be plenty at any/every GM outing! Not to my taste, but if it doesn't break the club rules....

Btw Common sense is a pretty/extremely rare attribute!
I don't question question if there were. But that's the issue people have if something like those is accepted within the rules, how can people then say a coloured sock doesn't look appropriate.

This whole thread has been taken over by people claiming don't like it tough etc. Ridiculous comparisons to School uniforms, military uniforms which is no way comparible. Yet nobody has answered the question posted on page 1, why is it so other than because the rules say so!

D

Deleted member 1147

In the case of the GGC incident yes.

What about the likes of us that do check abide by the Rules whatsever they are but still don't agree with it.

Just because something is a rule we abide by doesn't mean the validity shouldn't be questioned.
Couldn’t give a crap if you agree with a rule or not. You abide by the rule in place, or don’t play! The rules are the rules!
If you want to change it you join the committee.

Wolf

Visit site
Couldn’t give a crap if you agree with a rule or not. You abide by the rule in place, or don’t play! The rules are the rules!
If you want to change it you join the committee.
Therein lays the issue.. The attitude of we don't care just do as we say, typical of golf and half the issue in clubs .. As I said earlier in this thread "parent/toddler mentality"

As for joining the committee easier said than done in a lot of golfing establishments but that's a whole different thread.