Sock gate (again)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Enforcement of a sock rule as stringently as a jacket and tie rule is wrong imo.

If a visitor makes a faux pas wearing the wrong socks he should be advised to wear white the next time they visit and that should be the end of it.

Members blatantly ignoring rules shouldn't be ignored and should be addressed accordingly.

Frog marching visitors off the course is a disgrace. There are ways and means to handle things and that is not it.

D

Deleted member 1147

Therein lays the issue.. The attitude of we don't care just do as we say, typical of golf and half the issue in clubs .. As I said earlier in this thread "parent/toddler mentality"

As for joining the committee easier said than done in a lot of golfing establishments but that's a whole different thread.
Normally you just apply and hope you’re popular enough to get the necessary votes!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't question question if there were. But that's the issue people have if something like those is accepted within the rules, how can people then say a coloured sock doesn't look appropriate.

This whole thread has been taken over by people claiming don't like it tough etc. Ridiculous comparisons to School uniforms, military uniforms which is no way comparible. Yet nobody has answered the question posted on page 1, why is it so other than because the rules say so!
The real question seems to me to be.... 'Why does it matter so much'!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally you just apply and hope you’re popular enough to get the necessary votes!

So your a known trouble maker.. an anti sock rule kind of person who changes their shoes in the car park ..

You apply to the committee to help change the rules but aren’t voted on because your not popular enough to matter

However the local drug dealer who wears the correct socks and has lots of mates gets voted on and veto’s all changes

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
In the case of the GGC incident yes.

What about the likes of us that do check abide by the Rules whatsever they are but still don't agree with it.

Just because something is a rule we abide by doesn't mean the validity shouldn't be questioned.
But you don’t actually have the right to question the bloody rule because it’s their rule.

Wolf

Visit site
What do you think the answer is?
I know the answer for the club in the OP as been told it by the club themselves when I was there. The answer for them is its just always been the rule and committee refuse to change it.

I didn't ask the initial question on here, but makes me laugh it gets lost amongst the it is the way it is brigade don't question rules..

D

Deleted member 1740

Just be glad you can wear shorts in comps at your course, the pro's can't.

D

Deleted member 1147

So your a known trouble maker.. an anti sock rule kind of person who changes their shoes in the car park ..

You apply to the committee to help change the rules but aren’t voted on because your not popular enough to matter

However the local drug dealer who wears the correct socks and has lots of mates gets voted on and veto’s all changes
You have a drug dealer on your committee.
Why don’t you report him to the police ?

Wolf

Visit site
So, you get pissy because you don’t like the rules, you know how to go about getting them changed, yet don’t do anything about it.
So what’s the issue?
I don't need change the rule at my club any colour of socks is permissable.

I'm not being pissy at all, I'm someone that will abide by the Rules and if one doesn't sit right will question it with the relevant authority to be dealt with accordingly. As for why wouldn't I go on a committee, simple answer is I don't have the time to commit to going to meetings and doing things for the club outside of the little time I get to play. Maybe in a few years when I have the time I may do just that.

D

Deleted member 1147

...makes me laugh it gets lost amongst the it is the way it is brigade don't question rules..
I question a lot of rules at my place. I go to the members Q&A, write to the manager etc, and we’ve got things changed. For example, gents weren’t allowed to wear shorts in the bar, but now we are, following sensible discussions and members and committee members putting it forward.

Wolf

Visit site
I question a lot of rules at my place. I go to the members Q&A, write to the manager etc, and we’ve got things changed. For example, gents weren’t allowed to wear shorts in the bar, but now we are, following sensible discussions and members and committee members putting it forward.
This is how it should be, and how I would do it as well as I don't have time to be on a committee.

Though it's strange you say you do this as there's rules you don't agree with but I point out one I don't agree with here and you say I'm being pissy 🤔

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know the answer for the club in the OP as been told it by the club themselves when I was there. The answer for them is its just always been the rule and committee refuse to change it.

I didn't ask the initial question on here, but makes me laugh it gets lost amongst the it is the way it is brigade don't question rules..

Committee can't have "refuse[d] to change" something unless it's been challenged prior; therefore we can reasonably conclude it has been challenged at least once but they've decided to keep the rule as is.

You seem to be confusing causation with correlation, "refuse to change" and "don't question rules" are not the same thing.

Their club, their rules. It's just the way it is.

D

Deleted member 1418

Are you allowed to wear coloured socks with your shorts in the bar??!! 😉😂