Sock gate (again)

D

Deleted member 15344

So your a known trouble maker.. an anti sock rule kind of person who changes their shoes in the car park ..

You apply to the committee to help change the rules but aren’t voted on because your not popular enough to matter

However the local drug dealer who wears the correct socks and has lots of mates gets voted on and veto’s all changes
At a Members club all you need to do is apply to have the rule discussed and voted on at the AGM which is exactly what someone did when they wanted to allow jeans in the club

He put the motion to members at the AGM with his reasons and it was then voted on - that’s how you change rules within a golf club and even more so in a Members club

If it’s a pay and play ask the owner or committee that run the club

I’m sure with the way you converse with people on here it should be a breeze 🙄
I know the answer for the club in the OP as been told it by the club themselves when I was there. The answer for them is its just always been the rule and committee refuse to change it.

I didn't ask the initial question on here, but makes me laugh it gets lost amongst the it is the way it is brigade don't question rules..

No one has said “don’t question the rules”

All that has been said is when the rule is in place it must be followed , if you want to change the rule then follow the appropriate channels for that to happen.

And yes you have had an answer why clubs have a dress code including white socks only - because they wanted it , because it’s possible they believe that it makes someone look smarter , because they think there should be a standard to dress and that doesn’t include short different colour socks. There could be various reasons why they have the rule in place and the only way you will find out is to ask the club enforcing the rule.

D

Deleted member 1418

Who the heck owns slippers? They are even more naff than black ankle socks with shorts.

I own a few pairs so I'm prepared for every situation i.e. flooring, carpet, tiles......😉😂😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a Members club all you need to do is apply to have the rule discussed and voted on at the AGM which is exactly what someone did when they wanted to allow jeans in the club

He put the motion to members at the AGM with his reasons and it was then voted on - that’s how you change rules within a golf club and even more so in a Members club

If it’s a pay and play ask the owner or committee that run the club

I’m sure with the way you converse with people on here it should be a breeze 🙄

No one has said “don’t question the rules”

All that has been said is when the rule is in place it must be followed , if you want to change the rule then follow the appropriate channels for that to happen.

And yes you have had an answer why clubs have a dress code including white socks only - because they wanted it , because it’s possible they believe that it makes someone look smarter , because they think there should be a standard to dress and that doesn’t include short different colour socks. There could be various reasons why they have the rule in place and the only way you will find out is to ask the club enforcing the rule.

lol because your such a breeze 😂😂

How’s that glass house?

Never had a problem at any course I’ve played..

Trousers = black socks
Shorts = white socks

Normally have a spare pair in the car knocking about if anyone was to get fussy in the pro shop. Which again has never happened.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What we don't know is the reasoning behind 5-6 inches of fabric being offensive - if it's banned it must be - if it's not a certain colour.
But it's totally insane

It is insane, but my guess is it's because many golf clubs are older than the invention of socks as we currently know them. Many historic clubs and their originating rules were formed when knickerbockers and stockings were considered every day wear for gentlemen.

Wearing trousers without a waistcoat and jacket was a revolutionary fashion change during the reign of Victoria, which ended in 1901, so it's not that long ago in the grand scheme of golf and the speed at which committees move. And
there is no reasoning for it other than that the Victorian etiquette was weird and many things were considered offensive dress for anyone that wanted to move in those circles.

Fashion moves faster than golf. That's all it is.