Sock gate (again)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s easier to see a leather wedge out of the rough with white socks.

To be fair most sport socks years ago were white.
You couldn’t really buy coloured ones until people who didn’t do any sport started wearing sports clothing.
It was fashion clothing not really sport clothing as such.
Golf clubs just haven't caught up.
But if they haven't been asked the reason why nothing will change.

But asking someone to leave because of their socks ! Well???

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just as an aside, now that the local news editor has created his mamoth story, and the club has been pilloried across the ether, do you suppose that the committee will change their mind or just harden their resolve to keep the dress code as it is?
If he isn't a member, I can't see him being allowed to play there again, and if he is a member I can see a "bringing the club into disrepute" charge forthcoming:)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just as an aside, now that the local news editor has created his mamoth story, and the club has been pilloried across the ether, do you suppose that the committee will change their mind or just harden their resolve to keep the dress code as it is?
If he isn't a member, I can't see him being allowed to play there again, and if he is a member I can see a "bringing the club into disrepute" charge forthcoming:)

My thoughts entirely. If he is a member, he is absolutely stuffed.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What colour stockings?!! 😉🤭😀

I know this is a joke but there's an interesting thought here :) Up until the Victorian's discovered synthetic dyes around 1870 it's quite likely to have been only white, off white or yellows, browns and very pale reds from vegetable and animal dies. Good blues, dark blacks and purples were pretty much Royal colours exclusively due to expense of the dyes. Fabric dying has a fascinating history and the Victorians completely turned it on its head - dominating and destroying many worldwide trade roots in the process.

So thinking about it now, the combination of fashion, textiles, class, industry, trade routes and golf... It's no surprise that the Victorians influenced golf fashion and ettiquette so much is it? Textiles were a huge trade of the upper classes and a significant aspect in the industrial revolution.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Just be glad you can wear shorts in comps at your course, the pro's can't.
I reckon golf brands (eg Nike, Adidas, etc) will get this changed in the end, to promote their products. Possibly even a particular stretch of the season where they are allowed to, like 'the Florida swing' for example.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I reckon golf brands (eg Nike, Adidas, etc) will get this changed in the end, to promote their products. Possibly even a particular stretch of the season where they are allowed to, like 'the Florida swing' for example.

I think it’s crazy that they can’t wear shorts.
But I suppose thems the rules & if they don’t like it 🤷‍♂️......

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Enforcement of a sock rule as stringently as a jacket and tie rule is wrong imo.

If a visitor makes a faux pas wearing the wrong socks he should be advised to wear white the next time they visit and that should be the end of it.

Members blatantly ignoring rules shouldn't be ignored and should be addressed accordingly.

Frog marching visitors off the course is a disgrace. There are ways and means to handle things and that is not it.

And the next time they visit and "forget" to wear the right socks they'll expect another warning. And the next time, and the time after that and so it goes on. No point having the rule if you are not going to enforce it.

D

Deleted member 1740

Money talks but until the USPGA or ET allow it, I don’t think clubs will change with their different sock rules.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As touched on in the video I posted it boils down to “class”. Jeans not allowed in the club house is a prime example (in some clubhouses before people jump on the example).. these were originally brought in when jeans weren’t what they are today.. jeans are now opening worn as smart casual to many events, fashionable. Where as in years gone by they were worn as working mans clothes. So can’t possible have them allowed at the golf club. Stops tradesmen popping into the clubhouse on way home from work for a pint rather than going to the pub. Us and them. Pure and simple.

As the video touched on black socks are mainly seen as office socks.. ie you have worn them to the office you can’t possible now wear them for golf. You must wear a sports sock (because you can’t wear white to the office)

Dress it up however people claim to “maintain standards” it’s trying to maintain the line between working class and middle class by mostly people who are actually working class and don’t want to appear working class so insist on the dress code to hide the fact their working class.
I think you might be right. And even if you're not, that is still the first even remotely plausible explanation I've ever heard as to why the white sock rule exists in the first place. I can certainly believe it's dated throwback to some kind of ancient nonsense like that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, you can question anything in your own club, fair enough, but when visiting? Abide by their rules. It is their play ground, and you are a guest. Do the right thing, wear the right kit, put up, shut up, and crack on with it. Your petty rebellion is not going to change a single thing, and will just label you an idiot.

Why white socks? No idea. Does it really matter? No. So if they ask for it, just comply. It isn't hard, it is not demeaning, it just is.

I go to friends houses. They ask me to take my shoes off. In my view, this is stupid. In my house, I don't give a stuff. In theirs, that is what they want, and I comply. I don't argue. It is their place, their rules. I don't throw a strop. I don't go, you cannot be serious, I don't go home, I just take my shoes off.
The difference is there is an obvious and justifiable reason for not wanting someone to wear their shoes in your house. If I went to a mate's house and he said "whoa, you're not coming in here wearing black socks!" I'd think he was completely bloody mental.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The difference is there is an obvious and justifiable reason for not wanting someone to wear their shoes in your house. If I went to a mate's house and he said "whoa, you're not coming in here wearing black socks!" I'd think he was completely bloody mental.

Really? I am yet to be convinced. If he asked if my shoes were clean, fine, but that is not the question. It is a straight, no shoes. Why? It makes no sense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? I am yet to be convinced. If he asked if my shoes were clean, fine, but that is not the question. It is a straight, no shoes. Why? It makes no sense.
Some people are dust freaks I guess. I mean, sure it seems a bit OCD but at least you don't have to think too hard to come up with the reason why. Whereas for banning non-white socks we're now 22 pages in and there still hasn't been a sensible explanation given.