Sock gate (again)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That's your opinion on fashion rather than an actual reason for clubs to ban them yet still allow loudmouth trousers, bucket hats, lime green gloves etc etc. I'm sure you can see enough inconsistencies there to know it's nothing to do with fashion.

Those that don't like it call it an inconsistency, others just accept it as a rule. Its someone else's club, and they have a rule. As a visitor I respect their rules. I might not agree with them but I respect and accept them without getting my ironed knickers in a twist.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Those that don't like it call it an inconsistency, others just accept it as a rule. Its someone else's club, and they have a rule. As a visitor I respect their rules. I might not agree with them but I respect and accept them without getting my ironed knickers in a twist.

You iron your knickers!!!

Stone him 😂😂

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Tbf tho people are only asking why.
I think it’s a stupid rule & I’d feel like a knob wearing white socks.
But if that’s what a club insisted on I’d either buy a pair of white socks 😖
Or wear trousers.

Yeah think I’d go with the latter.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I iron my knickers? I've not wielded an iron for 25 years. I'm barred from ironing. 1 little mistake with her fav silk blouse...never forgiven.
That was a clever move.

I did notice years ago I had the perfect iron impression on the back of one of my shirts. Nice try Mrs H, but I will just keep my jacket on thank you.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
That was a clever move.

I did notice years ago I had the perfect iron impression on the back of one of my shirts. Nice try Mrs H, but I will just keep my jacket on thank you.

Or could have said
“Not to worry love accidents happen,practice makes perfect”

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies as I have not read all 470+ posts thus far.

However when considering this, quite possibly the most vexatious of questions in all of golf, then I am minded to comment.

For my own two bob’s worth and when on the course in clement weather, then for me it’s always a knee-length stocking and preferably styled in the family tartan, with perhaps an optional gold ribbon folded into the turn-down band at the top.

The ankle-length ‘sock’ in black is an abomination, flies in the face of the Golfing Gods and indeed all understanding of sartorial elegance.

Put simply it is worse than the Englishman when holidaying abroad, favouring the open-toed sandal and be-socked foot clad in either black, tan or fawn.;)

*Shivers violently*

Last edited:

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
How about a long white football sock? I think I'm gonna get some Leeds United socks and see If I get any comments about them.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wore a ghastly combo on Saturday, it was raining, nay, pouring down, and I had shorts on. Rather than ruin a pair of my spikeless shoes I had to wear some spikes, ones which were waterproof. These happened to be black golf boots!!! With long white sports socks (not the ankle variety, but not football length either). Black boots, white socks, grey shorts.... what a combo!

In fact after my round, one of the guys looked at me and laughed, and said I looked like a hunter going on an African adventure!

I had the last laugh, however, as my feet were still dry ;)

sunshine

Visit site
Enforcement of a sock rule as stringently as a jacket and tie rule is wrong imo.

If a visitor makes a faux pas wearing the wrong socks he should be advised to wear white the next time they visit and that should be the end of it.

Members blatantly ignoring rules shouldn't be ignored and should be addressed accordingly.

Frog marching visitors off the course is a disgrace. There are ways and means to handle things and that is not it.

No.

Violators of sock rules should be strung up (by their socks) at the entrance to the club as a guideline of what is inappropriate so future visitors don't ignore the rules.

sunshine

Visit site
I wore a ghastly combo on Saturday, it was raining, nay, pouring down, and I had shorts on. Rather than ruin a pair of my spikeless shoes I had to wear some spikes, ones which were waterproof. These happened to be black golf boots!!! With long white sports socks (not the ankle variety, but not football length either). Black boots, white socks, grey shorts.... what a combo!

In fact after my round, one of the guys looked at me and laughed, and said I looked like a hunter going on an African adventure!

I had the last laugh, however, as my feet were still dry ;)

Long white socks with black shoes?

Not sure about that, but then again she seems to have carried it off:
https://images.app.goo.gl/z8REavy5sy7fWH7z5