Sock gate (again)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do we know if a t shirt is designed for golf? I have some t-shirts which I use on hot holidays which are like the running t-shirts, training t shirts etc that are popular now. They are basically what Tiger wears. I bought mine from the running dept but they could easily be from the golf dept. They look smart but I would not chance my arm at a golf club in one even though they would be lovely and cool to play in. Annoying when I think about it.

I agree with your comments by the way. Personally I'm not sure I would have any restrictions. People would be daft to play golf in jeans, they are just the wrong material, but if they want to that is up to them. I'm not a fan of football tops so you could ban them but even then I don't feel that strongly about them. I once played behind a man at a hotel course who played in jeans and a Spurs shirt. Once I had got over the naughtiness I realised I didn't actually care and the fact that he played quickly was more important than his clothes.

So, there you go, no restrictions. I suspect 98% of golfers would wear the same as they do now, it really would not be armageddon.

Pretty much agree with all of that. I suspect I would wear much the same (maybe a T shirt instead of a polo shirt and maybe a rugby shirt on days when the weather is just OK). Afterwards I would change into jeans, trainers and a hoodie as that is what I wear most days. The only time that may differ is I am passing the club, have an hour or 2 to spare and the clubs in the car then I would nip out in whatever I was wearing (always have golf shoes in the car). So, nothing dramatic, no end of days, just what I feel comfortable in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much agree with all of that. I suspect I would wear much the same (maybe a T shirt instead of a polo shirt and maybe a rugby shirt on days when the weather is just OK). Afterwards I would change into jeans, trainers and a hoodie as that is what I wear most days. The only time that may differ is I am passing the club, have an hour or 2 to spare and the clubs in the car then I would nip out in whatever I was wearing (always have golf shoes in the car). So, nothing dramatic, no end of days, just what I feel comfortable in.
This is all too reasonable and sensible. Someone will be along to tell us that dress codes exist because the golf clubs say so and if you don't like it you can play somewhere else, in 5... 4... 3...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is all too reasonable and sensible. Someone will be along to tell us that dress codes exist because the golf clubs say so and if you don't like it you can play somewhere else, in 5... 4... 3...

Forgot to mention cargo shorts. Comfortable, practical and not to bad on the smartness front but for some reason those extra pockets cause offence and they are banned. In summer I would play in cargo shorts not the standard tailored shorts. Not so reasonable now am I :eek::eek::D:D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forgot to mention cargo shorts. Comfortable, practical and not to bad on the smartness front but for some reason those extra pockets cause offence and they are banned. In summer I would play in cargo shorts not the standard tailored shorts. Not so reasonable now am I :eek::eek::D:D
Handy for keeping your tees, pitch repairer, pencil and marker in separate pockets rather than them all being in one. I don't understand the cargo shorts issue either.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Same as, for an arranged game I'll wear golf gear, but if the opportunity to go out and knock about for a few holes turns up, especially in the summer evening, I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to expect to play I what I am wearing that day, rather than having to change in to golf wear

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same as, for an arranged game I'll wear golf gear, but if the opportunity to go out and knock about for a few holes turns up, especially in the summer evening, I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to expect to play I what I am wearing that day, rather than having to change in to golf wear
Same goes for the clubhouse. I cannot count the amount of times that I have been in the car with my wife and driven past the clubhouse to go somewhere else for a quick bit of lunch simply because one of us is not dressed to the required standard (normally me as I mentioned, I am normally in jeans, trainers and a hoodie, none of which do down well at my club).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of them I wear sometimes as well. More pockets seems entirely sensible for a sport where you potentially carry round tees, a spare golf ball, pitch mark repairer, marker, your phone for GPS, a pencil and a scorecard, plus your glove while putting. Still, cargo shorts being inexplicably banned is probably worth a whole new topic in itself. :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of them I wear sometimes as well. More pockets seems entirely sensible for a sport where you potentially carry round tees, a spare golf ball, pitch mark repairer, marker, your phone for GPS, a pencil and a scorecard, plus your glove while putting. Still, cargo shorts being inexplicably banned is probably worth a whole new topic in itself. :ROFLMAO:
No need for a new topic. It's the rules, like it or lump it. Topic closed 😄😄😄

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
More leisure wear. I know what you are saying, builder etc, but I could wear chino's and a polo shirt at work, I do, and go straight to the golf course, often do. Workwear. Does it matter if it is workwear being worn?
Technically could play in my suit and tie but would rather not

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Technically could play in my suit and tie but would rather not
That could be going back to the class point brought up umpteen pages ago. You can play in a suit and tie but not cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I actually didn't agree with that point but maybe in some instances it does hold credibility :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That could be going back to the class point brought up umpteen pages ago. You can play in a suit and tie but not cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I actually didn't agree with that point but maybe in some instances it does hold credibility :unsure:
I don't doubt that dress codes may have originated as a class thing like that. But nowadays it's simply upheld because 'tradition' hasn't allowed it to die off.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Not round my place. It is recognised golf kit only.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not round my place. It is recognised golf kit only.
That is an interesting point. I checked my own club site and we have no dress code published. I then went on to another local club website, has some airs about it. They don't use that term, only do the usual collarless shirts, denim, football tops etc. I don't see it being a major issue though :D