Sock gate (again)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wore a ghastly combo on Saturday, it was raining, nay, pouring down, and I had shorts on. Rather than ruin a pair of my spikeless shoes I had to wear some spikes, ones which were waterproof. These happened to be black golf boots!!! With long white sports socks (not the ankle variety, but not football length either). Black boots, white socks, grey shorts.... what a combo!

In fact after my round, one of the guys looked at me and laughed, and said I looked like a hunter going on an African adventure!

I had the last laugh, however, as my feet were still dry ;)
All that and a red top!!! You would definitely have been noticed on the common!!! Not sure what the rangers would have made of it all had they seen you

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Flippin eck how did i miss this one. 25 pages on socks.
Who are top contributors to this topic. 😂

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flippin eck how did i miss this one. 25 pages on socks.
Who are top contributors to this topic. 😂
I'll save you reading all 25 pages. There are two camps:

1 / What the hell does it matter what socks you wear, why does the rule exist?
2/ Those are the rules, wear the socks you are told to wear

By all means read the 25 pages and have a good chuckle but I think that is a fair summary :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

By all means read the 25 pages and have a good chuckle but I think that is a fair summary :D
And the subtle juxtaposition that points 1 and 2 are not even related.

D

Deleted member 21258

I reckon there are three other fringe groups on the thread, that let things slip :-

3) Its a tribal thing and we all like to wear the same stuff
4) People like their knickers ironed
5) People like to wear stockings whilst playing a-round (of golf)

:D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon there are three other fringe groups on the thread, that let things slip :-

3) Its a tribal thing and we all like to wear the same stuff
4) People like their knickers ironed
5) People like to wear stockings whilst playing a-round (of golf)

:D
I was trying to compress it. If we are adding fringe elements then you get back to 25 pages :LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Indeed...I was there in 2017 to witness a group of 12 Americans being sent to the pro shop to buy "regulation socks" if they wanted to play in shorts.... it was a really hot day too! :)
one of the guys i know went there was told he had to buy some long socks in the shop, the silly bugger is still wearing them every time you see him, his new nic name is Pippy longstockings:LOL:

D

Deleted member 21258

only place i can think of in Scotland that has a sock rule is Elie, and thats long socks up to the knee

Muirfield does(copied below), made me laugh when I checked it out :-

and either full length or white or dark coloured short socks must be worn

No grey or pink coloured short socks but black would be okay, golf dress code is mad as a hatter:LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Muirfield does(copied below), made me laugh when I checked it out :-

No grey or pink coloured short socks but black would be okay, golf dress code is mad as a hatter:LOL:
played Muirfield many times in shorts and never had any issies, mind you only ever where white socks, maybe played with ones with Blue tops, but saying that was with a member

D

Deleted Member 1156

Good to see GM advocating abolishing outdated dress codes in thier etiquette piece in the mag.
There is no real place in the modern game for all that nonsense.
What would be your ideal dress code?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Your getting in a tiz Gordon. I'm not saying get rid of dress codes , just some parts are daft, as can be seen by the fact we're at almost 500 posts about sock colour....
That's the problem, anytime these conversations come up too many go straight to defcon 1 and think it will soon be ripped jeans and footy shirts all round.

Last edited:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
As for my ideal, can't say I have one. I wear golf trousers and a golf top and that does the job. That said if I'm wearing a t shirt in the day and decide to go for a knock about , it seems stupid that I have to generate more washing by not being allowed to wear it and change in to prescribed top. Which could still be a t shirt but one designed for golf

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As for my ideal, can't say I have one. I wear golf trousers and a golf top and that does the job. That said if I'm wearing a t shirt in the day and decide to go for a knock about , it seems stupid that I have to generate more washing by not being allowed to wear it and change in to prescribed top. Which could still be a t shirt but one designed for golf
How do we know if a t shirt is designed for golf? I have some t-shirts which I use on hot holidays which are like the running t-shirts, training t shirts etc that are popular now. They are basically what Tiger wears. I bought mine from the running dept but they could easily be from the golf dept. They look smart but I would not chance my arm at a golf club in one even though they would be lovely and cool to play in. Annoying when I think about it.

I agree with your comments by the way. Personally I'm not sure I would have any restrictions. People would be daft to play golf in jeans, they are just the wrong material, but if they want to that is up to them. I'm not a fan of football tops so you could ban them but even then I don't feel that strongly about them. I once played behind a man at a hotel course who played in jeans and a Spurs shirt. Once I had got over the naughtiness I realised I didn't actually care and the fact that he played quickly was more important than his clothes.

So, there you go, no restrictions. I suspect 98% of golfers would wear the same as they do now, it really would not be armageddon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do we know if a t shirt is designed for golf? I have some t-shirts which I use on hot holidays which are like the running t-shirts, training t shirts etc that are popular now. They are basically what Tiger wears. I bought mine from the running dept but they could easily be from the golf dept. They look smart but I would not chance my arm at a golf club in one even though they would be lovely and cool to play in. Annoying when I think about it.

I agree with your comments by the way. Personally I'm not sure I would have any restrictions. People would be daft to play golf in jeans, they are just the wrong material, but if they want to that is up to them. I'm not a fan of football tops so you could ban them but even then I don't feel that strongly about them. I once played behind a man at a hotel course who played in jeans and a Spurs shirt. Once I had got over the naughtiness I realised I didn't actually care and the fact that he played quickly was more important than his clothes.

So, there you go, no restrictions. I suspect 98% of golfers would wear the same as they do now, it really would not be armageddon.
You make a good point. The difference between a running t-shirt and some of the collarless golf t-shirts these days is nothing more than a couple of buttons being on it. Golf is a sport so on a hot day, in an ideal world, you should really be able to wear a plain sports t-shirt like the one you describe. It is only 'traditions' that prevent this at most clubs. And as you say, jeans are impractical for the purpose of golf, but a pair of sports shorts with pockets for your tees etc - why not?

That said I've never had an problem with wearing polo shirts and golf shorts/trousers, along with golf shoes of course. But anything beyond that goes too far in my opinion. Dictating the length and colour of socks is just pompous silliness really. They are just socks, they serve the practical purpose of lining your feet against your shoes - that's it.

D

Deleted member 21258

My club is very laid back over dress code and the local council course is, and as you say after the initial shock of seeing people playing in vests:giggle:, I thought I really didn't care about what other people are or are not wearing on the course.

Still have to fight the reaction to what are wearing, it is so flipping ingrained.:LOL: