Sock gate (again)

D

Deleted member 1147

Some people are dust freaks I guess. I mean, sure it seems a bit OCD but at least you don't have to think too hard to come up with the reason why. Whereas for banning non-white socks we're now 22 pages in and there still hasn't been a sensible explanation given.
Yes there has...black socks with shorts looks terrible 👎

D

Deleted member 1740

I think you might be right. And even if you're not, that is still the first even remotely plausible explanation I've ever heard as to why the white sock rule exists in the first place. I can certainly believe it's dated throwback to some kind of ancient nonsense like that.

You may think it’s nonsense, others think it’s tradition. Just like Tennis at Wimbledon, the outfit must be predominately white. Why?

Does everything have to be justified?

D

Deleted member 1740

I’m no fashionista but it depends on the colour choice of shorts and White socks should only be worn when playing sport.

My old club had this rule of white socks and I only wore shorts once as I felt like a Warwick hunt.

D

Deleted member 1147

My old club had this rule of white socks and I only wore shorts once as I felt like a Warwick hunt.
I’m sure you looked like one!
Which is why I said earlier in the thread that middle aged blokes should avoid shorts on the golf course & leave them to the kids!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do footballers wear kits?
Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
Why do soldiers wear uniforms?
Why do rockers wear leather?
Why do punks wear safety pins?
Why do African Maasai people wear red?

Why do people keep asking this question when the answer is obvious: because we're human. It's human nature to live together in packs and we like to identify and advertise ourselves as belonging within that pack to other humans.

The counter argument of "the young don't like dress codes" is a nonsense - ask any kid if they wear the uniform of their football-club/people/service/music/etc and you'll just come across as stupid because of course they do.

Dress codes are part of life. Deal with it or go and find a different tribe to belong to.

In my opinion. ;)

Baws are too big for trousers in reply to kilts.

Wolf

Visit site
Jimaroid said:
1.Why do footballers wear kits?
2.Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
3.Why do soldiers wear uniforms?
4.Why do rockers wear leather?
5.Why do punks wear safety pins?
6.Why do African Maasai people wear red
1. To identify whose in the same team as them so they know who to pass to. Instead of being like at school where you had skins v tshirts..

2.Scotland.com notes that kilts were worn
by soldiers in the ScottishHighlands because they allowed freedom of movement in rough terrain. Pleated kilts helped to protect soldiers in combat, and the tartans were to identify which clan they belonged to.

3. To identify to which Regiment batallion, nation they belong to, for better concealment and to prevent everyone from being individual with their dress as uniformity means they're equal unless rank slides show different level of authority

4. Don't actually know must be the only one on your list that's purely for fashion🤷‍♂️

5. As much a fashion trope today as a genre of music or political outlook, punk rockers’ affection for the safety pin was born of utility: Punks needed something to hold together ragged, ripped clothing and to affix patches celebrating their favorite bands to the backs of their jackets

6.most Maasai wear the color red because it symbolizes their culture and they believe it scares away lions.

You see most things can be explained with good reasoning, well most except it seems for leather jackets and white socks😂

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You see most things can be explained with good reasoning, well most except it seems for leather jackets and white socks😂

Incorrect, you're looking for utilitarian purpose and deciding there are none in socks to fit your preconception. What others are saying is that not all clothes are or have to be based upon utility - it's an arbitrary doctrine and that, whether you can comprehend or not, is reason enough.

In all the cases above, not adhering to the formality of the dress code makes you a non conformist to those clubs, tribes or general organisations of people that they comprise.

Why is this so difficult?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I see lots of ridiculous a analogies are still getting dragged out. Speed limits, kits, uniforms etc
🤣🤣
Imagine you're thinking of taking up the game and you stumble across this forum
Oof, OMG
and you read about all the great meets we have, and all the good advice you can get, and all the positive posting, and you might say I just fancy a bit of that.

But wait, you read you have to wear white socks with shorts, and you say oh no I can't abide being told what socks to wear.o_O

Wolf

Visit site
Incorrect, you're looking for utilitarian purpose and deciding there are none in socks to fit your preconception. What others are saying is that not all clothes are or have to be based upon utility - it's an arbitrary doctrine and that, whether you can comprehend or not, is reason enough.

In all the cases above, not adhering to the formality of the dress code makes you a non conformist to those clubs, tribes or general organisations of people that they comprise.

Why is this so difficult?
Not looking for anything you asked some questions they got answered with the exact answers to them which proves they aren't comparible with white socks, especially comparing military uniforms to white sock rules is nothing short of laughable. Yet its me that doesn't get it aye 🙄

D

Deleted member 15344

Not looking for anything you asked some questions they got answered with the exact answers to them which proves they aren't comparible with white socks, especially comparing military uniforms to white sock rules is nothing short of laughable. Yet its me that doesn't get it aye 🙄

Yeah I hated have to wear Khaki long socks up to my knees when working in Cyprus even though no one could tell me you had to wear them up to your knees - well apart from it being in the rules 🙄

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
and you read about all the great meets we have, and all the good advice you can get, and all the positive posting, and you might say I just fancy a bit of that.

But wait, you read you have to wear white socks with shorts, and you say oh no I can't abide being told what socks to wear.o_O

Oops! Coffee everywhere. Oh you did make me laugh.

When we were kids, if the footie team we played for had white socks, we wore white socks. If I played tennis I wore white socks, and when I go lawn green bowling I wear white socks. Strangely enough, my feet have never fallen off.

Why all the fuss about being asked to wear them?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's your opinion on fashion rather than an actual reason for clubs to ban them yet still allow loudmouth trousers, bucket hats, lime green gloves etc etc. I'm sure you can see enough inconsistencies there to know it's nothing to do with fashion.