Sock gate (again)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My mate Lee had white socks but had to buy knee length ones at Cinque Ports. £17.:eek:
They were only about a fiver - possibly even less - at RSG.

Along with the 'honesty box' for 'refreshments' in the Dormy House, a (refreshing?) thoroughly 'Golfing' attitude - and one 'to be used, but not abused'!

D

Deleted member 1418

It is insane, but my guess is it's because many golf clubs are older than the invention of socks as we currently know them. Many historic clubs and their originating rules were formed when knickerbockers and stockings were considered every day wear for gentlemen.

Wearing trousers without a waistcoat and jacket was a revolutionary fashion change during the reign of Victoria, which ended in 1901, so it's not that long ago in the grand scheme of golf and the speed at which committees move. And
there is no reasoning for it other than that the Victorian etiquette was weird and many things were considered offensive dress for anyone that wanted to move in those circles.

Fashion moves faster than golf. That's all it is.

What colour stockings?!! 😉🤭😀

D

Deleted member 1418

Serious question for those who played golf in the 80s - were leg warmers allowed?

And if so what colour as all I can remember them being were horrible neon coloured.