Score in 4bbb used for handicap?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
How does that help them?

If I am told a 4BBB card can be used for handicap purposes, and I am already on the card nine times, then if I can score two points on a hole where my partner is already in the hole for three, or is very likely to be, then I am going to hole out for those two points and make sure it is recorded on the card and entered onto my EG record.

That gives a more accurate HI adjustment than applying 1.5 points to a hole where I can score more.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If I am told a 4BBB card can be used for handicap purposes, and I am already on the card nine times, then if I can score two points on a hole where my partner is already in the hole for three, or is very likely to be, then I am going to hole out for those two points and make sure it is recorded on the card and entered onto my EG record.

That gives a more accurate HI adjustment than applying 1.5 points to a hole where I can score more.
If your partner scores 3 pts then you will be awarded 1.5 pts for handicap purposes no matter what your card says (unless it was also 3pts).

Billysboots

Visit site
Because the higher score is the only one that is accepted. If your partner scores 4 points and you score 3 you get 1.5, if you score 0 you would also get 1.5.

That is something not widely known. I certainly wasn’t aware of it, and I have marked cards for others this year who have been similarly oblivious.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is something not widely known. I certainly wasn’t aware of it, and I have marked cards for others this year who have been similarly oblivious.
We received an email from the comittiee insisting that only one score be recorded on 4bbb cards.

Are they correct doing this ?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played in quite a few 4BBB opens now and when recording scores the scorers are only interested player A score then player B scores .

So you read out just gross scores for A with zero or x for when they're not on the card

Billysboots

Visit site
We received an email from the comittiee insisting that only one score be recorded on 4bbb cards.

If what I read here is accurate, then they’re right doing it but it’s not something I’m desperately comfortable with.

I suppose it’s tough to cater for every eventuality, and I do accept that receiving 1.5 points for a hole where I would have scored nothing is a bonus.

BUT, if I score on a dozen holes, and the six remaining holes see my partner score three points, then if I receive 1.5 points on all of those holes when I could have scored 2 if I’d putted out, that’s a 3 point difference between what is entered on my EG record and what I’ve actually scored.

That doesn’t seem right, although it is a case of swings and roundabouts.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

It's not correct - Rule 23.2b clearly says, "There is no penalty for entering more than one partner's score on the scorecard."
And, it also says, "The Committee is responsible for deciding which score counts for the side on each hole, including applying handicaps in a handicap competition."
What does your committee suggest as the result of not following its inappropriate instruction?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not correct - Rule 23.2b clearly says, "There is no penalty for entering more than one partner's score on the scorecard."
And, it also says, "The Committee is responsible for deciding which score counts for the side on each hole, including applying handicaps in a handicap competition."
What does your committee suggest as the result of not following its inappropriate instruction?
I can’t find the email .
It’s been auto deleted.
I don’t think it was a penalty they were just asking so it was easier to mark the cards from memory.

D-S

Visit site
Although this is from EG “For handicapping, if the score is recorded for both players, it is submitted for both players. However, "Handicap Committees will be justified in disregarding scores for handicapping purposes where scores for both players are recorded on a significant number of holes on a regular basis."
So I assume the committee were just trying to make their lives easier as having to “disregard score for handicapping purposes” if 2 scores are entered “on a significant number of holes is not only difficult to quantify and assess it would be a pain to do so as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If what I read here is accurate, then they’re right doing it but it’s not something I’m desperately comfortable with.

I suppose it’s tough to cater for every eventuality, and I do accept that receiving 1.5 points for a hole where I would have scored nothing is a bonus.

BUT, if I score on a dozen holes, and the six remaining holes see my partner score three points, then if I receive 1.5 points on all of those holes when I could have scored 2 if I’d putted out, that’s a 3 point difference between what is entered on my EG record and what I’ve actually scored.

That doesn’t seem right, although it is a case of swings and roundabouts.
Yes but most golf “ rules” are very strict.
There is very little in grey as they are usually black and white!

But getting 1.5 points when .5 of a point is not a thing in golf I find quite bemusing.

If this is the best they can come up with to stop the pot hunting bandits golf’s in trouble imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although this is from EG “For handicapping, if the score is recorded for both players, it is submitted for both players. However, "Handicap Committees will be justified in disregarding scores for handicapping purposes where scores for both players are recorded on a significant number of holes on a regular basis."
So I assume the committee were just trying to make their lives easier as having to “disregard score for handicapping purposes” if 2 scores are entered “on a significant number of holes is not only difficult to quantify and assess it would be a pain to do so as well.
Yes I think this is what they were pointing out to us.!

wjemather

Visit site
Probably need to take the RoG hat off slightly as it is not the only consideration.

While there is no penalty under the rules of golf for holing out every ball and recording every score in four-ball, standard practice is to pickup once your partner is in the hole and their score cannot be bettered, or when you cannot score. GB&I handicapping guidance reaffirms this standard practice and the club's instruction is entirely consistent with it.

Billysboots

Visit site
Probably because they didn't want players carrying on playing when the best score the team could get has already been achieve

Yes, I’m aware of that.

My point is why would they introduce a system which allows 4BBB cards to be used for handicap purposes and then apply a calculation which prefers an arbitrary score rather than one achieved?

On the one hand we’re told if we play well in a 4BBB we can expect to have our handicaps adjusted, whilst on the other we’re being told there’s no requirement for the system to be accurate.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably need to take the RoG hat off slightly as it is not the only consideration.

While there is no penalty under the rules of golf for holing out every ball and recording every score in four-ball, standard practice is to pickup once your partner is in the hole and their score cannot be bettered, or when you cannot score. GB&I handicapping guidance reaffirms this standard practice and the club's instruction is entirely consistent with it.
Could this be considered a condition of comp set out by the comittiee.
Is it enforceable with sanctions if not complying.?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I’m aware of that.

My point is why would they introduce a system which allows 4BBB cards to be used for handicap purposes and then apply a calculation which prefers an arbitrary score rather than one achieved?

On the one hand we’re told if we play well in a 4BBB we can expect to have our handicaps adjusted, whilst on the other we’re being told there’s no requirement for the system to be accurate.
Yes strange that a two inch tap in for 2 pts unduly delays play so you have to settle for 1.5 because your pp has a net par.

It’s fundamentally wrong for someone else’s score to affect your handicap imo.

wjemather

Visit site
Could this be considered a condition of comp set out by the comittiee.
Is it enforceable with sanctions if not complying.?
They'd have difficulty applying any rule of golf to enforce the recording of one score per hole but clubs are free to have their own rules (and sanctions) outside the rules of golf.
For example, it's not uncommon for clubs to impose sanctions, such as suspension from future club comp(s), for persistent missing details on scorecards or failure to input scores onto the system, neither of which carry a penalty under the RoG.

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We had a “waltz” on Sunday

Everyone plays every holes and putts out on every hole

Some players went round in way over 40 points as a single

So should their scores be counted in the same way 4bbb does