Score in 4bbb used for handicap?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If you’re referring to pairs rather than a 4-ball (you mention 4bbb but also a pair), then if any pair scores 42+ and one of the pair scores on nine or more holes, then my understanding is that the system should now pick that up.

D-S

Visit site
How are the new 4bbb changes applied?

One of our mates pairings had 42 points in a comp this morning. He would have had 40 on his own ball.

Does the system pick that up, or does the "committee" (oh how we laughed) pick this up manually?
1713630521598.png

D-S

Visit site

One of our mates pairings had 42 points in a comp this morning. He would have had 40 on his own ball.

Does the system pick that up, or does the "committee" (oh how we laughed) pick this up manually?
1713630550402.png

D-S

Visit site

The only scores that will be acceptable for handicap (and therefore will appear on a players counting record) will be if all 3 of these criteria are met, firstly the team score must be at least 42 points or 6 under net par or better, the player must have at least 9 counting scores on the card and the players scaled up score must be 36 points or more.

In brief, if a player doesn’t score on a hole (or their partner’s score is better) then, if the partner scores 2 or more points, they are given 1.5 points, if the partner gets one point they get 1 point, if 0 then 0. Then, as they played off 85% playing handicap (the allowance for 4BB strokeplay), their resulting score is divided by 0.85 to get it back to a 100% course handicap.

wjemather

Visit site
My understanding is that...
The competition software sends the pair's Stableford scores for each hole to WHS, flagged with which player had the counting score on each hole. WHS then does the rest.

However...

There are currently unspecified technical issues. The various software providers have been instructed to implement the solution asap.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you’re referring to pairs rather than a 4-ball (you mention 4bbb but also a pair), then if any pair scores 42+ and one of the pair scores on nine or more holes, then my understanding is that the system should now pick that up.
"Pairs" or fourball? I think you are talking about the same format. A four ball is a game for a side of two players each of whom play their own ball, the better score at each being the one to count. See Rule 23

Billysboots

Visit site
"Pairs" or fourball? I think you are talking about the same format. A four ball is a game for a side of two players each of whom play their own ball, the better score at each being the one to count. See Rule 23

Thank you, I’m well aware of that. I was trying to ensure a very clear distinction between a pairs and 4-ball ie. team event.

Billysboots

Visit site
Four-ball is the terminology used by England Golf for the issue being discussed.

Does it really matter? Really?

As stated, I was merely seeking to draw a very clear distinction between pairs and a four person team event.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you, I’m well aware of that. I was trying to ensure a very clear distinction between a pairs and 4-ball ie. team event.
Sorry, I'm not understanding you.

A fourball team event is where you have a set number of sides of two players, each contributing its better ball score towards a team total or, in matchplay, each contributing a matchwon, lost or halved to determine which team won.

I think you are misunderstanding what fourball is as defined in Rule 23 which can be read here. Misleadingly, it is often referred to as a "team" game.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
Sorry, I'm not understanding you.

A fourball team event is where you have a set number of sides of two players, each contributing its better ball score towards a team total or, in matchplay, each contributing a matchwon, lost or halved to determine which team won.

I think you are misunderstanding what fourball is as defined in Rule 23 which I described above and referenced.

See post #13.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
See post #13.
I already read it and still don't see the relevance to the current discussion. An example of a four person team event would be a number of sides of 4 players engaged in a Texas Scramble, the scores of each side being aggregated into a team total. Perhaps if you explained what you mean by pairs, it would be clearer as I've always taken pairs to be synonymous with fourball.