Saturday Season Opener - Cancelled!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Madness, the government haven't felt the need to ban large gatherings on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer yet a golf club does it off its own back, based on nothing but media scaremongering.

Anything over 500 is banned in Scotland. Mainly for best effective use of emergency services.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
I, like many, have a level of concern over CV. However, I dont think shutting golf clubs would make much difference at this stage. Yes, there are many members over 60 and I think it would be advisable for them to not play if they beleive they are at risk (underlying health issues e.g.).

Simple things like not shaking hands, leaving the flag in, washing hands before and after the round and even the pro shop only accepting card or contactless payments to limit any transfer on money are sensible.
If the time comes and we are advised by much more knowledgable people than us to not play then i'm sure we will all accept the advice and act accordingly.

Yes, cv is serious but panic just breeds more panic. We all need to be sensible .

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The club have every right to make this decision, I am just questioning what it is based on? We have to assume that the Chief Medical Officer has access to the most up to date scientific findings on the outbreak and has issued the advice based on this. What information does a golf club committee have?

One that safeguards their staff.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I cannot understand cancelling an ordinary medal when as said players will just turn up and play as usual and in either circumstance will lead to a flow of people rather than a large gathering.

On the other hand we have an upcoming shotgun start comp (VE day) which will lead to a gathering of 120+ in a small space. I have already been giving that one a lot of thought and will probably change it to something else or cancel the comp.

I have already stated that is exactly what ours is. With a sit down meal afterwards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't see the point of cancelling a competition, won't most people just turn up at the course and play a round anyway?
Does the handicap sec sorting all the cards have the appropriate PPE .
I would not fancy handling 300+ cards that could be contaminated.
Plus the screen on the computer.
Leave the course open for social golf and asses yourself the risk.
So high risk stay away.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So high risk stay away.

That's a fair point re cards, I didn't think of that.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At the moment our season opener for the 4th April is still on but who knows over the next two weeks. The other question, of course, is what happens with all the club opens? All these will also be under threat as well if this logic is followed.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
At the moment our season opener for the 4th April is still on but who knows over the next two weeks. The other question, of course, is what happens with all the club opens? All these will also be under threat as well if this logic is followed.

Worrying time for a lot of clubs already on the edge.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So high risk stay away.

Good point regarding the handicap secretary and the cards. I would suggest some gloves and washing hands before and after and using alcohol hand gel during the process is about as much protection as they would be able to take. Depends on whether they are prepared to take the risk. Again if you are entering scores on the PSI screen I would go straight to the gents to wash my hands thoroughly and then apply hand sanitiser before ordering any drinks

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Mad decision IMO, could quite easily run the comp and just cancel the meal and shut the bar, whatever but to cancel the competition is just nuts. Everyone is aware of the risks, if your immune system is compromised probably best to avoid contact with strangers but for ordinary fit healthy people it's really not all that bad. Cancelling club medal competitions will make zero difference in the grand scheme of things. Our club has just went to contact less payment only for the time being which seems relatively sensible but if they start cancelling competitions I will be telling them that either they reduce my fees or I wont be paying them

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Mad decision IMO, could quite easily run the comp and just cancel the meal and shut the bar, whatever but to cancel the competition is just nuts. Everyone is aware of the risks, if your immune system is compromised probably best to avoid contact with strangers but for ordinary fit healthy people it's really not all that bad. Cancelling club medal competitions will make zero difference in the grand scheme of things. Our club has just went to contact less payment only for the time being which seems relatively sensible but if they start cancelling competitions I will be telling them that either they reduce my fees or I wont be paying them

You'll be looking for a new club very quickly then when you dictate what your paying.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You'll be looking for a new club very quickly then when you dictate what your paying.
Dont think so, I pay my fees on the basis that they provide the services that dictate what the fees are. If they fail to provide an adequate product then I'm afraid I'm well within my rights

User20204

Visit site
Do you think they could justifiably charge for services that they did not provide ? If they dont provide the opportunity of what they advertise in the handbook etc then they cannot charge what they usually charge

Do you state that when the course is closed due to weather ?