New custom fit clubs aren't working for me, what is the best way forward

kdhowla

Visit site
Hi,

I decided late last year to get back into golf and sign up at my local club to get back into the swing of things. I used to be a half-decent standard club player and got down to 8.4 around 5-6 years ago, and I used to use Titeliest T100 forged blades. I decided in my wisdom to invest and get custom fitted for new clubs so I can start off in the new season in the best possible way (any excuse for splurge purchase).

I got fitted for new Taylor Made Stealth woods at a local American Golf and they are working a dream, best driver I have ever hit. However, I then decided to replace my Titleist T100 irons and tried various irons at the fitting centre. The stats showed that the Ping i525 irons suited me best and the and the order was placed and I couldnt wait for the clubs to come. After wating 4 months for delivery, my customer set arrived and looked the business 3-PW Stiff with Blue dot setting.

I took the clubs for my first round and have a totaly different shot shape, I normally play slight left to right fade, but these new clubs I have massive draw. I thought that is was new clubs and it will take time but I have now completed over 12 rounds and the draw is close to unplayable. I checked the spec of my old Titleist T100's and they are stiff with standard lie, could I have been fitted wrong or do I need to get a lesson or two? If play with the club face open it helps reduce the draw and I tried a standard loft club from a firend and that went arrow straight. I sadly sold my T100's to help cover the significant cost of the new Ping's.

I am going back to the pro shop that fitted me for the Ping's to see if its me or the clubs, if its the clubs what can be done, can the lie be adjusted, what warrany do you get from Ping if something is amiss with the fitting?

Cheers,

Kev

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Kev welcome to the forum, I’ve not heard of an issue like this before but agree you should visit the fitter.
I am sure they would not want any negative feedback but would welcome the opportunity to see if it is the clubs or not.
If it is the clubs it’s more likely to be an issue with the shafts.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Blue dot are 1° up and will be pointing a little left if you are indeed standard the ball would go more left in the pings I'm sure,

kdhowla

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I am conscious that the main problem is likely the thing on the end of the sticks (me), but I don't want to chop and change my swing if a different lie works for me. I've just spoken to the fitter and he has offered me to come back to the shop he will check the lie and make sure that nothing is amiss, he did say 1 degree upright should not cause that much of an issue but if needed we can send them back to Ping to be adjusted. I also have a lesson booked with the pro when he gets back from his holiday to see what I can do. I'll keep you posted on the outcome and thanks for the replies :)

Cheers,

Kev

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have personally found Ping irons to be quite upright as standard to help combat hitting to the right. So if you have blue dot that could be your problem.

Also, have you had the lies checked to make sure they are as they should be?

kdhowla

Visit site
I have personally found Ping irons to be quite upright as standard to help combat hitting to the right. So if you have blue dot that could be your problem.

Also, have you had the lies checked to make sure they are as they should be?

I have a lie check booked this week, just need time to get away from work.

Jason.H

Visit site
If the heel touches the turf 1st it will close the face. Tape the bottom and hit a couple of balls off a board to show. Ideally centre club.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you sure your old T100 were standard ?
Did you buy them new ,they might have been tweaked.
What’s the offset on the 525s it could be more than the T100 this can cause a closing of the face.
Sometimes in a fitting your warmed up hitting lots of shots.
So fit is to this repeatable swing .
But we don’t have the same swing the next day.
I am sure your fitter will put it right.

Skytot

Visit site
My mate got fitted in February for G425 , he just can’t get on with them and keeps using his old Cobras. We’ve told him to cut his losses and sell them while they are still worth a few quid . He wants to persevere but in the mean time he’s not enjoying his golf .

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lie angle test will show if they are setup correctly for you. If they are then you need to change your swing path.

kdhowla

Visit site
Hi, a brief update, I got the lie checked at the fitter with the tape and I hit the centre and sometimes a little off-centre on the toe of the club. The fitter suggested anything I need more upright clubs but suggested a lesson as it looks like a me issue rather than the clubs. I had a lesson yesterday afternoon and after 20 minutes the irons are going arrow straight! 3 core issues, I am 6ft1 and was crouching too low and swinging the club as if I was 5ft 7. The second issue was my aim was offset to the right to compensate for the draw/hook and my backswing was too long and too wristy. I hit another 50 balls and the draw is gone, did a few holes at the club last night and I am hitting the greens and my irons straight :) I am off to the range tonight to keep the momentum going. Got to say a special thanks to the fitter and the pro. I'm not sure if you can name them so I will hold back for now as I don't want to break any rules for advertising etc. Hopefully, that is me on the road to golf recovery and the pro has said to come back in 4-6 weeks after I have practised what he suggested. Appreciate all of your responses and suggestions :)