Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Given the importance of the top game and him getting a half, this surely was just of monster importance. What a shot.

Indeed, that shot was just crazy. The club head speed they can get through the ball in rough is crazy enough, but to do that on the side of a bank and a bridge in front doesn't even seem possible.

They need to put a marker with Rahms name on it on that spot, so when anybody ever plays the course, they can see the spot he made the green from.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Indeed, that shot was just crazy. The club head speed they can get through the ball in rough is crazy enough, but to do that on the side of a bank and a bridge in front doesn't even seem possible.

They need to put a marker with Rahms name on it on that spot, so when anybody ever plays the course, they can see the spot he made the green from.
If I’d have tried that I would be laid out cold in the ditch having been knocked out by the ball ricocheting off the bridge into my head.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah that shot by Rahm was unbelievable, in the true sense of the word. Can't be just me watching him line it up who thought the absolute best case scenario was it flopping 100 yards back onto the fairway. I didn't even think he was going for the green.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently in rome for my wife’s 40th. Got here Sunday around 12, checked in, got something to eat and then headed straight to a cluster of Irish bars, all packed! Managed to find a seat in the 3rd one, mainly Irish and British with a few Americans dotted around.

The closest thing I can compare it to is england in a World Cup penalty shootout for 6 hours (only we won 😉). Every shot cheered by either side, loads of oohs and ahhs, the tension was huge. When morikawa had his last putt to extend the match you could’ve heard a pin drop, followed by a big cheer when he missed. To be fair we did clap the good US shots, it was pretty friendly.

Of course I would’ve preferred to have been a few miles up the road watching it, but this was a decent second best.

As for those complaining about the crowd booing and jeering the US players, I have a feeling that it will be given back, and some, at Beth page!

Get in Europe!

i*windows

Visit site
This was the first Ryder Cup I've been to and I was peed off at the cost of the ticket, but once you are there you really appreciate the scale of the thing and how much it must have cost to organise. I've never been to a better run tournament, or any event as good as this, the transport was brilliant, food great, the number of viewing points with huge screens so you never missed the action was so good. The course offered wonderful vantage points to see a lot of golf, it would have been very hard to watch much golf on a flat course. The condition of the course was unlike any I've seen before, walking across the 15th, the fairway looked like AstroTurf and better than most of the greens I've played on this year. The quality of most of the golf was unbelievable, these guys are just so much better than us it amazing to watch up close. Would highly recommend any golf fan to try and get to at least one RC :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, I dont frequent to many high class courses, but the standard of the fairways was breathtakingly good. I had never seen the likes.

European Tour/MarcoSimone/Rome, does seem to have done a great job all round.

Listened to the NLU guys last night who dont hold back if they have criticisms, but they were saying Marco Simone was so good, ET should just book it immediately again for a future Ryder Cup.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Already sick of the talk from “New Yorkers” about how hostile they’re going to make it at Bethpage

That’s not what it’s about… They just don’t get it 🤦‍♂️
Only watched it on TV, but the home crowd seemed extremely vocally partisan. If we're ok with home crowds cheering a missed US putt or fishfood and taunting the players then we have to accept that's just how the Ryder Cup is now.
I suspect most of the antagonistic stuff is predictably amplified by the media and the vast majority of American golf fans want to see golfing excellence as much as a win, much like most of us surely did.

D

Deleted member 1147

Only watched it on TV, but the home crowd seemed extremely vocally partisan. If we're ok with home crowds cheering a missed US putt or fishfood and taunting the players then we have to accept that's just how the Ryder Cup is now.
I suspect most of the antagonistic stuff is predictably amplified by the media and the vast majority of American golf fans want to see golfing excellence as much as a win, much like most of us surely did.
New Yorkers are renowned for being idiots. In the Fedex playoffs a few years back they were even giving there own players, especially Reed, a huge amount of stick.
I suspect they just can't handle their light beer.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There's always a lot of background noise and an inquest required for the losing team, but I'm not sure how deep it has to be given that being at 'home' brings a huge advantage to the teams. There was a 20 to 30 minute period yesterday where there was a very real possibility USA could get to the 14 points; Lowry was in trouble, Fleetwood and MacIntyre were having a wobble with a potential momentum swing but after Fowler's mistake everything closed out very quickly. Some random thoughts:
  • Hovland is a rock star.
  • Donald's Friday morning pairings were superbly conceived and considered; The heavyweight pairing of Lowry & Straka weren't as effective on Saturday morning, but Rahm & Hatton (angry & fiery), Hovland & Aberg (the faces of European Golf going forward) and McIlroy & Fleetwood (great golf and personality mix) are surely pairings that could be repeated in 2 years time.
  • Justin Rose - great pick; I was dubious but his experience and competitiveness shone through, helped Bob alot and taking out the reliable pairing of Spieth & Thomas on Saturday was excellent; made Cantlay work hard on Sunday. Another tick for Donald
  • The 16th hole was the star of the show.
  • ZJs wildcard picks come into question as the losing captain, but overall performed reasonably well; of the 7 players who scored 1 point or less (Fowler had 0), 4 were picks but it's worth pointing out, with the exception of Homa, all the other players had 2 points or less. The 'official' world no. 1 was poor as well
  • The hat thing and arguments over money (allegedly); it's not like the USWNT or Lioness's bonuses - these guys are well paid and sponsored and exposes their greed. They are no different to others who have been derided for following the cash. This should be an honour, not an opportunity.
  • 9 & 7.... ouch.
  • Planning to get married the day after the Ryder Cup, not joining the forward party and limiting your time with the team says all you need to know about how together that team is.
  • McIlroy's chip on 17 on Saturday afternoon was sensational. There were a few super shots, but that put pressure on the USA putt and to give credit, it was holed under pressure.
  • Fitzy. With everything that went on at the 18th on Saturday afternoon and the car park after, it's easy to forget just how bad Fitzpatrick was. He carried McIlroy for the first 6 holes on Friday, for sure, but McIlroy had to be frustrated by his partners lack of contribution to the back 9 on Saturday, managing to half 2 of them. For the talent he has, his Ryder Cup record is very poor - can't play foursomes so his availability, despite being one of the highest ranked players, is already diminished by 40%. Some of his shots on Sunday were also well below his expected level of play.
  • Hat waving Joe assisted with the point for sure, but gave the Europeans a galvanizing boost. McIlroy may not be every fans cup of tea, but he top scored, cared, and by all accounts took good care of the rookies
  • 'Rookies' - this time round, think it means something different to USA and EUR. Harman and Clark were Major Winners; Homa and Burns have multiple PGAT wins in need of little advice or direction from anyone, making a team of individuals. MacIntyre, Straka, Hojgaard and Aberg couldn't be more different, proper 'rookies' in my opinion and Team Europe treated them exceptionally. I'm not sure if MacIntyre and Straka have the longevity to be stalwarts, but Hojgaard has and Aberg will be a superstar.
  • Scheffler - felt a bit sorry for him, but has there ever been a World no. 1 that has not been treated like the superstar he is? The man is a superb golfer but Koepka (and the rest) don't treat him like he's anything special. On the flip side, Hovland, Rahm and McIlroy are treated like golf royalty by their peers. Baffling.
  • If Lowry doesn't make the next team, make him a vice captain. Dressing rooms need a man like this.
  • Fleetwood - special man, special moment. I remain to be convinced he's in the Major winning category, but would love to see him grow in confidence from this.
  • There's a very good chance USA win in New York, but I also think Europe will have a stronger team than at Whistling Straits and Rome with a bigger pool to potentially select from.
  • Those celebrations. Well deserved, but don't think I'd recover for a month!

D

Deleted member 1147

• Fitzy. With everything that went on at the 18th on Saturday afternoon and the car park after, it's easy to forget just how bad Fitzpatrick was. He carried McIlroy for the first 6 holes on Friday, for sure, but McIlroy had to be frustrated by his partners lack of contribution to the back 9 on Saturday, managing to half 2 of them. For the talent he has, his Ryder Cup record is very poor - can't play foursomes so his availability, despite being one of the highest ranked players, is already diminished by 40%. Some of his shots on Sunday were also well below his expected level of play
To be fair he was partnered with Westwood twice in the foursomes last time out, and he was rank. It's not necessarily his fault that Westwood can't putt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Ryder Cup is unique. In all honesty booing a player or cheering a missed putt is pretty tame - it's pantomime stuff. It's all in the spirit of fun and I think that's what the Ryder Cup is all about. I don't know why people complain about it. I think it's the only competition in golf where that kind of crowd participation actually adds to it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Being on the outside its no surprise the ‘money thing’ is a bit of an unknown to us
I read that it isn’t (or isn’t solely) about getting part of the pot for wining but players were expected to appear in an additional Netflix show with no appearance money (so the US team voted to not give Netflix access)

If accurate then for me that throws another slant on things and maybe we shouldn’t throw around comments about money grabbing rich players. Netflix isn’t the ryder cup or the obligatory in-house media appearances. It’s a commercial show, so why shouldn’t the 'stars of the show' get a piece of that pie?

Seems a reasonable request but maybe the PGA of A didn't plan to share

i*windows

Visit site
I followed Fitz for a few holes and I don't think he likes all the noise and crowds and stuff that is going on, I know he likes to play quickly but I think you need to take an extra breath before you swing. He just hit some pretty poor shots and didn't play like someone who as won the US open.

D

Deleted member 1147

I followed Fitz for a few holes and I don't think he likes all the noise and crowds and stuff that is going on, I know he likes to play quickly but I think you need to take an extra breath before you swing. He just hit some pretty poor shots and didn't play like someone who as won the US open.
...and Scheffler didn't ply like a Masters winner or world no1. Could just have been a bad week.

Also, what does the extra breath do to help a fast player, other than put them off their usual rhythm?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Ryder Cup is unique. In all honesty booing a player or cheering a missed putt is pretty tame - it's pantomime stuff. It's all in the spirit of fun and I think that's what the Ryder Cup is all about. I don't know why people complain about it. I think it's the only competition in golf where that kind of crowd participation actually adds to it.
I only watched the highlights, but I thought the crowd was better than I expected.
There seemed to be a suitable period of silence for each shot (for both teams), and the singing was good nature and almost funny.
Get in the hole screamed by some loser who wants to be able to say to his mates "that was me" remains as annoying at the RC as it is every week for normal events.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fitzpatrick was absolutely on fire on Friday afternoon though - essentially had them 5up after 6 holes all on his own, match done and dusted. Didn't do much on Saturday, but then on Sunday he's unlucky enough to be drawn against the guy who was USA's best player by far - and very nearly got the half. Seems weird to be talking about him like he was a weak player for us?? :unsure: