Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine there's a few Europeans happy that Reed isn't there - he's clearly got the ability to needle players - one in particular.

Regardless of the outcome of the event, we already know this years event will be haunted by the team members excluded due to LIV - whether it ends up being used as an excuse for one team or the other's defeat, we'll have to wait and see.....
Which players have been excluded 'due to LIV'?? Koepka is there, and none of the others were good enough for their teams. Bryson was a 50-50 and I'd have had him in, but it's not a glaring omission either.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Which players have been excluded 'due to LIV'?? Koepka is there, and none of the others were good enough for their teams. Bryson was a 50-50 and I'd have had him in, but it's not a glaring omission either.

I was careful to say Team Members, we’ve all watched the RC long enough to know success isn’t just hanging on the guys hitting the ball around.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was careful to say Team Members, we’ve all watched the RC long enough to know success isn’t just hanging on the guys hitting the ball around.
Sorry but I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to the competition if Westy or Poults isn't a vice captain or whatever you're alluding to. I'll concede it was a bit of a shame that Stenson lost his captain position only for it to all blow over later on, but again, that is not going to affect anybody's enjoyment of the competition at all.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can we keep the discussion in this thread about the RC and not keep bringing the LiV players into it. They aren’t there, clearly no one other than Rahm wanted them there and it was their decision not to be there.
It is what it is and no amount of crying about it will change that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think too much is made of team spirit. Europe had it, through from the Seve days, where there was a team bond of we'll show 'em, and a shared delight in spanking yanks who didnt consider the RC a contest. But that isnt why they won. They won because they had world class golfers for the first time, of a level to match the colonies. Seve, Langer, Lyle, Monty, Faldo, etc, etc.
They didnt win because they were buddies.
The US team didnt have that sense of unity and esprit de corps, and identified that as a missing element that accounted, at least partly, for their perceived underperformance.
Sure, cannot have guys on a team who dont want to be in the same room as each other. But I think they have over rated it as a significant factor. Golf is not like football, rugby, etc, or true team games where the whole relys on the individuals playing as a unit. Only one man is swinging the club.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry but I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to the competition if Westy or Poults isn't a vice captain or whatever you're alluding to. I'll concede it was a bit of a shame that Stenson lost his captain position only for it to all blow over later on, but again, that is not going to affect anybody's enjoyment of the competition at all.

We’ll see I guess.
I’m not sure the Europeans have enough grit between them, and Donald seems a bit flakey to me, personally feel the captains room could have been a lot stronger given the inexperience on the playing side. Mcilroy and Rahm will need to lead from the front on the course and stand up to the best US players, hopefully they can and do.
No doubt the USA team could have brought more firepower than they have, and similarly - ZJ doesn’t seem like an imposing captain. The Americans self imposed weaknesses are perhaps the Europeans greatest strength.

Mockba

Visit site
Does anyone know if there’ll be FM radio on course with live commentary?

There’ll be commentary on the app but it’s reliant on signal plus it’s at least a minute behind..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well..Macintyre's decision to play in France to be sharp for next week hasn't quite worked out..currently missing the cut by 6 shots..
Watched him yesterday and he doesn't fill me with much confidence

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
McIntyre is really the 12 man. He might be the only one to be singles only. If he plays a pairs, it will be inclusion at the expense of really the best for the team. It still game on though. In the singles, put him out first as a sort of sacrificial lamb, any point or half a bonus.

MACM85

Visit site
McIntyre is really the 12 man. He might be the only one to be singles only. If he plays a pairs, it will be inclusion at the expense of really the best for the team. It still game on though. In the singles, put him out first as a sort of sacrificial lamb, any point or half a bonus.

Isn't there a rule where an individual has to have played at least once/twice before the singles?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn't there a rule where an individual has to have played at least once/twice before the singles?
Don't know if it's a rule but I just looked back through quite a few years and didn't find anyone who only played singles. In 2018 Mickelson and Olesen each only played 2 matches total, as did 3 Europeans in 2016, that was the joint lowest.

MACM85

Visit site
Don't know if it's a rule but I just looked back through quite a few years and didn't find anyone who only played singles. In 2018 Mickelson and Olesen each only played 2 matches total, as did 3 Europeans in 2016, that was the joint lowest.
I know the Solheim there is a rule that everyone has to play at least once. Perhaps it isn't applied to the Ryder Cup

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
1999, when three didnt play until the singles. Coltart, Van De Velde, and not sure.

Three is a bit extreme, and was probably justified that year. This year, Aberg and Straka will surely play. The other two, possibly. But if Europe doing well, and players fresh, it might be more prudent to leave matters in the hands of 10. Bob the most likely to be last man used if at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1999, when three didnt play until the singles. Coltart, Van De Velde, and not sure.

Three is a bit extreme, and was probably justified that year. This year, Aberg and Straka will surely play. The other two, possibly. But is Europe doing well, and players fresh, it might be more prudent to leave matters in the hands of 10.
Sandelin was the other. All three got spanked in their singles match so it didn't prove to be the best strategy.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Sandelin was the other. All three got spanked in their singles match so it didn't prove to be the best strategy.
Or maybe it did, we will never know. They might well have been spanked in any other matches had they been rostered too.
Its hard to leave people out on a personal and team level, but I respect a brave captain who does so. The key to Ryder Cup is form.