Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Play for the love of it or not at all for me. I very much doubt any of them are out of pocket for the week.

Exactly, I bet every expense for flying their families and putting them in hotels was met, they wouldn’t have to pay a penny. Surely most are happy just to represent their country for pride. No need to get paid for everything.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Exactly, I bet every expense for flying their families and putting them in hotels was met, they wouldn’t have to pay a penny. Surely most are happy just to represent their country for pride. No need to get paid for everything.
That’s exactly it. Caddies get a nominal fee too. But as with players, all expenses met.

4LEX

Visit site
Really chuffed with how we held it together today, some big performances and Luke was right to top load. Rahm, Rory and Hovland what a showing. I'm surprised they can walk with the minerals they've got!

I can't give Luke enough credit though, he's been one of my golfing heros from when I took up the game in 2011. To reach world number one being such a short hitter doesn't get the respect it deserved at the time. He took on this role in unfortunate circumstances after Stenson was kicked out, yet he's showed a lot of courage and class that led to todays victory. He would have my vote to remain as the next one in New York will go off big time. It's going to be too much for a rookie IMO.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Apparently the revenues from the Ryder Cup are around 500 million dollars (see posts on the price of drinks), all the people organising etc. are being paid - is there a reason why players aren’t getting even a very small slice? Unless of course everyone does it for free and all the 500 milllion dollars goes to charity.
I don't really know, I would guess the easy answer is tradition, but in this day and age where everything seems to revolve around getting even more money, it is refreshing that these professionals put everything on the line for pride.

The other answer that has been suggested is that while The PGA of America are financially stable, the DPWT rely on the proceeds of this event to keep their collective heads above water. Who knows.

I'll stick with my original premise though. The players choose whether or not to play in an event every other week, they are quite entitled to choose to skip the Ryder Cup if they so wish.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Any payment would sully the Ryder Cup. If you can't see that, you don't really understand golf.

Would it really?

Can you explain your logic, when the event is generating half a billion dollars - a third of the PGA Tours annual revenue - in just one weekend..

How would paying the players a nominal fee for taking part damage the reputation of the event?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I know, what's the validifcation for not offering them some remuneration for their services?
That for some people the - ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country - spirit exists, and representing your family, country, and continent is sufficient in itself, and for 1 week in 104, very rich men are desperately willing to engage with and be part of such an event, and not count the greenbacks.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Would it really?

Can you explain your logic, when the event is generating half a billion dollars - a third of the PGA Tours annual revenue - in just one weekend..

How would paying the players a nominal fee for taking part damage the reputation of the event?
It was a really good thread for three days and more, but it appears to have been a bit too nice on here for you, not enough needle.

Well you win, I'm out.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It was a really good thread for three days and more, but it appears to have been a bit too nice on here for you, not enough needle.

Well you win, I'm out.

Get a grip, I'm delighted the Europeans have won, and in spectacular style - but please note - I didn't even raise the issue of players getting paid to be there, I just commented on another post.

There's an ignore facility on the forum if you want to block out my views buddy - by all means, I wont be offended.. ;-)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I wouldnt make much of this win being a big margin for Europe. The reality it that it was won by a tiny fraction. It was spectacular, as in dramatic, but not spectacular as in comprehensive or overwhelming of them.

RC scores have a very steep rate of change due to the swinging of each half point one way or the other. A 5 point gap, is only a three match swing. And each match can swing on a hole. As we saw, while this one resolved quickly and decisively at the very end, it was a noted earlier, very much squeeky bum time only 20 minutes earlier. It was on a knife edge, and a half point win for Eu, which it so easily could have been, would be a better, on the face of it, indicator of how tight the contest really was at the end. Even with a 5 point lead.

While room for confidence for Bethpage, there is no room for complacency here - the 5 point lead was needed in these singles. Had it been only 2 or 3, its hard to see Eu having help on for the win.

Swango1980

Visit site
Would it really?

Sometimes golf is just better when the players are playing for something other that money. Possibly why amateurs aren't supposed to play for cash.

If you are one of the 12 that make the USA or European team, you probably already earn, or have earned millions. I'm sure they also get a boost to their endorsements. So, they don't even need the money.

None of these guys are picking up a cheque for playing in the Ryder Cup, and when they win they are calling it the greatest moment of their lives.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
We see more tears from grown men, emotional winners or crushed losers equally, at the Ryder Cup, than any mutli million dollar pay tournament, even majors.
That shows you the store players, essentially grown men just playing a game, put in this Cup.

4LEX

Visit site
Would it really?

I think your whole mindset is warped by the money wrapped around LIV Golf.

What's a 'nominal' fee anyway? These are 24 golfers whose total net worth probably top a few billion. Do you really think it would be a better event if they were getting a million quid each?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Would it really?

What actually is the point for paying a nominal amount. I think it's a bit shallow but each to their own I suppose