Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Hit and miss.
9th in the PGA, 12th at Colonial, 8th in Canada, 4th at the British Masters, 20th in Memphis (dead last after R1); missed the cut in the US Open, the Scottish, and The Open.
Doesn’t look good for Europe when Justin Rose is being mentioned imo.

wjemather

Visit site
The current top 9 on the world list (Rahm, McIlroy, Hovland, Hatton, Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick, Straka, Lowry, Rose) are dead certs to be selected; and MacIntyre (10, and currently in the last automatic spot on the European list) isn't far behind. After them, Meronk (11) has to be favourite to get a pick as the highest ranked of the rest (on owgr too) and winner of the Italian Open. Number 12 is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is Rose seriously in contention?
Rose already has his monogrammed shirts done.
There are two places uo for grabs. Straka and McIntyre have secured two of the 4 minor members. The two remaining will be from Meronk, Paul, Power, Perez, Hojgaard, Aberg, Noren. Harrington as a wild card is no more with the few poor showings on real tour during July.
Whichever two are picked really doesnt matter too much. Much of a muchness between them, and no analytics will predict which might or not be better options. Diplomatically Id guess Luke will gor for one World rankings pick, and one ET pick.

AussieKB

Visit site
Rose already has his monogrammed shirts done.
There are two places uo for grabs. Straka and McIntyre have secured two of the 4 minor members. The two remaining will be from Meronk, Paul, Power, Perez, Hojgaard, Aberg, Noren. Harrington as a wild card is no more with the few poor showings on real tour during July.
Whichever two are picked really doesnt matter too much. Much of a muchness between them, and no analytics will predict which might or not be better options. Diplomatically Id guess Luke will gor for one World rankings pick, and one ET pick.
Luke could keep Rahm happy and pick Sergio 1692187775066.gif

CountLippe

Visit site
Essentially you want players in form. I'd rather have a red hot European Tour rookie than an out of form Ryder Cup hero. Last time out this was the major problem, too many playing poor golf in the season and/or weeks leading up to the Ryder Cup.

I'm more optimistic at the moment as there are players in form. Straka is a good pick, PGA Tour winner, can blow hot and cold but I'd like him in a fourball as he makes birdies. Rose playing well.
It was a perfect storm for the US last time, Euro players out of form, US in unprecedented good form, ideal course and no away fans. I'd be surprised if it isn't close this time.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Not long to go now....
Zack picks his team on Tuesday, will be interesting to see who he picks as he has a lot of talent at his disposal.
Probably the biggest difference is the strength in depth the USA have compared to the Europeans.
Fair to say we know our first 7 - Rory, Jon, Viktor, Matt, Shane, Tyrell and Tommy.
My 5 picks would be Bob, Justin, Thomas, Nicolai and Sepp.
I'm not sure Luke will pick Thomas Pieters though because of the LIV situation.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not long to go now....
Zack picks his team on Tuesday, will be interesting to see who he picks as he has a lot of talent at his disposal.
Probably the biggest difference is the strength in depth the USA have compared to the Europeans.
Fair to say we know our first 7 - Rory, Jon, Viktor, Matt, Shane, Tyrell and Tommy.
My 5 picks would be Bob, Justin, Thomas, Nicolai and Sepp.
I'm not sure Luke will pick Thomas Pieters though because of the LIV situation.

Europe need home advantage to count - the US team are going to be strong through the field - they will have players lacking Ryder Cup experience - who are playing well, and a few players who aren't in their best form but do have multiple RC's in their locker.

We have to remember this is a matchplay event where the players are under a whole new world of pressure - the European Team have plenty of experienced players in there, but out of your 5 picks there Brian, I'd have Garcia replacing one of them.

Looks like Brooks' better half is suggesting he's gonna be in the US team as well...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

European

Rory
Rahm
Hovland
Hatton
Fitzpatrick
Fleetwood
Lowry
Strakka
Rose
MacIntrye
Paul
Meronk/Perez or Hojgaard

USA

Scheffler
Clark
Harmon
Homa
Schuaffle
Cantlay
Koepka
Spieth
Morikawa
Bradley
Thomas
Finau or Fowler or Young

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really don’t think there’s that much between the teams. US are probably slight favourites but not by as much as they were 2 years ago. We’ve got rid of the has-beens this time round, hopefully replaced by hungry younger players.

Win or lose it’s shaping up to be a great RC!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
US team confirmed:

-Sheffler
-Wyndham
-Harman
-Xander
-Cantlay
-Homa
-Koepka
-Morikawa
-JT
-Spieth
-Fowler
-Burns

Pretty much as predicted I think, whoever he’d have picked there would be people sayings others should’ve been picked! A strong team for sure, excited to see who we’re putting up against them!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Big call (although widely predicted) going with Thomas. Likely to be that extra pressure on him to justify. Although he will have some time off to practice

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
JT in is a big plus for Team Europe. Captain Luke probably delighted this evening. USA had him locked in a long time ago, but probably regretting doing so now, with Europe in unexpected form.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Still an excellent USA team, but you can’t help but think it’s not their strongest side.
Do we think Zach would have picked Harman & Clark if they didn’t automatically qualify, which almost sounds daft as they are Major winners.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The same arguments for JT's inclusion can, or could have been made for the inclusion of Poulter and Garcia in past events, and had Garcia been eligible - potentially a captains pick this year. These guys have a proven track record in the competition.
There are some quality players from the US that have been completely overlooked because of where they play golf - and that might well play into the European teams favour - I'm with Brian above - I don't think they've picked the strongest team they perhaps could have.

CountLippe

Visit site
Still an excellent USA team, but you can’t help but think it’s not their strongest side.
Do we think Zach would have picked Harman & Clark if they didn’t automatically qualify, which almost sounds daft as they are Major winners.
Interesting question, however they are ranked 9 and 10 in the world and have done more than just win Majors. I suppose you'd need to look at who's missed out. The next 3 in the world rankings are Cam Young, Bradley and Tony finau. After that your into the likes of Russell Henley and Kurt Kitayama. I think the movement of 'household names' to Liv means the US team appears weaker than it actually is, ie I i'm sure the Europeans fear Harman more than DJ or Bryson on current form.