Ryder Cup 2021

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I'd be very surprised if most, if not all pairings are not spat out of a computer based on each players game statistics.

Europe have been doing it for a few Ryder Cups.

Yes, they've been massively into the stats side of things which has helped a lot. If you look at the numbers above id imagine it's quite possible to drill down and pair people who have a good chance of playing well together in 4ball or 4somes.

I was thinking of having a go. Which stats do people think are most important for 4balls and 4somes?

peld

Visit site
question - they were saying both Lowry and Wiesberger could knock Westwood out the automatic spots this weekend.
do you then take Westy as a pick? his form has been poor recently and doesnt seem to be playing well this week

peld

Visit site
Nope.

To be honest, there's a few that are going to qualify automatically that probably shouldn't get a pick if they needed it.
agreed there. Fleetwood and Hatton wouldnt be getting picked if they needed it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
agreed there. Fleetwood and Hatton wouldnt be getting picked if they needed it.

Without good finishes this week, then Id probably agree, although im not sure the alternatives are better. However Fleetwood had a good result last week and he's playing well through 2 rounds today so he's found a little form.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
They're talking of Stenson on Sky as a possibility, he's been 4th, 3rd and 15th in the last three (European Tour). Currently -4 at the PGA. But he'd missed 11 of 19 cuts previously..

peld

Visit site
i think stenson is in with a shout for a pick. assuming the automatic ones go as assumed, and he then picks Poulter and Garcia, i think you have Rose, Stenson, Wiesberger, Noren, MacIntyre and even Willett all for consideration for the last pick.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t think it matters, although it is fun debating, because the same circumstances seems to happene every previous Ryder Cup year too

must admit I am having difficulty finding a website which shows me the current standings, and most import atl6 how many points one gets for what position this weekend ? Anyone any help?

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know the Ryder Cup has a bit of a cup final effect and players form doesn't always track with how they perform in the event. But think Europe are on for a real doing this year. Team looks quite poor (current form and world rankings) coupled with the home advantage for Americans.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I know the Ryder Cup has a bit of a cup final effect and players form doesn't always track with how they perform in the event. But think Europe are on for a real doing this year. Team looks quite poor (current form and world rankings) coupled with the home advantage for Americans.

I'm inclined to agree, although I'm a little more optimistic than a couple of weeks ago thanks to Fleetwood, Rose and a couple of others finding a bit of form.

The course looks like a somewhat odd pick from a US point of view, as off the fairways don't look like your standard bomb and gouge layout, so I don't think it will be too much of an advantage.

The form of the US players, home advantage and relatively few European fans will give them a massive advantage though. That and the statistics suggest they should be strong favourites.

This last place looks like a close call. Weisberger is doing all he can to take it. Westwood, I'm not so sure about, and he's one of my favourites players. Same for Fitzpatrick and Poulter. But golf being what it is, who knows what game they'll bring..

Pairings will be massive again, and it's here we generally get it right. Rahm, Hovland, McIlroy, Casey and Garcia will need a big week.

If points were handicap shots, I'd say we should be getting at least 4 of them.

More than happy to be wrong ??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nice insight from Brooks about his challenges of switching once a year to play team golf
In part; he's very much his own boss for most of the year on and off course. Fitting into someone else tournament schedule, even the non golf things, is quite an adjustment

(I wonder if some of the other global stars might be affected the same way, i.e they're so successful they don't usually have to make any concessions)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Nice insight from Brooks about his challenges of switching once a year to play team golf
In part; he's very much his own boss for most of the year on and off course. Fitting into someone else tournament schedule, even the non golf things, is quite an adjustment

(I wonder if some of the other global stars might be affected the same way, i.e they're so successful they don't usually have to make any concessions)

He was getting some stick on a Facebook Page over this, but I also read it as a useful insight on the differences...although not much of it was "news."

Good stats above... as ever, European Tour ( :) ) to to lose by 10 points... the reality is often quite different!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He was getting some stick on a Facebook Page over this, but I also read it as a useful insight on the differences...although not much of it was "news."

Good stats above... as ever, European Tour ( :) ) to to lose by 10 points... the reality is often quite different!

Just remembered what Horschel said at the weekend.... I know he's not (currently) in the team

He gets to the course 4 hours before tee off and he knows what he's doing for those 4 hours too.
So if a Ryder cup team meeting/post mortem or other team function were to encroach on that 4 hour period he has to change/adapt (& that 4hrs is well used/pretty crucial for him every other week of the season)

Might that affect how he plays?

We all have routines and the cream of the crop (mostly US players) are perhaps more set in their own routines and don't have to bend through the regular season as much as say Lowry might do

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Appears Bryson has wrecked his hands practicing for the Long Drive tournament he's playing in the day after the RC...
All doesn't sound cushty in the American camp...business as usual then:LOL: