Ryder Cup 2021

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think it about time to start this thread.

USA have just named their team, looking strong even if they have 6 debutants:
Daniel Berger, Scottie Scheffler, Harris English, Xander Schauffele , Jordan Spieth and Tony Finau are the Captain's Picks.
Collin Morikawa, Patrick Cantlay, Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau were the other qualifiers

peld

Visit site
Surprised that he didnt pick Na

I presume if Brooks doesnt play, Finau becomes the automatic place and he gets another pick? (which I suspect will be Reed vs Na)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
MApart from his, shall we say "controversial " win earlier in the year, Reed hasn't done that much really..
Only 4 top 10s and 5 missed cuts.
He's also dropped to 19th in the OWGR...
Scheffler is 20th but has shown better form recently and hasn't just had double pneumonia.....otherwise Srticker has gone with the OWGR
Brooks must be a doubt though..

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Course Preview

There's some drone flyover videos on Golf Weeks website. Here's the 1st Hole

Will be interested to see how it's set up, especially the rough. It looks like fairway is key, which seems to go against the US. Harrington said he didn't think the course was a big advantage for them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not so sure about that, reckon Stricker will be relieved to have a non-controversial reason for leaving him out.
I guess it depends how genuine the friction is between him and others. I just think Reed gets the Ryder Cup in a way many others in his team don't and he thrives in the atmosphere. I think the European team will be happy to find his name not on the sheet.

Would you put BDC in the same category of awkward person in the team for Stricker to manage? I can't work out how much friction with him is genuine and how much is artificially created?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Who do you think will be paired together? People are saying English is there to partner DeChambeau, Thomas with Spieth, Cantlay/Schauffele?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Who do you think will be paired together? People are saying English is there to partner DeChambeau, Thomas with Spieth, Cantlay/Schauffele?

People are pretty rude then about a guy who won twice on the PGA tour this year and came 3rd in the US Open lol, yeah only there to hold Brysons hand. I guess once youve written the same story that many times you start to believe it and then other stories follow

Expect theyll be working on their pairings whilst at Whistling Straits this week, think Stricker brighter than most and will find what works best for them

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I suspect a win this year would be the best win for some time. Here's a few stats with the main sheet sorted by: Shots Gained - Tee-to-Green (best to worst, green to red).

Note: Wiesberger's Strokes Gaines numbers are for European Tour, so should be looked at on the basis they're not being compared with USPGA Tour stats and would in reality be worse, to some unknown degree. He was however top of the European Tour rankings for SG Tee to Green.

1631537995230.png
As an aside, the last Ryder Cup had the European team with a World Ranking Average of 19 and the US, 11.

1631537819049.png

Attachments

• 1631273646272.png
    1631273646272.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1631273758591.png
    1631273758591.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 1631537720851.png
    1631537720851.png
    59 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
People are pretty rude then about a guy who won twice on the PGA tour this year and came 3rd in the US Open lol, yeah only there to hold Brysons hand. I guess once youve written the same story that many times you start to believe it and then other stories follow

Expect theyll be working on their pairings whilst at Whistling Straits this week, think Stricker brighter than most and will find what works best for them

I'd be very surprised if most, if not all pairings are not spat out of a computer based on each players game statistics.

Europe have been doing it for a few Ryder Cups.