Royal Porthcawl

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A few pics of Royal Porthcawl golf course from earlier this week. Click for larger versions.

Par 3 4th from the tee.

CIMG0301_800x600.jpg

From the 4th tee looking back across the 3rd green to the clubhouse.

CIMG0303_800x600.jpg

The par 5 5th from the tee, but playing as a par 4 with a temporary green.

CIMG0304_800x600.jpg

Approach to teh par 4 6th.

CIMG0305_800x600.jpg

Par 3 7th green from the left side of it.

CIMG0306_800x600.jpg

From the tee on the par 5 8th.

CIMG0308_800x600.jpg

Approach to the 8th.

CIMG0311_800x600.jpg

A fairway bunker 50yds short of the 'temporary' par 4 9th green.

CIMG0313_800x600.jpg

The par 4 10th

CIMG0317_800x600.jpg

11th, par 3.

CIMG0318_800x600.jpg

11th from a bit closer.

CIMG0319_800x600.jpg

the par 5 12th tee shot. You have to guess where to aim, which is fun.

CIMG0320_800x600.jpg

The 12th from about 150 out.

CIMG0321_800x600.jpg

The 12th green.

CIMG0327_800x600.jpg

Appraoch to the par 4 13th, green near the marker on the left.

CIMG0322_800x600.jpg

14th, par 3.

CIMG0324_800x600.jpg

The approach to the par 5 17th from the right side of the fairway.

CIMG0325_800x600.jpg

The walk down the par 4 18th fairway.

CIMG0326_800x600.jpg

Across the course to the clubhouse.

CIMG0329_800x600.jpg

A few from near the clubhouse approaching sunset after our competition round.

CIMG0330_800x600.jpgCIMG0331_800x600.jpgCIMG0332_800x600.jpgCIMG0335_800x600.jpg

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see why the jury is still out for you on Links golf. Looking at those pictures doesn't make me want to rush to play, but I think that has something to do with the gloomyness of Wales' weather (though, that looks like a sunny day for them! :D).

I think Hillside in the summer when the course is drier and the weather is (hopefully) a bit better will give you a better idea.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can see why the jury is still out for you on Links golf. Looking at those pictures doesn't make me want to rush to play, but I think that has something to do with the gloomyness of Wales' weather (though, that looks like a sunny day for them! :D).

I think Hillside in the summer when the course is drier and the weather is (hopefully) a bit better will give you a better idea.

Yes, jury very much still out.

I don't feel we got the full links experience as there was only a 10mph or so wind, and there was little run on the fairways and you could fire at pins without fear of being over the back.
The rough though is something else, as Scott will testify!

I'm hoping Hillside near the end of summer will be a different proposition, as I really want to like links golf just so I don't think there's something wrong with me!
So many people have it as their favourite type of course that there must be more to it than that.
The most common thought I had whilst playing it was "bleak".

Definitely not a fan of blind tee shots either. I don't mind not being able to see the landing area, but not having a clue what the line is just isn't funny.

Only 1 marker pole in a fairway on the whole of the course, and no strokesaver available to buy in the shop.

Now look what you've done. I said I wasn't going to judge yet! :mad:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
:D

I think the time of year doesn't help as the course obviously won't be in the best condition.

I want to get a 4 ball arranged here this summer: http://www.ashburnhamgolfclub.co.uk/

As it's supposed to be one of the best Links courses in Wales.

Especially if I can't afford to go to Hillside.

What about a game at Burnham and Berrow Jon. I would be up for that, proper links course in top 50 in UK from memory, and we have a member on the forum.;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Notice you didn't take any close up of the players Gary. Were they not photogenic ?:whistle:

It was more an afterthought most of the time. I'm not very good with a camera.

Plus, I didn't want to ruin the ultimate concentration that the demands of a fierce team competition requires.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
good photos Gary. I didn't manage to get my camera out of the car. It was a bit bleak when we played. especially on the first day.

I do like the challenge of links golf, and I love being by the sea. That said I wouldn't want to play it all the time, and I would hate to be there in January in a 20 mph wind in the drving rain.

Royal Portcawl is well worth a visit, I would maybe hesitate to pay the full summer green fee. It was a shame about the 2 temps but as I understand it, 2 greens are being remodelled as they are unplayable in certain conditions.

All in time for the seniors open in 2014.

T

thecraw

I guess its a shame that you didn't get a decent day on the links. The photos probably don't do the course justice.

saxmaster

Assistant Pro
Visit site
what rough would you be talking about Gary? i was fairway all the way haha, who ever follows me would have a fie;d day with brand spanking tm balls in the rough haha

D

Deleted Member 1156

Were these pics taken during the team competition on the 28th Feb by any chance? I played in that, sadly the 2 dimensional pics don't give a very good impression of the course. It is a very good course, well worth playing. I'd rate it much better than Ashburnham although that is also a good track.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were these pics taken during the team competition on the 28th Feb by any chance? I played in that, sadly the 2 dimensional pics don't give a very good impression of the course. It is a very good course, well worth playing. I'd rate it much better than Ashburnham although that is also a good track.

yes we had a team in the open comp, we came 5th and won an attractive putter cover.I enoyed the course and the atmosphere of the place. I would definitely go back maybe to combine it with somw of the other links courses in the area. Has anyone played Pennard??

D

Deleted Member 1156

Small world! I also played in that event, one of our guys won the nearest the pin.

I've played Pennard, the 'links in the sky'. Very good course although I felt some of the holes were a bit wide open.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
one of our guys won the nearest the pin. .

nearest the pin was about 20 inches wasn't it? you must have thought it was in!! That could have been costly for him :D

I thought I was in with a shout of longest drive. I hit a decent one up the 5th. It was the first shot of the day as that is where we started. Lucky Swinger had his special stretching post. !!!!!!!

As it worked out, someone beat me with 317 yards. I can't have quite caught mine aswell as I thought ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

therod

I see from the google maps location thread that you play at Brock. I was over there last weekend for the new members day. I'm thinking of joining