Ricky Fowler -Wrong Drop

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In Mexico, on his first hole (the 10th) Ricky just shanked one badly out of bounds and immediately dropped another ball, but from shoulder height. Not realising his breach of the new rule, which would have allowed a redrop before playing a shot, he played the ball. His caddy didn’t realise either. One penalty stroke for the out of bounds ... but what for the incorrect drop? None of the players, or the commentary team, seem to know. Whatever the penalty, it’s a disastrous start. Not sure why one can’t have the option to drop from the knee or the shoulder.

So the rule is drop from knee height.

Reason for this is the change was made to speed things up. When players are taking relief they often had to drop twice before placing as the ball would often roll too far away, or closer to the hole.

If the rule was changed to drop no lower than knee height, people could still tactically decide to drop from a higher height knowing there might be a reasonable chance of 2 bad drops and get to place.

I do think they could have put a temp or local rule in place to let people away with this for the 1st 6 months or so, but rules is rules.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a sensible
For which other broken rules would you give temporary dispensation?

Now now, no need to be a nippy sweetie.

Golf shoots itself in the foot with rules penalising players for gaining no advantage. While there is usually a logic for a rule being what it is, the casual golf fan (& even some keen golfers in this thread) can’t see the logic and simply see someone for being penalised despite no advantage being sought or gained.

Giving tournament referees some discretion (as officials have in almost all sports) would help alleviate these problems.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Can't see the problem. The rules have been in place for six weeks and the players and caddies have a duty to know them. If the players drops incorrectly he knows (or should know) the outcome

Rules should be in place to stop an ‘advantage’ nothing was gained from Rickies drop

Allow some semblance of common sense

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rules should be in place to stop an ‘advantage’ nothing was gained from Rickies drop

Allow some semblance of common sense
I agree with you but the rules are there for each and everyone from the high handicapper to the tour pro. While he didn't seek or actually gain an advantage he broke a rule, whether we consider it a bad one or not. It's been one of the most publicised changes running up to 1st January and so I think the player has to take the penalty and responsibility

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree with you but the rules are there for each and everyone from the high handicapper to the tour pro. While he didn't seek or actually gain an advantage he broke a rule, whether we consider it a bad one or not. It's been one of the most publicised changes running up to 1st January and so I think the player has to take the penalty and responsibility

I don’t if I was Rickie I’d be saying the rule is a joke you should only be penalised (like every other sport) if a clear action to gain an advantage on the rest of the field had occurred

I don’t get this knee height drop tbh it’s pathetic

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
in and of itself the rule did not need changing....however when you view the dropping rule alongside the change to the rule where the ball has to remain in the relief area (as opposed to last year where it could roll a further two club lengths) then there needed to be a change in the drop height to enable the ball to be more likely to remain in the relief area when dropping on sloping ground.

Agreed, and the problem with what some are suggesting with a drop between shoulder and knee height, is that dropping from shoulder height without the 2 club length roll, it would be easier to play the system. Drop roll, drop roll, then place. At least dropping from knee height it has a much higher percentage to stay in the relief area.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think we all know that players tactically and deliberately used to drop for a redrop and subsequent place
As said, leaving an unspecified shoulder to knee drop would have let that practice continue too and negate the point of changing the rule

I've only played a handful of rounds since the rule change, dropped from shoulder height once about a week after it changed and corrected it, can't ever see me doing it wrong again

Rookie error for any pro/caddie combo

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Problem is Ricky got done yet the way Bryson and Garcia have went on goes unpunished

It’s mental imo

Garcia was disqualified. Wasn’t he? Bryson’s latest was on the practice green (although he should have had something for his assault on the bunker last week)