Ruling/Spirit of the Game

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Had an incident in a match Friday.

My ball finished just past the green, in a tyre track, on a steep incline.

Called my oppo over, confirmed free relief, nearest point of relief marked with a tee, and one club length area determined.

I then went to drop inches behind the tee (within 1 club length), in the knowledge that the ball would roll back into the tyre track, repeat, place where drop landed which I’d decided was the more favourable position for my next shot.

Oppo was adamant I had to drop the full one club length.

The debate was taking too long and I didn’t want to sour the atmosphere so did as he wanted.

I’m sure I’m correct on the ruling (or am I?) but in hindsight I’m wondering if his point wasn’t the rule itself but sportsmanship i.e. knowingly dropping where I’d most likely get to place rather than further away to lessen the chance of such an outcome.

Thoughts?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I did this the other day, dropped knowing it would roll outside the drop area and I'd get a favourable place. I don't see how it's a problem.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As long as you drop withing the prescribed drop area and your ball stays in it, you can drop it where you like.
And when you place, you place where the ball lands.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In this case you are taking relief from an abnormal course condition. You have to drop within the relief area. The 1 club length merely defines the size of the relief area (with additional factors like not near the hole thrown in). Once the size & location of the relief area are determined, you have to drop within it. Anywhere within it. Can be close to one margin of it, or dead centre, on a bare bit or on a fluffy bit. Entirely up to you, as long as it is somewhere inside the area.

You can study the rules as much as you like, and you'll only find reference to dropping within the relief area. You'll not find any reference to whereabouts within the area.

If it happens to roll out of the area, there's a procedure to follow.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just one small point; which may, or may not have been relevant here but is important in the context of relief areas.

You relief area doesn't always consist of a full half moon 1cl area because any area within that half moon that wouldn't, if the ball remained at the point it struck the course, provide full relief from the ACC isn't a valid relief area. This is different from of a ball landing in a correct relief area rolling into a position where full relief hasn't been obtained, and the procedure outlined in the OP.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Had to think about that one Duncan. The tyre track was curved so there would indeed have been invalid areas within the half moon to drop. But my choice was fine.

Thanks for replies guys. I knew I was right but oppo was just as sure he was. That puts doubt in your mind. It was a good option just to agree though as ‘incident’ soon forgotten and remainder of round played in good spirits.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't think tyre tracks were an abnormal ground condition unless the committee had marked them as such, what was the rationale for obtaining relief?

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
So Rules always trumps ‘spirit’? If you sneeze on a backswing in a matchplay game are you not at liberty to offer a re-load?

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thought matchplay was different e.g. if you’re not sure of a rule, and you and opponent take a guess and it turns out to be wrong, no problem right? I thought this different application of rules extended to my sneeze example. I obviously mis remembered the details of Seve’s Fruitcake. I thought Price turned down the offer of a re load but it was a referee.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought matchplay was different e.g. if you’re not sure of a rule, and you and opponent take a guess and it turns out to be wrong, no problem right? I thought this different application of rules extended to my sneeze example. I obviously mis remembered the details of Seve’s Fruitcake. I thought Price turned down the offer of a re load but it was a referee.
For clarity -
Yes, if you don't know then what you agree becomes correct.
You may overlook a breach of the rules by your opponent - but as the opponent you cannot overlook your breach! Many find this confusing but it's really simple.
Both the above are fundamentally reliant on the basic principle that you can't ignore what you know - if you know a rule you can't agree something different to your advantage, ie take advantage of your opponents lack of knowledge; that, if anything, is where matchplay meets the spirit of the rules.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had an incident in a match Friday.

My ball finished just past the green, in a tyre track, on a steep incline.

Called my oppo over, confirmed free relief, nearest point of relief marked with a tee, and one club length area determined.

I then went to drop inches behind the tee (within 1 club length), in the knowledge that the ball would roll back into the tyre track, repeat, place where drop landed which I’d decided was the more favourable position for my next shot.

Oppo was adamant I had to drop the full one club length.

The debate was taking too long and I didn’t want to sour the atmosphere so did as he wanted.

I’m sure I’m correct on the ruling (or am I?) but in hindsight I’m wondering if his point wasn’t the rule itself but sportsmanship i.e. knowingly dropping where I’d most likely get to place rather than further away to lessen the chance of such an outcome.

Thoughts?

I don't really have a problem with that.

Ultimately your alternative would have been to drop in a place, knowing you were giving yourself a disadvantage.

One thing to note that I'm sure people don't always follow - when you are dropping and getting free relief from something you have to make sure you have taken full relief. i.e. dropping off a path, and down the right hand side of it, there's a nice strip of mown grass to drop in, followed by a load of hay. If you chose to drop, you would potentially have to drop far enough off the path to ensure you still weren't standing on the path. Which is why you certainly see guys on tour hitting it off a path from time to time.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep. The other oft abused practice I witness is NPR being interpreted as nearest advantageous point.

“Your NPR is in the middle of that bush.”
“But I can’t drop within 1 club length of there and have a shot.”

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't think tyre tracks were an abnormal ground condition unless the committee had marked them as such, what was the rationale for obtaining relief?

As far as I was aware, tyre tracks are classed as abnormal ground conditions and you’re entitled to a free drop. Not sure the OP has much more explanation than that 🤷🏻‍♂️

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As far as I was aware, tyre tracks are classed as abnormal ground conditions and you’re entitled to a free drop. Not sure the OP has much more explanation than that 🤷🏻‍♂️
The Official Guide to the Rules of Golf (page 389) gives guidance to committees around marking areas as GUR. This states that it is not appropriate to make a general declaration for all ruts made by maintenance vehicles to be defined as GUR.Any deep ruts should be marked by the committee using white lines or stakes.