Staying in the here and now. I didn't realise this well-used phrase meant two different things.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ever say to yourself “I’m a good golfer really, I just have 1 or 2 meltdowns where I hit a brutal shot and it goes to pieces for a hole or two. It comes out of nowhere”.

I've long been aware of staying in the now, thanks to Zen Golf by Joseph Parent and his advice on "anyways" (which boils down to - if you're about to hit a shot and realise something's wrong but think "I'll hit it anyway" - STOP! Step off, it won't end well). Staying in the present means not dwelling on the past (I find the Tiger line excellent - pick a line on the ground, say at the tee box, and say "Okay, I'm raging about that missed putt, but when I step over that line it's done, forgotten, move on and focus on the next shot”). It also means not living in the future, something I was particularly guilty of, projecting my score to the 18th, figuring out how many shots I could drop and still get cut or worse still, thinking about how great it was going to be telling the lads about my great round whilst stood on the 14th. All invite mayhem.

However.

I only recently figured out something else which is staying in the “here”, as opposed to the “now” above. I guess the most obvious example of this is when you’re on your backswing and there’s a noise (even a subtle one) from somewhere, inevitably it distracts you and you mess up. But what does that actually mean, distraction? What if it’s happening without the noise?

Back to the noise example. You didn’t take your eye off the ball, no one shoved you off balance, in theory you should have been able to swing fine. Plus I’ll wager if you were expecting that noise (say, you knew a train was passing - far louder than other noises that put you off), you could block it out and swing well. But your brain knows the train isn’t dangerous as long as you’re not near the track… We’re hard-wired to direct our senses at anything unexpected. If, for example, you’re aware of someone watching you from a distance somewhere behind you, as you step up to the ball your brain (for want of a better term, consciousness might be more acurate) may actually be over there, rather than over the ball where you would prefer it to be. It’s not necessarily the pressure of someone observing (it might be that too, but that’s not the point I’m making). It’s the fact that you are acutely aware someone is on your radar and your brain is focussing its significant sensory efforts on that person’s position, lest they move or make a noise, because that’s what your system is for. You sort of get used to your playing partners standing where they do and have faith they’re not going to move. You’ve done this 100s of times and nothing bad has happened so your brain is okay with them (basically Cognitive Behavioural Therapy!). But something or someone else, somewhere foreign is an unknown. You are very much in the now, but not the here.

And then there’s the sudden unexpected bird flapping in a tree that you hadn’t bargained on, again your system is built to react to it in case it’s danger. It’s more than just knocking you out of your rehearsed routine, it’s an inability to maintain balance because whether you know it or not, when you swing well your brain is centred (well, it should be!). When distracted it moves. Think about all the horrid shots you’ve hit distracted and ask yourself how many of those did you finish nicely balanced on? Think about those meltdown/out of nowhere shots. Balanced? Thing is you weren't doing it consciously, so immediately after the poor shot you may have attributed it to something else. Are you a better range player than course? What's the real difference? Could it be the enclosed, distraction-free, "safe" (for you - and your brain) envirnoment?

It’s been a revelation for me. I’m not there yet but just being aware of this means that if I feel like I'm becoming I’m distracted I can make a concerted effort to say to myself “STOP, shut it all out, bring your brain back over the ball, focus on the shot”. Just like I learnt to do with drifting into the future or dwelling on the past. Looking back I can trace so many poor shots to being somewhere else, so I’m hoping I can stay in the here AND now more often. I think some pople just do this naturally - good for you! I have to work at it.

Someone once said Tiger wasn’t the best anything in the game, but he hit more shots to the best of his ability more often than anyone else. Hopefully this will help your game (if you weren’t doing it already!) and you can cut out some of those meltdowns that seemingly come out of nowhere. If you could cut out just one, what a difference that would make? Imagine all of them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used to play with a guy who could hear a sparrow fart at 100 paces. The slightest thing could distract him, and it was as though he'd convinced himself that noises = bad shots. The vast majority of the time I don't even hear a noise. It probably registers but is immediately ignored. My thought process being why do I need my fight or flight senses switched on to max on a golf course? What is going to attack me?

Maybe its a bit like the cocktail party experiment. If someone shouts "FORE" I immediately turn away and cover my head.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
very good post.

I have written in another post that a well performed swing is entirely subconscious as soon as your conscious brain takes over it becomes messy, the same with any athletic movement.

So it stands to reason that should your subconscious get distracted during a swing, the swing itself will suffer.

How not to get distracted is a proper skill, and something very few will master. People will have periods where they can do it, which is what is called being in the zone. But being able to do it consistently and at will is incredibly difficult. Tiger was probably the best at it, and yet he didn't do it all the time

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to play with a guy who could hear a sparrow fart at 100 paces. The slightest thing could distract him, and it was as though he'd convinced himself that noises = bad shots. The vast majority of the time I don't even hear a noise. It probably registers but is immediately ignored. My thought process being why do I need my fight or flight senses switched on to max on a golf course? What is going to attack me?

Maybe its a bit like the cocktail party experiment. If someone shouts "FORE" I immediately turn away and cover my head.

But you can't switch on your flight or fight response, it is an innate part of your genetic make up

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But you can't switch on your flight or fight response, it is an innate part of your genetic make up

You can't switch it on or off but I did say "switched on to max."

Some people jump out of their skin at the least thing, whereas others process it better. As a long term sufferer of PTSD, and all the associated therapies, believe me you can control your responses.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting repsonses both.

Hobbit I'm sure many good golfers do this without really realising or doing it consciously. Thing is being aware you're victim to it is a decent % of the battle.

r0wly spot on about "the zone", I hadn't joined the dots. Was your post about the penalty taker in the "Scratch golf - Natural swing" thread? I read that as more the pressure of needing to perform when being watched or indeed mechanically thinking about your own movements. I think those are both completely valid issues. I guess this is another extension of where your subconscious is focussed. These systems are deep in the brain and very old, they may be thought of as "primitive" but in many ways those the most difficult to control!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting repsonses both.

Hobbit I'm sure many good golfers do this without really realising or doing it consciously. Thing is being aware you're victim to it is a decent % of the battle.

r0wly spot on about "the zone", I hadn't joined the dots. Was your post about the penalty taker in the "Scratch golf - Natural swing" thread? I read that as more the pressure of needing to perform when being watched or indeed mechanically thinking about your own movements. I think those are both completely valid issues. I guess this is another extension of where your subconscious is focussed. These systems are deep in the brain and very old, they may be thought of as "primitive" but in many ways those the most difficult to control!

Yes that was it. It wasn't exactly what we are talking about it here. But touched on the fact that you are swinging at your best when it is a completely subconscious mechanism.

It did go onto the point that being watched could move it to a conscious mechanism which is a lot worse at doing the same job.

If you think of catching or throwing a ball, you don't think like a lot of golfer and go throw the processes consciously: the ball is on this trajectory so if I put my hands here in this position and close them at this point etc. Your subconscious just does it, but as I said tapping into that is very difficult

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If, for example, you’re aware of someone watching you from a distance somewhere behind you, as you step up to the ball your brain (for want of a better term, consciousness might be more acurate) may actually be over there, rather than over the ball where you would prefer it to be. It’s not necessarily the pressure of someone observing (it might be that too, but that’s not the point I’m making). It’s the fact that you are acutely aware someone is on your radar and your brain is focussing its significant sensory efforts on that person’s position, lest they move or make a noise, because that’s what your system is for. You sort of get used to your playing partners standing where they do and have faith they’re not going to move. You’ve done this 100s of times and nothing bad has happened so your brain is okay with them (basically Cognitive Behavioural Therapy!). But something or someone else, somewhere foreign is an unknown. You are very much in the now, but not the here.

Very interesting post. I've cut out the bit that really chimes with me and specifically highlighted what - for me - is the reason behind why playing partners should - whenever possible - stand at the HNSP as we tee off. You have explained why I often ask someone to move from where they are standing - even although they might think they are standing someone quite innocent and appropriate. But that and HNSP were discussed in another very, very long debate from a few years ago :)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is something I have been working on a lot this year. At the start of the year I had a lot of doubles and triples in the course of a round, it was like once I had one that may day was over so might as well throw a couple more in there to really blow up the score for the day. I'd think about that one hole for the rest of the round and it just watched away my score. Until I realised that I just need to clear my mind and let the golf happen whether that be a birdie or a double. You can always get a dropped shot back someway later in the round with an extra par or two.

I have seen a vast improvement in my mental game now, I still have the odd double/triple here or there, but I am able to cope better with them after they have happened. I shot 81 a couple of weeks a go with a triple on the back 9, I ended up coming second on count back. Previously I would have cursed myself because I thought I should have won, but I think the better way to look it at is, look how well you done even though you had a bad hole. That way the brain doesn't see 81 as a bad score, its about taking the positives out of the overall picture.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great post and good point about being able to stop when getting distracted. Tiger was ridiculously good at that as well, so many examples of him pulling out of a shot right at the last second, almost at the point of making contact if he felt distracted.

Also have caught myself thinking - if I go 4 over thru the last 4 i'll make buffer easily - and making a right mess of it so definitely something I need to be more aware of and work on.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Very interesting post. I've cut out the bit that really chimes with me and specifically highlighted what - for me - is the reason behind why playing partners should - whenever possible - stand at the HNSP as we tee off. You have explained why I often ask someone to move from where they are standing - even although they might think they are standing someone quite innocent and appropriate. But that and HNSP were discussed in another very, very long debate from a few years ago :)

Sorry what is HNSP?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow, 68 pages spanning over a year. That is a monster

...and that was the follow-on thread to the original one :)

But since you asked - and I'll try and not be contentious.

HNSP stands for Historic Natural Standing Position (we made that up - may have been DfT). And it's all about where players should stand when at the teeing ground as another player tees off. I learned the basic rules of etiquette from grizzly old guys I played with from about 1970 at a Glasgow municipal course. If they were in their 60s (and some would have been well over that age) and had been playing since wee, they'd have learned their etiquette in Edwardian times...from players who learned theirs in the 1800s.

And they told me in no uncertain terms where I should always try and stand when at the tee as another player was teeing off. This we (here) called the HNSP. And going back to what you have posted - you can see why. Because in your argument, if we know consistently - round in round out - week after week - pretty much where everyone we might find ourselves playing with is going to be standing when we tee off, then our thinking is here and focussed - it is not there and wondering.

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last edited: