Practice during round

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing a stableford qualifier last week when guy who’s card I’m marking loses his ball from his tee shot on 10th. Evidently, he can’t be bothered going back so he plays another into the green just for interest and putts out. I had assumed that he had found his ball, I was marking his card and when asked to clarify his score on the hole he explained “ no score just played one down”. On the next hole he scores a 5 and after this I consult my players guide to the rules and advise him it’s a 2 shot penalty and that he has, in fact scored a seven on that hole.

When we got in I was called for all sorts by our roll up. What would you have done?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing a stableford qualifier last week when guy who’s card I’m marking loses his ball from his tee shot on 10th. Evidently, he can’t be bothered going back so he plays another into the green just for interest and putts out. I had assumed that he had found his ball, I was marking his card and when asked to clarify his score on the hole he explained “ no score just played one down”. On the next hole he scores a 5 and after this I consult my players guide to the rules and advise him it’s a 2 shot penalty and that he has, in fact scored a seven on that hole.

When we got in I was called for all sorts by our roll up. What would you have done?
Wait, what for??

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
See rule 5.5 a

Penalty for Breach of Rule 5.5: General Penalty.
If the breach happens between two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It did happen between holes, he gave up on the hole, therefore he'd "finished" that hole surely. Seems a bit harsh but play by the rules! I would have loved to NR a hole and take a few practice strokes today but didn't.

In answer the op, (if i'd know the rule) I'd have queried the score as you did, and any issue would've just said lets check when back at the clubhouse. If its a rollup fair to just air what happened and get agreement on the actual score.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you are over-interpreting the rules Rule 21 states that ''To help pace of play, players are encouraged to stop playing a hole when their score will result in zero points.''
However it does not require them to do so and although
''The hole is completed when the player holes out, chooses not to do so or when his or her score will result in zero points.''
I have never heard of this beinf rigourously appled and peopel therefore making practice striokes every time their score would be net zero I think your interpretation of the rule is incorrect.

D

Deleted member 15344

See rule 5.5 a

Is that not only if your club has applied the Local Rule that means practise is not allowed during the competition ( like they have in Pro events )

If the rule is not in place you can for example practice your putting - once the hole is complete and you are not causing undue delay on others

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
See rule 5.5 a

By the way 5.5 also states
''These are not practice strokes:

• A practice swing made with no intent to strike a ball.
  • Hitting a ball back to a practice area or to another player, when done solely as a courtesy.
  • Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.''

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
“Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.''

Surely that’s matchplay?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it's stableford and he's out of the hole through lost ball or too many shots then the outcome of the hole has been decided and he's scored no points on that hole.

D

Deleted member 15344

penalty

Practising During Round or While Play Is Stopped

a
No Practice Strokes While Playing Hole
While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.
These are not practice strokes:
  • Hitting a ball back to a practice area or to another player, when done solely as a courtesy.
  • Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.

b
Restriction on Practice Strokes Between Two Holes
Between two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke.
Exception – Where Player Allowed to Practise Putting or Chipping: The player may practise putting or chipping on or near:
  • The putting green of the hole just completed and any practice green (see Rule 13.1e), and
  • The teeing area of the next hole.
But such practice strokes must not be made from a bunker and must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).
See Committee Procedures, Section 8; Model Local Rule I-2 (the Committee may adopt a Local Rule prohibiting practice putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole just completed).

Have highlighted the appropriate area

In Stableford and the Ball is lost it’s result is already confirmed so there is no punishment for just hitting another ball on that hole

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
“Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.''

Surely that’s matchplay?
Doesn't say so and result is not a definition .
However that is what I would normally take it to be, I must admit, I would feel myself to be on very unsure ground in calling a penalty someone at most I would suggest asking the commitee before signing off.

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
penalty

Practising During Round or While Play Is Stopped

a
No Practice Strokes While Playing Hole
While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.
These are not practice strokes:
  • Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.

b
Restriction on Practice Strokes Between Two Holes
Between two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke.
Exception – Where Player Allowed to Practise Putting or Chipping: The player may practise putting or chipping on or near:
  • The putting green of the hole just completed and any practice green (see Rule 13.1e), and
  • The teeing area of the next hole.
But such practice strokes must not be made from a bunker and must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).
See Committee Procedures, Section 8; Model Local Rule I-2 (the Committee may adopt a Local Rule prohibiting practice putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole just completed).

Have highlighted the appropriate area

In Stableford and the Ball is lost it’s result is already confirmed so there is no punishment for just hitting another ball on that hole

Hi

not sure I agree with your interpretation. “Result”suggests matchplay, stroke play would refer to “score”.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think it was practice, surely the offence relates to playing from the wrong place or something. I don't think saying your out of a hole is really a thing.
It seems to me you were wrong to mark a 7 down.

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
To me the reason the penalty applies to the next hole is because there is no point in applying a penalty when you cannot score anyway. What if he’d chucked a couple of balls down and hit them into the green?

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
To me the reason the penalty applies to the next hole is because there is no point in applying a penalty when you cannot score anyway. What if he’d chucked a couple of balls down and hit them into the green?
So what would happen in those circumstances, and why is it different?