Practice during round

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah I find it confusing, I'll play on if I can't score sometimes. You could probably call it practice 😂

You might call it that, but it's OK if your still playing out the hole under the Rules. Not if you pick it up though and then "just play one up". At that point, your between 2 holes.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is what the Rules say as an example of when a player is between 2 holes in Stableford "When the player has holed out, or has picked up after scoring zero points". In this case, it is quite clear that the player has picked up and ended the hole. However, had they already had too many shots and were going to score zero points anyway, they can still play on as per the rules, because they haven't picked up. So the penalty wouldn't apply in that case.
Except they haven't actually picked up, they have lost the ball and substituted it all be it contrary to the rules.

Swango1980

Visit site
Except they haven't actually picked up, they have lost the ball and substituted it all be it contrary to the rules.

They didn't substitute it, because you can't substitute a lost ball by just dropping one down. They knew this, hence they knew they had no score for the hole. They had picked up their ball (even if it is metaphorically speaking, as they couldn't actually find their ball)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
5.5a While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.

These are not practice strokes:

Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.

Swango1980

Visit site
5.5a While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.

Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.

But you'd agree they are not playing out a hole when they just drop a ball and play on up? The purpose of that wording is so that a player can continue playing the hole (like a medal) even if they can't score points (i.e. they are still playing out the hole under the Rules of Golf).

The rules clearly state that the player is between the play of 2 holes in Stableford once they have picked up, so I can't see how this statement can be completely ignored and you assume they are "playing out the hole" when in fact they've already given up on the hole.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Either way its nit picking

It's a stableford comp. You can blob holes so it doesn't matter if it got 7 pen shots on the hole he would get just a blob

So it's a pointless argument

The fact that in the OP the person didnt know he was out the hole until he told him on the green sums it's up so could have easily been just a pen for being in a hazard or something

Should be praising the guys honesty not giving him a pen for no reason

Swango1980

Visit site
Either way its nit picking

It's a stableford comp. You can blob holes so it doesn't matter if it got 7 pen shots on the hole he would get just a blob

So it's a pointless argument

The fact that in the OP the person didnt know he was out the hole until he told him on the green sums it's up so could have easily been just a pen for being in a hazard or something

Should be praising the guys honesty not giving him a pen for no reason

You're missing the point entirely. You're logic suggests you can drop as many balls as you like and just start hitting balls to the green, as you still get a blob. Effectively you could have many practice shots and simply say "I'm just playing the wrong ball, put me down for a blob"

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're missing the point entirely. You're logic suggests you can drop as many balls as you like and just start hitting balls to the green, as you still get a blob. Effectively you could have many practice shots and simply say "I'm just playing the wrong ball, put me down for a blob"

Entirely within the rules tho, hit one.. cant see it end.. I'll just play a provisional.. oh wait didnt see that either I'll play another incase

Can technically do that forever.

The bloke has done nothing wrong yet has a pen for a hole he played entirely within the rules of the game

Many times I cant score I'll just pick up and dust myself off for the next hole but my pp encourages me to play on ..wont be doing so if people about who wrongly think this is a penalty

Plus he only played one ball into the green not 7

He lost his ball

What's to stop him using the new rule of stroke and distance 2 pens rather than going back to the tee? He could still blob..

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I've not seen anyone suggest you could play multiple balls . Just you.
I'm specifically talking about the op here he put a new ball in play after he lost his first.
I personally don't see it as practice, but it's not something id do anyway. I have seen it though I think.
My view was he played out the hole from the wrong place. If that's wrong , no problem.

Swango1980

Visit site
Entirely within the rules tho, hit one.. cant see it end.. I'll just play a provisional.. oh wait didnt see that either I'll play another incase

Can technically do that forever.

The bloke has done nothing wrong yet has a pen for a hole he played entirely within the rules of the game

Many times I cant score I'll just pick up and dust myself off for the next hole but my pp encourages me to play on ..wont be doing so if people about who wrongly think this is a penalty

Plus he only played one ball into the green not 7

He lost his ball

What's to stop him using the new rule of stroke and distance 2 pens rather than going back to the tee? He could still blob..

Again, you are wrong.

He could have hit a provisional. He could have gone back and play 3 off the tee. He did neither. He gave up the hole, and then put another ball down and then played it, not under the rules in any way, shape or form.

I believe the new rule you are referring to is, if you hit your ball OB you can drop the ball and add 2 penalty shots rather than go back to the tee? If that's the case, it is important to stress that this is ONLY if the club have this set as a local rule / condition of the competition. In my experience, very few clubs have elected to run with this. However, it is clear from the original wording that at no point did the player state that this is what he was doing, it is clear that he had already abandoned the hole and was just knocking another ball up to the green. As such, the rules state he is between the play of 2 holes, and the penalty applies to the next hole.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've not seen anyone suggest you could play multiple balls . Just you.
I'm specifically talking about the op here he put a new ball in play after he lost his first.
I personally don't see it as practice, but it's not something id do anyway. I have seen it though I think.
My view was he played out the hole from the wrong place. If that's wrong , no problem.

How could he be playing out the hole, when he already knows he is out of the hole? That's a contradiction. I would only go along with that argument if the player genuinely believed they were still playing out the hole and not realising they were playing from the wrong place.

As I said previously, let's say the scenario happened to you, and you decided you didn't want to go back to the tee. Would you be happy to drop a ball 180 yards from the green and hit an approach, knowing that the next hole is a 180 yard par 3. Or, would you be happy if another player in your group did it? If yes, then that's a scary though. If no, then at what point do you think it's OK?

I appreciate that you have interpreted the rule in the way you think fits, so not having a go. However, I still firmly believe you are incorrect in your interpretation. I was just stating multiple balls as another extreme scenario of the same situation.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
How could he be playing out the hole, when he already knows he is out of the hole? That's a contradiction. I would only go along with that argument if the player genuinely believed they were still playing out the hole and not realising they were playing from the wrong place.

As I said previously, let's say the scenario happened to you, and you decided you didn't want to go back to the tee. Would you be happy to drop a ball 180 yards from the green and hit an approach, knowing that the next hole is a 180 yard par 3. Or, would you be happy if another player in your group did it? If yes, then that's a scary though. If no, then at what point do you think it's OK?

I appreciate that you have interpreted the rule in the way you think fits, so not having a go. However, I still firmly believe you are incorrect in your interpretation. I was just stating multiple balls as another extreme scenario of the same situation.

You won’t explain why you’re ignoring the one rule that clearly allows it. Here it is AGAIN.

Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided

Result was decided when he deemed he couldn’t score on the hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from the fact that that is the rule, it is very common for players to continue to hit balls to the green or even the hole itself when they are 'out' of a stableford hole. Although it may not help pace of play.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Its the inconsistency I find hard to understand, 1 player who doesn't know the rules can be treated different to one who does, seems at odds to me.
I'd not be bothered if someone dropped a ball from 180 and carried on, i dont see how they are getting any more advantage than say if i cant score but am still 180 out having not dropped a ball. Im still going to get valuable info on how the greens are playing, what the wind is doing etc..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Apart from the fact that that is the rule, it is very common for players to continue to hit balls to the green or even the hole itself when they are 'out' of a stableford hole. Although it may not help pace of play.

Totally correct, I've done it many a time. I'm certainly not going to walk a par 5 and not play it unless I've blobbed after a poor chip on or similar

Swango1980

Visit site
You won’t explain why you’re ignoring the one rule that clearly allows it. Here it is AGAIN.

Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided

Result was decided when he deemed he couldn’t score on the hole.

I did reply to that, you just decided to ignore it and say the same again. They were not "playing out a hole" as they'd given up on it. Just dropping a ball down is no longer playing out the hole, unless it was done under the rules. The rule you state simply clarifies that a player can continue to play the hole, as they'd do in medal, without risking a penalty because they could no longer score points. They'd still be legitimately playing out the hole in that case. However, the rules also state once the player has given the hole up in Stableford, they are then between the play of 2 holes. They are not still playing the hole, and therefore cant just drop a ball where they like and hit a shot from there.

Swango1980

Visit site
Totally correct, I've done it many a time. I'm certainly not going to walk a par 5 and not play it unless I've blobbed after a poor chip on or similar
So, regardless that the rules do not permit it, and even if this was clarified to you, you would still be happy to break it regardless? Interesting ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its the inconsistency I find hard to understand, 1 player who doesn't know the rules can be treated different to one who does, seems at odds to me.
I'd not be bothered if someone dropped a ball from 180 and carried on, i dont see how they are getting any more advantage than say if i cant score but am still 180 out having not dropped a ball. Im still going to get valuable info on how the greens are playing, what the wind is doing etc..

How many people reputt a hole when they have missed a 4 footer the tapped in? Seen it done loads

Its not practicing so long as it's a hole you have already played

Swango1980

Visit site
In a friendly match, I'm not bothered either. In a competition, I'd hate to penalise a player for it, like any other rule. I'd always try and stop them if I can before they make the infringement. But, at the same time, if they did do it I'd have a responsibility to raise it to protect the rights of everyone else in the field.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey - still going on 😲

Spoke to rules ref today.

He believed it to be no penalty due to the hole score being already decided and a player just playing out that hole - nice and simple.