Ball moved by outside influence during downswing

Steven Rules

Visit site
Ok, I now understand what the rules say.

But nobody has yet explained why if someone is in their downswing and an outside agency knocks their ball away resulting in an air shot, having to count that shot is equitable wrt the rest of the field. Come on rules experts, give us the rationale.
Can you explain why you think it should be treated any differently from the wind blowing the ball off a tee during a stroke?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you explain why you think it should be treated any differently from the wind blowing the ball off a tee during a stroke?
OK, that's a good point. Just another instance of bad luck.
And as you pointed out in a previous reply, chances of it actually happening are vanishingly small. I only asked about it because it almost happened on Monday.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I read this thread shortly after listening to Ask The Umpire on TMS. The similarities are striking. Maybe the R&A need to consider bringing in a dead-ball rule to cope with some scenarios.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read this thread shortly after listening to Ask The Umpire on TMS. The similarities are striking. Maybe the R&A need to consider bringing in a dead-ball rule to cope with some scenarios.
I suspect that the incidences are so few that the R&A/USGA wouldn't think it worth making a rule that would have a large element of judgement involved. eg Did the player have enough time to make an attempt to pull out of the stroke or take action to avoid the ball.