Ball at rest on Fairway moved by an Outside influence

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A referee at our Club advised a member that if a fellow competitor hits my ball on the Fairway the balls are played as they lie. Looking at Rule 9.6 I would have thought my ball would have been replaced.

I tried to give an example that if it caused my ball to go OB would I be penalised! I was not talking to the referee.

I take it that a fellow competitor's ball is an outside influence.

Thought Rule 9.6 was relevant

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
A referee at our Club advised a member that if a fellow competitor hits my ball on the Fairway the balls are played as they lie. Looking at Rule 9.6 I would have thought my ball would have been replaced.

I tried to give an example that if it caused my ball to go OB would I be penalised! I was not talking to the referee.

The referee was wrong. A "fellow-competitor" (a term not used in the 2019 Rules) is an outside influence and signifies stroke play. If a player's ball is moved by an outside agency, which include a "fellow-competitor's" ball, the ball that was at rest must be replaced at its original spot. The original spot must be estimated if not known precisely.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The referee was wrong. A "fellow-competitor" (a term not used in the 2019 Rules) is an outside influence and signifies stroke play. If a player's ball is moved by an outside agency, which include a "fellow-competitor's" ball, the ball that was at rest must be replaced at its original spot. The original spot must be estimated if not known precisely.
Thanks Rulie, appreciate your help.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

You're correct all the way through. That was a surprisingly basic error by the referee.

salfordlad

Visit site
In sum, key issue is whether your ball, that was struck and moved/deflected by another, was at rest or moving at the time of the contact. If at rest, 9.6 applies, replace ball. If moving, 11.1 applies, play as lies (possible exceptions apply on the putting green).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ever seen or heard of that happening?

Neither seen nor heard of. I did , however, see an unfortunate duck brought down in mid-air on Cardrona. The player's ball landed on the course but his punishment was having to put up with a barrage of bad puns about shooting birdies.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You're correct all the way through. That was a surprisingly basic error by the referee.
In all fairness to the referee, I had a 'discussion' with a fellow member about the ruling. He did not accept what I thought and contacted our referee. I have not heard it direct from the referee.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Neither seen nor heard of. I did , however, see an unfortunate duck brought down in mid-air on Cardrona. The player's ball landed on the course but his punishment was having to put up with a barrage of bad puns about shooting birdies.

My mate lobbed his ball on to the back of a goose on Saturday, it would have gone in the bunker but the goose bounce caused it to finish on the fringe. We also did the birdie puns. It appears that golfers are not imaginative! :LOL:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, happened to me years ago at Greenburn GC.
I teed off at the 3rd hole my ball collided with another ball in mid air above the 2nd green.my ball was OK the other went OOB.

Which is a great example of the truth of the mantra, "if it could happen in golf, someday it will happen".

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

When you say "hit" do you mean "sruck with a club, made a stroke at" or balls collided?