Tee shot ball moves (stroke made) but stays in the teeing area.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Had this come up yesterday and just wondered if any experts know the ruling.

Mate goes to play the ball from the Tee he was actually taking a stroke (not a practise swing) and totally miss hit it to the point that it dribbles between his feet but stays in the teeing area.

He says if it stays in the teeing area he can re-tee and there is no penalty. We were only out for a knock but if I was in that position in a comp what would the ruling be just so that I don't fall foul/lose out as I would have said I was playing my second shot. I couldn't find anything definitive in the rules or on here apart from moving the ball during a practise swing.

Thanks

Swango1980

Visit site

Mate goes to play the ball from the Tee he was actually taking a stroke (not a practise swing) and totally miss hit it to the point that it dribbles between his feet but stays in the teeing area.

He says if it stays in the teeing area he can re-tee and there is no penalty. We were only out for a knock but if I was in that position in a comp what would the ruling be just so that I don't fall foul/lose out as I would have said I was playing my second shot. I couldn't find anything definitive in the rules or on here apart from moving the ball during a practise swing.

Thanks
Yes, if it is in the teeing area, he can retee and hit his second.

Note, the teeing area (just in case there is any confusion for people reading) is the rectangle between the two tee pegs, to an imaginary line 2 club lengths back. The teeing area is NOT the whole tee box.

The Rule is 6.2

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Thanks

Does that mean you both agreed it would be the second shot & no penalty to add (as your mate said)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's correct. No penalty, just count the stroke and carry on with what will be your second shot.
As per others, the stroke which merely dislodged the ball from the tee-peg is stroke 1. There's no penalty and his next shot is stroke 2. But, as the ball is still in the teeing ground, he does not have to play it as it lies. If he wants to, he can pick it up, put it back on a tee-peg, and play from anywhere in the teeing ground. Or he can just play it as it lies. His choice. As Swango says - its all in Rule 6.2

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That's correct. No penalty, just count the stroke and carry on with what will be your second shot.

Yeah thought so.
Dunno why I just got the impression from reading the opening post there might've been a difference of opinion between the two players but couldn't see what it was :unsure:

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks all - sorry I should have worded that better - just to clarify he said it did not count as a stroke because it stayed in the teeing area. So he re-teed it and re-played what he said was his first shot. I thought it should have been his second shot

I must admit I wasn't aware that he could re-tee it in those circumstances. I would have played it as it laid for my second shot.

Swango1980

Visit site
Thanks all - sorry I should have worded that better - just to clarify he said it did not count as a stroke because it stayed in the teeing area. So he re-teed it and re-played what he said was his first shot. I thought it should have been his second shot

I must admit I wasn't aware that he could re-tee it in those circumstances. I would have played it as it laid for my second shot.
Ahhh, he is definitely pulling a fast one there.

His first shot certainly does count

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Thanks, Yeah that makes more sense. 2nd shot all day & option to re-tee if its still in the defined area

(I wonder; if he had missed the ball altogether does he also believe that a total 'fresh air tee-shot' doesn't count as a stroke?)

Steven Rules

Visit site
he does not have to play it as it lies. If he wants to, he can pick it up, put it back on a tee-peg, and play from anywhere in the teeing ground. Or he can just play it as it lies. His choice. As Swango says - its all in Rule 6.2
To be even more precise, it is 6.2b(5) and (6).

And he can also play it (or another ball) from the ground from anywhere in the teeing area without re-teeing it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be even more precise, it is 6.2b(5) and (6).

And he can also play it (or another ball) from the ground from anywhere in the teeing area without re-teeing it.
So if his ball goes backwards a bit ( say two foot) can he then re tee forward of this spot at the front of the teeing area closer to the hole.?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Yes. If the ball is in the teeing area it can be moved amd played from anywjere else in the teeing area. It can be teed up or played off the ground. It may be closer to the hole than the original ball position.

Steven Rules

Visit site
And, of course, this applies any time the ball is in the teeing area, including after taking relief. The fluffed tee shot is not the sole applicable scenario.

For example, you hit your tenth shot from the fairway, it hits a tree and rebounds back to the teeing area. The ball may be lifted and played from anywhere in the teeing area. The ball may be teed and another ball may be used.

For another example, a mangled tee shot ends up on a path adjacent to the teeing area or in some GUR just forward of the teeing area. If normal 16.1b relief has the relief area back in the teeing area and the ball is dropped there - same thing - the ball may be lifted and played from anywhere in the teeing area, including off a tee.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
And, of course, this applies any time the ball is in the teeing area, including after taking relief. The fluffed tee shot is not the sole applicable scenario.

For example, you hit your tenth shot from the fairway, it hits a tree and rebounds back to the teeing area. The ball may be lifted and played from anywhere in the teeing area. The ball may be teed and another ball may be used.

For another example, a mangled tee shot ends up on a path adjacent to the teeing area or in some GUR just forward of the teeing area. If normal 16.1b relief has the relief area back in the teeing area and the ball is dropped there - same thing - the ball may be lifted and played from anywhere in the teeing area, including off a tee.
If this situation ever happens to a player, I'm not sure they'd be smugly teeing the ball back up in the teeing area, proud that they know this rule and telling those around them "sometimes the rules work to your advantage" :)

salfordlad

Visit site
???