putting an improperly replaced ball on the green

Ricknew

Visit site
Trying to find a clarification on a green incident. After marking my ball on the side to give another player a clearer path on his putt, I improperly replaced the ball in front of the mark and made the putt. After teeing off on the next tee a competitor asked me if I replaced the ball on the side. I said I don't thinkI did. What is the penalty here and how should it have been handled. Thanks

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Trying to find a clarification on a green incident. After marking my ball on the side to give another player a clearer path on his putt, I improperly replaced the ball in front of the mark and made the putt. After teeing off on the next tee a competitor asked me if I replaced the ball on the side. I said I don't thinkI did. What is the penalty here and how should it have been handled. Thanks
In stroke play, it is a two stroke penalty for playing from a wrong place (Rule 14.7), applied to the hole at which it occurred. In match play, it would be loss of that hole.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In stroke play, it is a two stroke penalty for playing from a wrong place (Rule 14.7), applied to the hole at which it occurred. In match play, it would be loss of that hole.
Do you not need to go back and correct the error before teeing off at the next hole?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do you not need to go back and correct the error before teeing off at the next hole?

Reading 14.7 it looks like it all depends on whether its a serious breach or not a serious breach as to whether it must be corrected before teeing off on next hole
(serious breach being one where player could have gained a significant advantage by playing from a wrong place)

I guess Rulie is saying a ball played to the side of its original position on putting green isn't a serious breach (significant advantage) So its just the general penalty (+2)

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Reading 14.7 it looks like it all depends on whether its a serious breach or not a serious breach as to whether it must be corrected before teeing off on next hole
(serious breach being one where player could have gained a significant advantage by playing from a wrong place)

I guess Rulie is saying a ball played to the side of its original position on putting green isn't a serious breach (significant advantage) So its just the general penalty (+2)
Correct - no significant advantage gained by the playing from a wrong place. The two penalty strokes are sufficient. If there was a serious breach (a significant advantage over playing from the right place), the player would still get the two penalty strokes and would need to correct by playing from the right place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does what happened to Lexi Thompson some years back when she did same as OP incident still apply. She got a two shot penalty for playing from wrong place, plus a further two shot penalty for signing for a wrong score as she didn’t correct and take the two shot penalty before signing her card.

I know (think) the 2nd penalty doesn’t apply in OP scenario as the 1st penalty was applied before the card was signed and submitted. Though reading the OP description it’s not clear if the two shot penalty was added before the card was signed.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Exception to 3.3b(3) Failure to Include Unknown Penalty

If one or more of the player’s hole scores are lower than the actual scores because they excluded one or more penalty strokes that the player did not know about before returning the scorecard:

*The player is not disqualified.

*Instead, if the mistake is found before the close of the competition, the Committee will revise the player’s score for that hole or holes by adding the penalty stroke(s) that should have been included in the score for that hole or holes under the Rules.

This exception does not apply:

*When the excluded penalty is disqualification, or

*When the player was told that a penalty might apply or was uncertain whether a penalty applied and did not raise this with the Committee before returning the scorecard.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exception to 3.3b(3) Failure to Include Unknown Penalty

If one or more of the player’s hole scores are lower than the actual scores because they excluded one or more penalty strokes that the player did not know about before returning the scorecard:

*The player is not disqualified.

*Instead, if the mistake is found before the close of the competition, the Committee will revise the player’s score for that hole or holes by adding the penalty stroke(s) that should have been included in the score for that hole or holes under the Rules.

This exception does not apply:

*When the excluded penalty is disqualification, or

*When the player was told that a penalty might apply or was uncertain whether a penalty applied and did not raise this with the Committee before returning the scorecard.
The rules must have been changed after the Lexi Thompson incident. Her mistake was picked up by a TV viewer and reported - Thompson and the organisers did not know of what had happened and that a penalty should be applied to her score until after she had signed her card.

salfordlad

Visit site
The rules must have been changed after the Lexi Thompson incident. Her mistake was picked up by a TV viewer and reported - Thompson and the organisers did not know of what had happened and that a penalty should be applied to her score until after she had signed her card.
The putting green rules are so much friendlier now, thanks to the very public problems of DJ, Lexi and Billy Horschel putting (oops) the blow torch on RBs.

Now if we can just get more simplicity in the presentation of balls bumping into various things on the green ...

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The putting green rules are so much friendlier now, thanks to the very public problems of DJ, Lexi and Billy Horschel putting (oops) the blow torch on RBs.

Now if we can just get more simplicity in the presentation of balls bumping into various things on the green ...
Ah yes. Back to the good old simple days of 2019.

D

Deleted member 23344

A suggestion … always use a one sided marker and, when moving your ball to the side, place the marker with the blank side uppermost. Then, when returning to place your ball, the upturned marker will remind you.