Putting green markers

Tony B

Visit site
My course has installed green marker posts linked by rope across the front of each Green Apron to direct trolleys to the side. Should the situation arise that the ball lies close to the line or post, can the post be removed to make the stroke and then replaced?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Depends. Your Committee should have designated them either movable or immovable. If they haven't, you should ask them to provide clarity.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My course has installed green marker posts linked by rope across the front of each Green Apron to direct trolleys to the side. Should the situation arise that the ball lies close to the line or post, can the post be removed to make the stroke and then replaced?

The club should give guidance.

Ours are fixed, free relief for interference of stance or swing. If your ball hits one you have the option of playing as it lies or replaying the shot.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The club should give guidance.

Ours are fixed, free relief for interference of stance or swing. If your ball hits one you have the option of playing as it lies or replaying the shot.
Oh, a non-conforming local rule!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends. Your Committee should have designated them either movable or immovable. If they haven't, you should ask them to provide clarity.
They are movable obstructions unless defined to be immovable by the Committee or cannot be moved without unreasonable effort or without damaging the obstruction or the course.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough...so has mine....our greenkeeper is called Tony B.

Given the nature of our posts it looks to me like the intention is that they are not to be removed.....this post has come as a reminder that I need to check with our handicapping and rules guy whether an LR is in place to guide folks as to what they can/cannot do.

Steven Rules

Visit site
.....this post has come as a reminder that I need to check with our handicapping and rules guy whether an LR is in place to guide folks as to what they can/cannot do.
It's disappointing that you need to physically seek out someone on the Committee and ask them about the existence or otherwise of a Local Rule. (Although I am sure this isn't too onerous.) Aren't the Local Rules displayed prominently in a book or on a notice board or on the club's website to allow members and visitors to check for themselves?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It's disappointing that you need to physically seek out someone on the Committee and ask them about the existence or otherwise of a Local Rule. (Although I am sure this isn't too onerous.) Aren't the Local Rules displayed prominently in a book or on a notice board or on the club's website to allow members and visitors to check for themselves?
The local rules are published....it is just a case as to whether it has been publicised by the committee whether the new marker posts/rope (we've never had them before around our greens) are to be considered immovable obstructions or otherwise.

It may have already been covered...I only thought about it (when I saw the posts/ropes for the first time whilst taking a brief non golfing stroll around the course on Sunday afternoon) because unlike thin metal spikes that are easy to replace once taken out, these posts are maybe 3" square and repeated removal and replacement would just build a bigger hole....so the green-keeping staff's preference might be that they are not removed.